Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fickle Friends - You Are Someone Else (March 16, 2018) Album • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Nov 21, 2017.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

First listen of the new album is VERY so-so. Nothing is bad, but boy does it all just blur together as one big ol thing. A few standout moments, and some songs I can tell will grow on me, but overall it's just fine enough I guess

2. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I think this thing sucks - damn. Super sad.

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah this is a giant turd; not sure what happened to these guys to drop so far down creatively. IRL the only highlight here

4. irthesteve

it's so bizarre too, What A Time and Cosmic Coming of Age are honestly such great songs... but they essentially relegated them to b-sides in the end

smowashere, Jusscali and Ferrari333SP like this.
  5. Jusscali

I don’t LOVE them either but much better than most of them here.

6. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

yeah damn this ain't it

7. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

This sucks ass. Bring back the bangers like Cry Baby and Say No More

8. Jusscali

That sat on this thing well over a year - and we know for a fact that at least demoed a gaziliom other songs - how is this the bunch that got picked? This is their Lights and Sounds lol

9. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

I mentioned earlier in this thread that kicking out their original guitarist was a massive mistake.

It's obvious now that a lot of the creative ideas and massive hooks they had probably came from him.

irthesteve and bradsonemanband like this.
  10. Totally. What’s that dude up to these days? I wonder if he’s making bangers in another project now.

j0nnymarrzbar likes this.
  11. This thread is harsh af, this is fun, poppy, summer music.

whitenblue88 and smowashere like this.
  12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol yeah I'm into it too

13. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

def a step back but I like it plenty! glad they're expanding their sound out of the 80s worship, do feel like its markedly less catchy but yall are really unloading on this thing

14. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I'm so glad someone said it. On my 3rd listen now and I am really digging it!

whitenblue88 likes this.
  15. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I’m on team “this is good”

16. Now:Navigate! Jan 17, 2022
    (Last edited: Jan 17, 2022)
    This is a record I probably won't listen to cover-to-cover again, but there are a few songs that immediately made some of my rotation playlists.

I can't necessarily argue with the people saying this feels less creative/interesting but to be fair, coming on the heels of the Weird Years EPs, this album makes ~20 tracks released in basically a 12-month span. I don't get "bad" from this album but I do get a little bored.

brutal :crylaugh: snort-laughed out loud

17. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

This hits a little bit of a stride starting with Pretty Great, everything before that was inoffensive but I don't have any desire to come back to it.

18. Jusscali

Lol It’s honestly what I thought though. She got out of a super long relationship, during a pandemic, where they lost their OG guitarist and she was super depressed (join the club), got hammered by the sickness, and then I’m assuming had some label problems again with this release. It just sounds uninspired and lifeless in so many spots.

Ferrari333SP and Now:Navigate! like this.
  19. irthesteve

I was wrong when I said nothing was bad. Not Okay is bad. Write Me A Song is bad. Glow is not good.

Favorites: Won't Hurt Myself and I guess IRL & Pretty Great

20. irthesteve

man, Won't Hurt Myself is a HUGE song, what a chorus.

21. Jusscali

I’ve learned to really love listening and the closer. I still think songs in the IRL vein are their sweet spot.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"Finish Line" is still the best song they've put out in a few years

23. Jusscali

I think I’ll just throw out some of the trash and mix in some of the other ep tracks. Steve’s “suck” list is pretty spot on. And the Won’t hurt is/has always been huge take is also on par.

irthesteve likes this.
  24. Jusscali

All of the slower/chill songs on the EPs are wonderful and are so FF 1.0. I’d have them all (I adore 92).

Ferrari333SP likes this.