Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fest 19 Festival • Page 6

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by abear182, Apr 2, 2020.

1. heymeg

Thanks for the info! I knew it was in different venues but I wasn't sure if they were close enough together that they blocked off a section of the Gainesville for fest.

2. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Most of them are pretty close, if memory serves (within a few blocks) but they don't block off any streets or anything.

But yeah, the short answer to your question is that yes - there is re-entry. Just be careful with capacity limits, etc. because if you show up late you may not be able to get into certain venues when certain bands are playing.

heymeg likes this.
  3. HalfHearted

Regular

All the venues are within walking distance, some literally on same block, so it is easily managed. There are also secret sets that get announced the night before each day that you will want to keep an eye on as well. Those ones are usually the ones that have capacity issues (normally one of the bigger bands on the bill playing one of the smaller venues). But everything alkalinexandy has said is pretty spot on. No issues with leaving or coming back, etc.

heymeg and alkalinexandy like this.
  4. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Check out Devil's Millhopper in Gainesville. It's not far at all & it's really cool

heymeg likes this.
  5. Kelsey

Regular

Finally managed to get a pass this afternoon after trying for a few weeks, very stoked!

6. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like War on Women will be dropping since the Alk3/BR tour is during it

Free Throw also sneakily dropped with their new headlining dates

And the worst news of all... Quicksand is touring during this so I think GB is also dropping unless Walter flys in for one day?

7. Rmourz

Trusted

If all that is true I’d imagine they’re working on some replacements and a statement. I’m also dreading/expecting the wonder years to drop since Soupy’s wife is due in October.

8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Gorilla Biscuits cancelling would be a major bummer for me. But, TBH, I could see them proceeding with the show having somebody fill-in for Walter. I'd definitely be more concerned if he were the singer.

9. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Damn that's true too! Would be a huge bummer

Have they played without him recently? Definitely true just feels weird for him not the be there I guess

alkalinexandy likes this.
  10. Rmourz

Trusted

Not sure how many people would agree with me on this- but I’d take Battery as an acceptable GB replacement. Be Well will already be there and I recently listened to Brian McTernan on Tobey Morse’s podcast and he kinda implied multiple times they’re not done playing Battery shows but that they would be somewhat rare

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Not to my knowledge. It'd be weird, but it would probably beat not playing at all. And I'm sure they could pull in a cool enough replacement that people wouldn't mind! Haha.

If it were a hardcore-centric festival, I'd definitely agree. But GB have a broader appeal which is why they're headlining. Battery would be just below them at Fest.

TBH, if they do have to replace them I don't know that they'd necessarily stick with another straight-up hardcore band.

12. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Mike from Bad Time Records/Kill Lincoln was on the Hard Times podcast this week and mentioned that, this year, there was going to be two nights with a venue dedicate to ska-punk this year.

Not surprising... Kinda figuring they'll have Mustard Plug headline one night and Skatune Network headline the other.

JaytotheGee likes this.
  13. Rye

I've got mixed feelings about that, sometimes it feels like ska as a subgenre shoots itself in the foot by isolating themselves amongst themselves. It would be nice to see the ska acts peppered in amongst the other acts in a real effort to broaden the audience. That being said, I LOVE ska and one stop shopping is pretty convenient...plus there might be some logistics involved. There tends to be a good amount of musicians doing crossover performances for multiple bands and it is probably easier to manage by keeping them centralized. Kill Lincoln's new album slaps, can't wait to see them this year!

theasteriskera and alkalinexandy like this.
  14. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That's a fair point! And there's definitely a few ways of looking at it. I think what Mike and the rest of Bad Time Records is doing is really trying to drive the point home that "ska" has a "scene" all its own and its a strong one...

But with Fest, I feel like it's probably just the way the organizers want to do it. It's the way they've set it up the last few years, but this is the first one where there were a lot of bands from the genre. That and like you said, the whole sharing members thing. Pretty sure Jer plays in at least three of them.

It would definitely be cool to see it spread out a bit too! I was half-expecting Joystick to be on the same bill as Pears, if nothing else.

Rye likes this.
  15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Those shows will be great and I will be at those venues a lot for sure

16. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I feel like the last few years at Fest alone, that the ska is usually mixed throughout instead of being lumped together. Less Than Jake and Mustard Plug have played Bo Didley not around ska bands. Mustard Plug has played High Dive among mostly Red Scare type bands. I do think Skatune and Kill Lincoln have been lumped together or at least playing the same venue.

17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think it makes sense this year because there are more ska acts than I remember in the last couple of years and there is sort of a revival in the underground with ska, so it makes sense to help that wave out a bit.

18. abear182

Regular

19. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That's rad news! Can't wait to feel that schedule anxiety again...

HalfHearted and JaytotheGee like this.
  20. Rye

Holy crap...I completely forgot that Pears was playing this year. It’s like finding a $20 bill in laundry! You just made my day

21. Rmourz

Trusted

Guess we’ll see if it’s JUST bands being added, or if it’s really bands replacing the ones that might drop off

22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely thinking it's replacement acts but here's to hoping

23. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Probably a combination of replacement acts (the ones who dropped that have already been stated and, I’m assuming, a few of the remaining international acts) and new ones.

Probably found some holes as they started to put together the schedule.

24. m32137

Regular

More bands, schedule, and single show tickets this Friday.

Rye and JaytotheGee like this.
  25. Rye

Wow, a schedule already! Usually schedule comes at the end of August/September if I recall. Maybe this means the APP is coming too

JaytotheGee and Rmourz like this.