Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fightstar Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The Whisperer is one of my favorites on Be Human. It has a great chorus and the ending is fantastic. Give Me the Sky is definitely my favourite on there though.

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I think I'd have to go with "The English Way" as my favourite. I feel like it's all the best elements of Be Human stuffed into one song.

3. SpyKi

That song's probably one of my least favourites to be honest. I still think it's great, I just seem to have a thing against songs about being English, ha. I think the first four songs on Be Human are my least favourites, I just got a little tired of them.

4. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I read earlier that Charlie "described the songs meaning as wanting England to be more patriotic, as he believes it has lost its pride and traditional values". That sounds kind of UKIP-ish to me so I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that haha

5. SpyKi

Haha, I definitely don't think he meant that in a UKIPish way. I do think England as a whole is pretty negative about the country, especially compared to how other countries around the world seem to view themselves. I mean I'm even slightly put off music I listen to being about England, ha.

6. Letterbomb31 Mar 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Haha I'd like to see him explain a little bit more what he means by "traditional values". I'll have to search Youtube for old interviews, seeing as it was a single maybe he offered a more in-depth explanation about precisely what he was trying to say in the song.

Just listened to the bonus songs from the deluxe version of Be Human. I think they're decent enough but honestly I've never really been that into them. I'd say they're some of the weaker songs Fightstar has produced.

7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

This was the best I could find:

So yeah, I'm not particularly into the meaning of the song but I love the way it sounds haha

8. George

Trusted Prestigious

Without delving into Charlie's reasoning behind it, Billy Bragg has talked a lot about the idea that patriotism has been taken over by the far-right, and there should be absolutely nothing wrong with waving the flag of St George and being proud of our country and culture.

Billy Bragg - Being patriotic doesn't make you a fascist

9. SpyKi

The deluxe bonus tracks definitely aren't my favourite songs they've done, A City on Fire is actually one of my least, but I think the other three are all great songs.

10. JM95

Trusted

Aye, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

Just a shame it's such a dull song;-)

11. George

Trusted Prestigious

Also, unrelated to Fightstar, but living abroad in a very different culture for 18 months or so made me feel very "English", and very aware of the fact that the culture I was living in was not "mine". I'd never had any particularly strong feelings about England before then - I figured I'd be happy anywhere, but there is definitely something very odd about being away from your country for an extended period of time. You forgot all the shit things, and over-exaggerate all the good things.

SpyKi likes this.
  12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Now that I've finished my relisten of their discography, it's time to rank their stuff

Albums:
    One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours > Grand Unification > Be Human > Alternate Endings > Behind the Devil's Back

Top 10 songs (in no particular order):
    Amethyst
    Mono
    Our Last Common Ancestor
    Grand Unification, Pt. 1
    Grand Unification, Pt. 2
    The English Way
    Amaze Us
    Palahniuk's Laughter
    Tannhauser Gate

SpyKi likes this.
  13. Schooner

Trusted

I love City On Fire!
    I can't remember if it was a b-side or ended up on the deluxe but I love that song Athea
    When Charlie used to visit the AP Fighstar page on the regular and chat I showed him a YouTube of (an Irish girl?) singing that song that's truely beautiful, he loved it and thing he said he contacted her to tell her

14. SpyKi

Athea is fantastic! Mercury Summer B-Side.

Albums:
    Grand Unification
    One Day Son
    Alternate Endings
    Behind the Devil's Back
    Be Human

Songs:
    1. Palahniuk's Laughter
    2. Flotation Therapy
    3. Mono (EP Version)
    4. Amethyst
    5. Sleep Well Tonight
    6. Grand Unification Pt 1
    7. Cross Out the Stars
    8. Deathcar
    9. Our Last Common Ancestor
    10. Tannhauser Gate
    11. Give Me the Sky
    12. Shinji Ikari
    13. Nerv/Seele
    14. Hold Out Your Arms
    15. Paint Your Target

Something like that.

Schooner and Letterbomb31 like this.
  15. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I haven't listened to Athea in years, I need to listen to it again!

If I added another 5 songs to my list, I'd add:
    Until Then
    Hold Out Your Arms
    We Apologise for Nothing
    Deathcar
    Paint Your Target

SpyKi likes this.
  16. SpyKi

Those are some damn good additions, ha. Until Then is close for me, second half is incredible.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  17. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Man, had the biggest grin reading through all the new posts in this thread. Great to see it active and generating discussion.

I think a top ten for me would look like:

1. I Am the Message
    2. Mono
    3. Our Last Common Ancestor
    4. Shinji Ikari
    5. Overdrive
    6. Cross Out the Stars
    7. Here Again (Last Conversation)
    8. We Left Tracks Of Fire
    9. Mercury Summer
    10. Sleep Well Tonight

SpyKi and Letterbomb31 like this.
  18. Schooner

Trusted

Will prob get hammered that their last album was worse than Donald Trump winning the election soon now we got it nice and active

Will do my top10 after this weekend. I'll do listen to the discography over it

WhosBroden? likes this.
  19. SpyKi

Fightstar is one of the only bands where I'm like "damn that's a nice top 10" no matter what songs people pick because they're all so good.

WhosBroden? likes this.
  20. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

"H.I.P (Enough)" and "You & I" are songs I didn't really appreciate when I was younger, but over the last few years they've grown on me tremendously.

21. SpyKi

"You & I" used to be my fav. HIP has always been my least favourite on ODS but I still really like it.

22. Letterbomb31 Mar 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 10, 2017)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I saw a comment on Fightstar's last.fm page the other day that described them as "generic posthardcore band #2343632" and I was just thinking about how wrong that is. I listened to a lot of post-hardcore when I was a teenager and I don't return to any of those bands now outside of a handful (Fightstar and Finch are my favourites). I found that Fightstar often took their music in a much more melodic direction than most other bands in the genre. Also, I've never heard a band that sounds exactly like Fightstar, so I really don't understand how anyone can describe them as generic. It seems like a really lazy description from someone who has heard maybe 1 or 2 songs from them.

23. SpyKi

I can't think of a band that sounds like Fightstar. Especially the earlier stuff. I'd love for that guy to try and give me some more bands that sound like Fightstar. Plus there's so many different sounds they do.

24. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I'm tempted to comment on his post but I'd probably just get a snarky comment back haha

SpyKi likes this.
  25. SpyKi

Yeah I doubt a person who posts something like that is going to change their mind.

Letterbomb31 likes this.