Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Field Report - Summertime Songs (March 23rd, 2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by zmtr, Jan 18, 2018.

1. zmtr Jan 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2018)
    zmtr

Trusted

[​IMG]

Tracklist(judging by the cover):
    1. Blind Spot
    2. If I Knew
    3. Never Look Back
    4. 60 Second Distance Run
    5. Every Time
    6. Healing Machine
    7. Summertime
    8. Tightrope
    9. Occupied Mind
    10. Everything I Need

New single "Never Look Back" streaming over at Stereogum

Field Report – “Never Look Back”

2. zmtr

Trusted

The single is phenomenal.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

cool

4. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

So excited for this record. Unfortunately, not able to hear the single due to screen reader access issues. But I'm glad everyone seems to like it! I've waited this long -- I can make it until it comes out on streaming services.

5. mationation

I think God's a painter

this is not a season I associate them with but summer records are a thing of mine. so excited. I guess they had a good reason for delaying the release.

single is overflowing with tom petty vibes and my eyes are overflowing with joy

6. lina555

Regular

Wait so much!

7. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Oh man how did I miss this song/thread last week? So in for some new Field Report

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This record is fucking great.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  9. derekjd

Anything else you'd like to/can share? ;)

Dave Diddy likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

Not a ton, yet. I've had a crazy few days, so I've only had distracted listens to far, but I really like it. Porterfield is really great at writing songs that feel atmospheric while still being extremely catchy. There are also some just devastating lyrics on this. He wrote it while he and his wife were expecting their first child and there are definitely some flickers of marital strife in there. It feels really real.

11. derekjd

I definitely think that Never Look Back is their most rock-ish song. Does it continue in that style, or is that sort of an outliar? Don't get me wrong -- a set of folk-rock jams from him would be great, but there's really something about Marigolden or the s/t that I absolutely love.

12. Dave Diddy

Ugh this wait is going to drive me crazy. I can't wait to be devastated by this.

13. vidiviciveni

Trusted

What songs should I be listening to off Marigolden? It didn't click with me much but everyone here raves about it

14. Craig Manning

There are definitely some songs that follow that one's lead in the more propulsive rock-influenced vein, but also a fair number that sound like a logical step from the modern folk of Marigolden.

15. Craig Manning

"Summons," "Home," and "Pale Rider" are my favorites.

16. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I think "Decision Day" is the best song on the record. Also, considering it's the first song, it really sold me when I heard it.

17. Dave Diddy

"Decision Day" and "Pale Rider" and the stretch from "Marigolden" all the way to "Enchantment" are my favorites. I don't really care as much for "Cups and Cups" or "Wings"

18. Craig Manning

“Summons” is my fav, and one of my absolute favorite songs of the decade. That one hits me real hard. It’s like his version of “Cover Me Up.”

19. mationation

I think God's a painter

oh man "summons". i gave marigolden a listen after some time away from it last spring during this crazy period where i was meditating 4+ hours a day then putting on a record for a golden hour walk. summons came on as i made it back to my porch and the synesthetic celestial bloom of the chorus with the final purple moments of daylight lifted me from the earth. it was a motherfucking cleansing.

maybe it was all the meditation that made me more sensitive, but that was one of the most memorable and important experiences i've had with music -- at an age when maybe those were behind me. it weirdly made me feel like i was on the right track, even if things in the outer world were objectively fucked.

the verses are like a denis johnson short story and the way the chorus swells... god i love that song

20. derekjd

I personally love "Pale Rider," "Marigolden," and "Michelle." Not huge on wings or cups and cups, but everything else on that record is just stellar.

21. zmtr

Trusted

Getting another single tomorrow

22. Dave Diddy

2/2. "If I knew" is genius. This thing is shaping up to be a potential #1 AOTY for 2018.

23. derekjd

I can't believe how good both of these tracks are.

24. Dave Diddy

Ugh it's taking everything I have not to just spin this song on repeat but I don't want to burn out on it. It's incredible.

zmtr likes this.
  25. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter