Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Field Report - Summertime Songs (March 23rd, 2018) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. zmtr

Trusted

I really enjoy Marigolden but I find myself losing interest here and there when listening. This one grabbed me from start to finish.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Even loving Marigolden like I do, I didn't know he had a record like this in him. Definitely pigeonholed him in a particular sound and am very glad to see that was a mistake.

Craig Manning and zmtr like this.
  3. duritzfan13

all we have is time

RIYL? Keep hearing so many good things about this band. Need to know what mindset to be in when I check this out haha

4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

RIYL pure unadulterated awesomeness! Umm I don't know he used to play in a band with Justin Vernon from Bon Iver so that should at least get you in the ballpark.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Jason Isbell, Tallest Man On Earth, etc? Guessing you’d be a fan. Adam Duritz is.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This album is fantastic! Super varied and loved the orchestral leanings in some songs

I need to listen to Marigolden then haha

7. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Haha yeah I know they opened up for CC a few years back. Stoked to finally check em out.

8. zmtr

Trusted

Blind Spot is such a perfect opening track.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. sawhney[rusted]2

Summertime for the best rock song of the year so far

10. Dave Diddy

Man this album is fantastic. Only song I don't love is "60 Second Distance Run", and even that one I think I like more than both "Cups and Cups" and "Wings" off Marigolden. The opening 3 song stretch is just killer, plus "Every Time", "Summertime", and "Everything I need". There's some stiff competition for my AOTY but this is probably my #1 so far but we'll see by the end of the year. New Pianos Become the Teeth, Brian Fallon, Caitlyn Smith, Brandi Carlile, and Kacey Musgraves are also high up there.

11. Craig Manning

I think my top three for Q1 is probably this, Caitlyn Smith, and Kacey. Not sure which one is number one.

12. zmtr

Trusted

It's this or Kacey for sure.

13. Dave Diddy

Also I know this isn't the Marigolden thread but good Lord "Summons" just kills me.

"I’m whispering the Lord’s prayer over every bridge I go across. Try to summon up the strength not to swerve into the cars"

14. zmtr

Trusted

Almost forgot that I had tickets to see them play tomorrow night. Nice.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

Man Summertime is really something else

astereo likes this.
  16. sawhney[rusted]2

cool, they're playing in NYC when I'm there for $12, sick

17. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

Okay, this is turning out to be one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. I'm still listening 3-5 times a day. I can't get over it.

18. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

“60 Second Distane Run” works incredibly well as a breather before “Every Time”. I tried taking it out (along with “Healing Machine”) to do an eight song “4 corners” listen and it was really jarring.

Without Track 4, the Album mood cuts from the wide open road feel of “Never Look Back” to such a swirling cacophony without “60SDR” serving as the necessary... static? Maybe that’s the wrong word — it’s more of a grounding, or a re-grounding.

19. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I can't imagine taking out healing machine. To me, this album is flawless.

20. Matt Chylak

Well it was just an experiment, but the two I mentioned are the album’s least memorable songs imo. They do a lot structurally and narratively, but if I’m ranking songs on the record, the two of them are in a lower tier.

21. Craig Manning

Yeah, I'm not big on "Healing Machine," but I wouldn't cut it. Similar to how I feel about the weaker songs on Marigolden.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  22. Matt Chylak

zmtr likes this.
  23. Dave Diddy

Man I posted that documentary back on March 21st and everyone just ignored it. Now you get a like? This is some grade A BS!!!!

astereo likes this.
  24. Matt Chylak

It seems to have gotten 0 more views, so I wouldn't worry about credit.

25. Dave Diddy

Haha well hopefully you could tell I was joking. I really enjoyed watching it though. I watched it before the record released so it was a great way to get a little insight to the record and get me excited to hear it.

Matt Chylak likes this.