Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018 [Archived] Soccer • Page 46

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

ITV have done the same here.

domotime2 likes this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

That wouldn't be Fox, it would be the local directors.

domotime2 and MrCon like this.
  3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Fairly sure the broadcasters have no say about the picture on screen, that the footage is decided by the local team and each broadcaster gets the same feed.

MrCon likes this.
  4. Man... I really wanted Sweden to hang on.

clucky likes this.
  5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

After the first round it looked like we might actually get a fun exciting world cup with none of the same dominating teams plowing through everyone. oh well :tear: hopefully we'll at least still get some good games / 7 - 1 memes

6. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Roy Keane on Boateng:

"He can't be right upstairs, he's got 650 pairs of shoes!"

PandaBear! likes this.
  7. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

WHAT A GOAL TONI

8. orangehorizon

Trusted

I'l send you $5 on the 15th of July anyways ;-p

Garrett L. and Nick like this.
  9. orangehorizon

Trusted

I know I am biased but I think that the Boateng sent off was very very soft. That was not a yellow worthy foul and especially when the ref knows that the player is already on a yellow he should never sent him off. But in all 50/50 situations he decided for Sweden anyways so it was not surprising.

And also the potential penalty scene in the first half. That was never a penalty. 3 years ago no one would have even argued about that. But it seems since VAR got introduced every little contact in the box has to be reviewed and granted a penalty. At least when you go by people posting on the internet.

10. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Opposing view - the Boateng yellow card seemed a challenge worthy of a yellow to me. Got all of the man and very little of the ball. Any other time that would have been a yellow, so it was refreshing to see a yellow given even if it did mean it was the players second.

Additonally, the penalty was a penalty all day long for me. Again, took all of the man and absolutely nothing of the ball, wiped him out when he was clean through on goal. Again, anywhere else on the pitch, a player getting wiped out from behind like that is a free kick, so why not call it in that instance? The yellow is debatable, but I genuinely have no idea how the penalty wasn't called, looked more damning every time it was shown.

11. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Germany won me over going for the win at all costs in the second half, even a man down. Really fun to watch.

12. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I know they had to go for it, but the balls on Low to sub a defender off, leaving only two on, and push every single other player up. Go hard or go home time indeed.

Nick likes this.
  13. orangehorizon

Trusted

Wiped him out? He barely touched him. He had his arm shortly on him and nothing more. His feet didn't even interfere with the Swede. The Swede just shot and then went down and crashed into Neuer after Neuer cleared the ball. I actually would have awarded a freekick for us for that foul.

But this is exactly what I mean. It seems like everybody's gone crazy during the World Cup or maybe 99% of the people posting on the internet have never watched a football game before (I know this is not the case here so it is even more atrocious). Again this scene would have never ever created a controversy some years ago. That shit happens several times in every game.

14. orangehorizon

Trusted

If that was a criteria then there would be way more yellows in every game. It was a foul but not a yellow.

15. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Clippit

"barely touched him"

lol. you can clearly see the arm going into his back

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  16. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Have you actually seen a reply of the incident? I don't mean to come off accusingly, but if you watch the replay you can very clearly see that the defender trips the strikers standing leg, pushes him, which forces the striker to stumble and kick the ball which is then smothered by the keeper. I'm on my phone so not sure how to post links, but I'd urge you to go and watch the replay (Reddit has a few good angles near the top of the soccer sub). You can very, very clearly see the defender trip the striker.

Edit: I'll add, I don't have a horse in this race. Couldn't care about the result or either team. Just commenting on how I see the incident .

MrCon likes this.
  17. orangehorizon

Trusted

I have watched it multiple times and whats way more important I have watched countless of similar tackles before. That is never a penalty. Period.

18. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

And I don't know man, sycthing someone down from the side/ behind, I see those get given every game. I'm not sure it should matter if someone is on a yellow already. It's tough on Boateng, but its 50/50 whether it's a yellow (at best) and he's making the ref make a decision. Very stupid from him.

19. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Penalty all day long for me. If that were Werner clean through on goal at 1-1, maybe you'd feel differently. Discussion is part of the beauty of the game though, so each to their own.

orangehorizon likes this.
  20. Sheaver10

And what a way you won me over

100% disagree. He’s slid in from behind, got none of the ball and caught the swede literally by his knee.

What’s more, when you are already on a yellow card, chances are if you lunge in and don’t get the ball, you’re off.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  21. orangehorizon

Trusted

Fair enough but if you would know me then you'd know that I would make the exact same statement if it was the other way round. Really that is never a penalty for me, even if it was my team getting it.

22. Sheaver10

What goal to win it though. Fair play.

23. Sheaver10

I agree, you never see these given as a penalty.

Most of the time I think that’s because the ref feels the striker gets their advantage by getting his shot away, though.

24. orangehorizon

Trusted

I think most of the time it is because that is just not a foul...

25. Sheaver10

I dunno, does look like a trip and a push to me

47C4B7F1-17FB-48E1-BD83-77F78A637BE3.jpeg

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.