Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Field Report - Summertime Songs (March 23rd, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. zmtr

Trusted

2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

this album is shaping up to be so good. they were fantastic opening for BI. i remember this song clearly from that set.

zmtr likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Probably my second favorite track on the album. Really unbelievably great opener.

zmtr likes this.
  4. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Oh man, do I want to hear a 3rd song off this before release? And the first 3 songs off the album? I hate thinking I'd have to get to song #4 before hearing a new song

5. zmtr

Trusted

It was my favorite song from their set. This is gonna be special.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

I would wait on this one, if you can.

7. Dave Diddy

Ugh yeah as much as I really want to listen I'm going to try to hold off. Based on how much I love the first 2 he's released I can't wait for the 23rd.

8. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

This album's shaping up to be something real special, huh?

"Never Look Back" is probably my song of the year at this point. Soars like the best choruses on the last War on Drugs album, but with way more of a pop sensibility.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  9. Dave Diddy

Man I can't wait for this. @Craig Manning can you tell us more about this yet?

10. Craig Manning

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it, to a certain extent. It’s a deep record that rewards repeat listens and attention to detail. I will say that it’s a beautiful examination of the flaws and imperfections that exist in any marriage or long-term relationship. I love that about it, because I don’t feel like a lot of albums explore the same thematic territory as unflinchingly.

11. Dave Diddy

That's awesome. I'm beyond excited for this. Even with "Cups and Cups" and "Wings" from Marigolden being kind of throw away songs (at least to me they are), it's still one of my favorite albums. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on "Cups and Cups" and "Wings" and whether there are any sub par songs on the new one.

12. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I completely agree with you on those. I think there are maybe 1-2 songs off the self titled that I'm not huge on, as well. But I appreciate Cups and Cups and Wings, because having to go from Pale Rider to Ambrosia to Marigolden would simply be unfair.

13. Craig Manning

I like those songs fine. They're not highlights, but I think they mesh well with the vibe of the album. I like "Cups and Cups" more than "Wings."

On this record, I'd say "60 Second Distance Run" feels like a little bit of a throwaway. Similar to "Cups and Cups," it comes after an incredible three-song opening run.

14. Dave Diddy

Ah alright. As you maybe could tell I'm pretty excited for this. One more week!

15. Dave Diddy

16. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Can’t believe this never leaked. Good for them!

ChiliTacos likes this.
  17. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I forgot this is out tonight! I can't wait!

18. Craig Manning

zmtr and Dave Diddy like this.
  19. zmtr

Trusted

God damn this is great.

20. zmtr

Trusted

"Every Time"

holy FUCK WOW

21. Craig Manning

Psyched for you to hear the closer.

zmtr likes this.
  22. zmtr

Trusted

This is a huge step up from Marigolden. I'm super impressed.

23. Craig Manning

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think I still like Marigolden more. But it's on a similar level, for sure.

24. Dave Diddy

As someone who places Marigolden so highly up on my list of all time favorite records I'm not sure I can fully get on board with that statement, although I immediately love Summertime Songs and wouldn't consider it a step down either.

25. Craig Manning

Pretty much how I feel. Marigolden is a top 10 album of the decade for me, so it’ll be awhile before I feel comfortable putting this above it, if I ever do.