Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fightstar Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Now I want to rewatch Evangalion after listening to the bands discog today

Devil grew on me more. I like that they decided to add synths into a few of the songs as a new sonic palette for them to play with. I like when synths are used aggressively

SpyKi likes this.
  2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

You an Evangelion fan? I originally got into it back when I first got really into Fightstar.

Devil grows on me every time I listen to it, I have so much fun listening to that album.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

I am! Probably my go-to "if you want to get into anime watch this" show aside from Cowboy Bebop. I think it does the "humans piloting mechs" thing better than other animes of that type.

SpyKi likes this.
  4. SpyKi

Yeah it's still probably top 5 for me. End of Evangelion is one of my favourite films too.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Oh hello, New Thread I Forgot I Needed In My Life!

So a few things....

Was at Busted's sole American show in West Hollywood this month, which was a blast! Was actually able to grab Charlie's attention for a second afterwards and ask when Fightstar was finally gonna play the states, he just smiled and said, "Someday..." (I'm aware of their support for Funeral for a Friend back in '06, but c'mon, y'know what I mean.)

I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that Omar's dream would be to tour with the Deftones, and to be honest I don't know why DT haven't snatched them up as an opener yet. Their sensibilities would mesh so well together, and to see them at a show together might cause me to pass out from the excitement.

Really surprised to see all the hate for Behind the Devil's Back here! It's not my favorite but it's far, far, faaaarrr from being a bad album. I was surprised at how heavy it was in comparison to Be Human, but I do think there are plenty of cool moments of contrast between the breakdowns and the synths. And this hate for "More Human Than Human" is crazy! That is easily one of their best songs, it's Al's moment on the record to shine, and it's the perfect mix of alt-rock and 80's ballad cheese! It's what the soundtrack to Top Gun should've been.

Similarly, I've never understood the animosity towards the Grand Unification version of "Mono." Granted, it's the version I heard first, but it's still gorgeous, and I prefer the key they shifted it to anyway.

Last thing, real quick: on the deluxe version of Be Human, the sequencing of "Mercury Summer," "Give Me the Sky," "Never Change," and "Tonight We Burn" is one of the best stretches of songs anywhere, ever.

Okay, time for my favorite songs list. Top 15 (which is still like, less than half of them.) In no particular order

Amaze Us
    Deathcar
    Dive
    Give Me the Sky (The Cure vibes on this song give me the chills!)
    Gracious
    Grand Unification, Pt. 1 (w/ To Sleep, I just play it as one song.)
    Lost Like Tears in Rain
    Mercury Summer
    Mono (yes, the GU version!)
    More Human Than Human
    Palahniuk's Laughter
    Never Change
    Shinji Ikari
    Tannhauser Gate
    Tonight We Burn

6. SpyKi

I don't hate the GU version of Mono but I think it's vastly inferior. Everything about it is worse imo. Especially the ending, it just feels so subdued in comparison.

7. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Not crazy about the sudden transition into "Hazy Eyes," but that's about it tbh.

8. Letterbomb31 Jun 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

More Human Than Human isn't just my least favourite Fightstar song, it's one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I do agree that the Grand Unification version of Mono is the best one though!

GEM37 likes this.
  9. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

EP version of "Mono" is just pretty much flawless. It didn't need to be re-recorded.

SpyKi likes this.
  10. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Dude, I just listened to MHTH again and I do not get it. What is it about this song you hate so much? It doesn't sound at all disparate from the other softer stuff they've done. If it's Alex's voice, like someone else mentioned, it's pretty similar to how he sounded on Gunship, the influence of which on this record is very apparent.

To each their own, of course. But in a world where Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns exists, this definitely doesn't fall under 'worst song territory.'

11. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"more human than human" is fucking amazing. best song on that record

12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i'm the person who really aggressively defends devil though. my fav fightstar record along with one day son

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the space that al leaves in the chorus of "more human" is extremely powerful imo, like.. "and they came for us [enormous guitar sound]"

jackyjackyjack likes this.
  14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It's mainly Alex's voice that I hate. I love how he sounds on all their old stuff but he just sounds weird on MHTH. One of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard. I've never listened to Gunship

15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Nah, Dive is the best song on there

16. JM95

Trusted

Neither Be Human nor BTDB (the odd song aside) stuck with me. For a band that prides itself on having that balance between heaviness and hooks, Be Human is drastically short on good choruses.

Gunship's my favourite Fightstar related thing since Young Pilgrim.

17. CoffeeEyes17

BTDB has some great hooks to me at least, and I'm a big fan of the synths and how flat out brutal some of the songs get.

beachdude42 and JM95 like this.
  18. JM95

Trusted

Certainly agree with you on the heavy stuff. Sink With The Snakes is my favourite song and the heavy moments on the other songs (the outro riff on Titan especially, which is my favourite moment on the album) are great. As an album though, it hasn't really stuck with me. It's accomplished enough, like Be Human, it's just missing something or two that would take it from a 6, maybe 7/10, to an 8 or 9/10.

Rating Charlie's discography from best to worst would be an interesting challenge.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

behind the devil's back has incredibbble hooks

20. Letterbomb31 Jun 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I accept your challenge!

One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours
    Long Road Home
    Grand Unification
    Young Pilgrim
    They Liked You Better When You Were Dead EP
    Alternate Endings
    Be Human
    Behind the Devil's Back
    Night Driver
    Concepts and Phenomena EP
    Busted
    A Present For Everyone

21. CoffeeEyes17

hmmm, fair enough haha. i find myself humming BTDB tracks a lot, especially after my recent run through the FS catalog, so maybe its just a difference of taste? Totally with you on Snakes and Titan as far as brutally heavy moments go, theres some really slick riffs and some great drumming to help build up these giant crashing moments.

22. GEM37

She haunts the roads

That bridge on "Titan" is pure Deftones. (Stop it!/Stop it!)

23. SpyKi

Hey I defend it a lot. It's still my favourite album since like 2014. Also "More Human Than Human" is one of my least favourites on there and a big step down from older Al songs but I still love it.

24. SpyKi

Grand Unification
    They Liked You Better When You Were Dead
    One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours
    A Present For Everyone
    Alternate Endings
    Young Pilgrim
    Behind the Devil's Back
    Be Human
    Night Driver
    When We Were Lions
    Long Road Home
    Busted
    Concepts and Phenomena

Boom.

25. SpyKi

I just had a random thought, obviously Charlie's one of my favourite artists and I adore everything he's done but you seem to be a fan of Fightstar only, Craig Manning only likes his solo stuff and I think FTank only likes Busted. Just think that's funny since that kind of represents your tastes pretty well.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.