Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fest 19 Festival • Page 9

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by abear182, Apr 2, 2020.

1. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

What @JaytotheGee said above. Personally, I think One Step Closer is a bit too straight-up "hardcore" to be a mystery band or a TBA on any of the bills with those currently listed. If there was one on the day Strike Anywhere was playing, or at Knockin' Boots the night Comeback Kid is headlining... Maybe. But I don't think it's happening, all things considered.

Are we sure Cresswell will be there with HWM? I mean, he was in the US doing that album anyway. Maybe he just didn't go home? Haha. But given that it's a Gainesville show I could see them just having Wollard playing. Maybe they have them both?

Either way. The Flats would be a perfect - and fantastic replacement! Definitely an upgrade in every possible way. Fingers-crossed it's them and they still do Cavalcade.

AWasteOfATime and JaytotheGee like this.
  2. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like it's going to be Masked Intruder, just seems like the easiest solution lol

alkalinexandy and AWasteOfATime like this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, my initial thought was them. Quickly followed by the Bombpops (Jen will already be there). But I also feel like if each of those bands were available they probably would have already been booked somewhere on that bill, hah.

I'm now feeling like it could be any of those three.

4. clucky

Trusted Supporter

secret band sets are almost always bands already on the lineup. the only times they are not are when its a super group of bands on the lineup like the classic Bottles show

alkalinexandy likes this.
  5. Rmourz

Trusted

Are we thinking Mover Shaker might have a secret set since it’s their last tour?

6. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, maybe? The surprise sets tend to be bigger bands playing smaller venues, though, if memory serves.

7. Rmourz

Trusted

So do those bands give hints that they’re playing (and where/when), or do you just have to go to every secret set in hopes that you stumble into one you wanted to catch?

8. m32137

Regular

If I remember correctly, the mystery bands are announced on the app/website the day before or the morning of.

9. Rmourz

Trusted

Oh sweet- thank you!

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I just went through the Fest's Twitter feed to try and find examples of the mystery bands from each year. For some reason I couldn't find more than a single day from 2019. So this is all a bit scattershot...

But I would say it's mostly "bigger"/relatively notable bands playing a smaller venue.

Fest 15 (2016):
    Day 1:
    The Ergs!, Propagandhi, and Planes Mistaken for Stars
    Day 2: You Blew It, Off With Their Heads

Fest 16 (2017)
    Day 1:
    Radon, Against Me!, Teenage Bottlerocket, Beach Slang
    Day 2: Direct Hit!, Snapcase, Hot Water Music, A Wilhelm Scream, the Flatliners ("Great Awake" set), Nothington

Fest 17 (2018)
    Day 1:
    Dead To Me, Elway, Pkew Pkew Pkew, Slingshot Dakota, RVIVR, Red City Radio, Banner Pilot, Masked Intruder, Signals Midwest
    Day 2: Night Birds, Pears ("Go to Prison" set), Lemuria, Piebald, the Stereo

Fest 18 (2019)
    Day 1:
    Slingshot Dakota, A Wilhelm Scream, Spanish Love Songs, Tsunami Bomb, Skatune Network

11. m32137

Regular

I remember being so bummed in 2015 when I couldn't get in The Menzingers' mystery acoustic set, but then a couple hours later Greg and Tom showed up on stage with Modern Baseball for their Killers cover set. That made up for it a little bit.

12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Hah! I think I was at that one. Was that at Market Street Pub?

13. m32137

Regular

I think so! It was across the street from High Dive, which was where the MoBo set was.

14. HalfHearted

Regular

From what was on their Instagram account, sounds like Hotel Etiquette is playing all Pentimento songs, which sounds wonderful to me.

theasteriskera likes this.
  15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That is awesome! Forgot about Hotel Etiquette, is it only the drummer from Pentimento though?

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

From Fest twitter: "All bands/volunteers/staff at Fest will be fully vaccinated and we would love it if everyone else was too."

Really glad they're making this a requirement for folks working the festival. Kinda makes me wonder about some of the bands who dropped off *coughs*CivFromGorillaBiscuits*coughs*

theasteriskera likes this.
  17. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Yeah....

18. HalfHearted

Regular

I believe that is correct.

19. alkalinexandy Aug 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2021)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Another round of band announcements coming on Friday. Looks like there's 7 band TBAs listed on the schedule and 1 TBA for comedians. Two of which are headliners for their respective venues that night. Curious to see who they add!

That being said, I'm also seeing some venues that look relatively light and could have a band or two tacked on (Knockin' Boots on Saturday; Bo Diddley on Friday).

EDIT: Just realized Knockin' Boots probably just has a late start time because of Fest Wrestling.

20. Rmourz

Trusted

The pessimist in me also wants to point out that they could be replacing bands that dropped since the schedule came out

21. alkalinexandy Aug 11, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2021)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Well, that's factored into at least some of the TBA (Teenagebottlerocket, Sack, Ray Rocket) and probably a few others that I missed. There's also possibly some additional bands that will be dropping.

But yeah, you're right. There might be a few more.

EDIT: Also just realized that they previously said the mystery Bo Diddley band was going to be announced on Friday the 13th. Which... is this Friday. Hah! Exciting!

22. alkalinexandy Aug 13, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2021)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit! The mystery band is EVE 6.

EDIT: Also added Chuck Rogan to replace TBR, Chinese Telephones, Cliffdiver, a new comedian and a bunch of other bands:

Lemmiwinks, Gordon Withers, Airstream Futures, Wrong War, Bonsai Trees, the Handsome Scoundrels, Damage Done, LAST, Hotel Etiquette, Wreath, Love Kills Joy, Black Valley Moon, Tampa Punk Rock Karaoke, and Bradley Palermo.

JaytotheGee and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  23. Rmourz

Trusted

Tampa bay punk rock karaoke was already on the schedule before this

24. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Tell that to the Fest site who listed them as newly added. Haha. ;-p

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Dang Chuck Ragan replacing TBR is kind of a let down but the Eve 6 set is gonna be a lot of fun lol