Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fightstar Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SpyKi Mar 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2021)
    SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

[​IMG]

Fightstar are a British post-hardcore band from London, formed in 2003. The band's line-up comprises lead vocalist, guitarist and keyboardist Charlie Simpson, guitarist and vocalist Alex Westaway, bassist Dan Haigh and drummer Omar Abidi.

Feel like my second favourite band needs a thread.

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

We out here fam.

One Day Son is better than a lot of things

3. George

Trusted Prestigious

New album is a bit of a dud, which is such a shame. All other releases were excellent.

4. SpyKi

I think their new album is their weakest but it was still an easy choice for AOTY for me. I just love everything this band does.

5. JM95

Trusted

Anyone listen to the Once Upon A Deadman EP then?

I'm totally indifferent to it tbh.

6. SpyKi

Yeah, me and Broden kind of felt similarly. There's some good moments on there (mainly any time Charlie is singing) but as a whole it's pretty forgettable.

7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This band is cool

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

listening to One Day Son. what an album. WHAT. AN. ALBUM.

SpyKi and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  9. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

yeah the new album is really bad. I haven't returned to it at all really

10. JM95

Trusted

At the time, I thought the new record was a 7, maybe a 7.5 out of 10 but I think I was just happy that they'd made a new album for the first time in six years. In all honesty, I think it's a decent 6 out of 10 but not much more.

11. BlackJak094

I have the fury of my own momentum.

Saw this listing for Charlie's third solo album on Banquet Records. Don't think it's been announced yet? : Charlie Simpson - Little Hands

Found Fightstars newest album to be a fun listen but couldn't find much to go back for.

12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like a collection of odds 'n' sods, as opposed to a full album, but still should be good!
    "Little Hands features 10 previously unheard and rare tracks from Simpson's solo catalogue which by Charlie's own admission is his favourite to date"

13. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Not to sound ungrateful because more Charlie is always a fantastic thing, but I'd be a lot more excited if we hadn't already heard the majority of these tracks. Surprising that nothing has been announced. Dying for some Busted news, on the other hand.

14. SpyKi

The only new tracks seem to be "Little Hands" and a cover right? I don't see the point in putting "Parachute" or "Emily" on there, I wouldn't even have the EP tracks.

Luckily this isn't the Simpson album I'm looking forward to this year. :)

15. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Have you seen Matt Willis' interview on London Real? Finally got around to it yesterday evening and it was really insightful. He talks for two hours about Busted, Charlie, the whole rekindling of their friendships and the band, how McBusted should never have released their album, his addiction with drugs and alcohol, his family, etc. Really good listen.

16. SpyKi

Yeah, I watched it the second it went up, haha. I love his interviews, I wish everyone in bands I liked would do one. I just really need to hear this new Busted music. Also did you see them doing a Q&A on Twitter the other day? They were talking about a new version of "Falling for You" so I'm guessing they'll be playing that live which I'm very excited about.

17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

What's that about McBusted?

18. SpyKi

Matt was talking about how he thought McBusted should have just been the tour and that it didn't really work when they tried to make an album.

Nick likes this.
  19. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Absolutely, this wait is becoming excruciating! What do you think about John Fields producing the new record? I totally forgot about the Q&A session so thanks for the reminder. Looking forward to hearing that new version of "Falling For You".

Basically it's no secret that the McBusted album was a commercial flop of sorts. It failed to do the numbers that the band and label were hoping. He talked about the recording process and how they had multiple producers working on various tracks. Groups of 2-3 members would go off with one of the producers and churn out a song and bring it back to the whole group, so it sounded far from ideal and cohesive. He talks about the Busted recording process in a far more positive and glowing light.

20. SpyKi

I'm down with it. I know he produced Jimmy Eat World who Charlie loves so I'm sure that helped him say yes, ha. Plus from Matt's description it sounds like they did things right.

Schooner likes this.
  21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

wtf y'all, the new one is way better than be human

22. SpyKi

I wouldn't say way better but I like it about the same, I think it's more consistent but doesn't have anything as good as the best on Be Human.

23. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

New album is still quality. "Overdrive"is one of my favourite tracks in their discography and "Murder All Over" is fantastic. Contrary to what has been said, I think Al's delivery on "More Human Than Human" is lovely and it makes me wish Al had more lead duties and that he wasn't so underutilized on the album. Plus "Dive" as the closer is exquisite.

In saying that, it's my least favourite Fightstar release. In my view, I think it suffers from being too short. They're a band that can do so many styles so well, and whenever I listen to the album I always feel that by choosing to have the album be ten tracks, they really limited their opportunities to create a quintessential Fightstar album. Can't wait to hear what they do next though when the time comes.

24. SpyKi

I do wish it was longer and a bit more varied sonically but I think the songs are just so good. I think Charlie's ear for melody is pretty much perfect.

Schooner likes this.
  25. JM95

Trusted

I think the songs are pretty average in all honesty. There's just so little on it that stands out to me now. It feels like they rushed it and just ironed out all the ideas they had so it didn't sound messy or incomplete. Bit of a shame.

Letterbomb31 likes this.