Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fest 19 Festival • Page 17

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by abear182, Apr 2, 2020.

1. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

that second AWS set wasnt even like, full either

alkalinexandy likes this.
  2. Rye

Despite my proclamations earlier that this would be a nice chill fest, I still proceeded to run my ass ragged nonetheless...I'm a little worse for the wear this week. Whole weekend was a blast, and can't say that I have any complaints...Fest did the best they could with the hand they were dealt and it probably worked out for the best to those in attendance because not being sold out, in combination with a good portion of the larger billed bands dropping, and the venues with solid capacity it was pretty stress free. I was only locked out of one set, Raging Nathans on Sunday and that was because I got greedy and wanted to catch a few Bandaid Brigade songs across the street at Knockin Boots. Did anyone else feel that Knockin Boots sound was better than in the past?

Biggest Surprise - Cover sets, I've never actually gone to a Fest cover set and this year I hit up 5. Only Catbite (No Doubt) and WATU (ASOB) were on my schedule...both ruled. But I also stumbled into You Vandal (Bush) cover set which was good, and Pet Detectives (Mystery Band DTF)...no idea they are basically 1/2 of You Vandal and also a cover band. However, the best cover set I saw was Taking Meds (Talking Heads), I'm a casual Talking Heads fan, like Essentials collection level fan and I only caught the second half of their cover set but they nailed it. The full video is up on YT, I re-watched it so I could see the first half, the audio quality is solid highly recommend.

Favorite Sets - Both nights of Ska (although I missed Skatune and WATU), Comeback Kid, A Wilhelm Scream 2x, Militarie Gun, Bridge City Sinners, Rational Anthem

Biggest Disappointment - I was going to cop out and say the injuries I sustained to my foot and hand Saturday night, or the piece of fractured keyboard that caught me in the lip during KL Sunday set cover of Thirsty Guys "Not Playing Fest". However, festival level disappointment for me is Bo Diddley plaza, I pretty much ignore it's existence. I went there twice all weekend, Spanish Love Songs full set and I caught 4 songs from Bully. Like Jay said, it works for the main headliner but just doesn't work that well for any other band, unless you attract 1/2 of the festival attendees it just tends to feel lifeless which is a bummer cause I really wanted to see Strike Anywhere but opted for other choices. The only band disappointment was Days n Daze, I left after 2 songs.

Best Finds - Bands that I had no previous knowledge of that I stumbled into that I liked the most were American Television, Matamoska!, and Worst Party Ever. WPE seemed to be geared more toward the younger audience, but people were having a blast during their set and it was pretty packed out in Vecinos.

Favorite shirt- JaytotheGee's Suicide Machines Death Metal shirt, I think I saw 2 of them Sunday night and now I see they were pre-orders and I can't get one.

In any case, can't wait to see what they can put together for next year...with it being Fest 20th anniversary I'm hoping they can get a line-up that could pack Bo Diddley every night

3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Still kinda gutter that I missed Rational Anthem's set. How were they?!!

American Television has been on my radar for a while now, and seeing a few songs of theirs live finally was definitely a low-key highlight for me! If you haven't checked out their latest record yet, it'll be right up your alley if you enjoyed their set. It has kind of a "Smoke Or Fire but more pop-punk" feel to it.

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

talking meds set ruled I danced a lot

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely thought I'd be the only one in that Suicide Machines shirt since I got in the mail a couple hours before I left, but I kept seeing that other guy in it all day haha I had so many people ask to take a pic of the back of it all day

6. HalfHearted

Regular

Looks like lineup announcement is 04/13 and tickets go on sale 04/20, per usual. Bummed I missed out on this last year but 100% going this year, can't wait.

7. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

the lineup leaked lol

theasteriskera likes this.
  8. emojedi

Trusted

theasteriskera likes this.
  9. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

upload_2022-4-12_11-25-1.jpeg

someone in cobra skulls posted it for like five minutes over the weekend on accident. overall I think its very underwhelming but its not like im Not going to go sooooor

10. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

That's an impressive, albeit super top-loaded line-up!

The undercard kinda feels like a repeat of the last couple years. Lots of cool acts, but nothing super special... With the exception of Audio Karate and Dan Vapid.

11. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

That’s a super top loaded lineup with a lot of bands playing two sets. Nothing super crazy as far as the lineup goes and one of the weakest undercards they’ve ever had.

12. Danny Apr 12, 2022
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2022)
    Cool! Not a ton of "Holy shit I can't believe that!" but absolutely solid and will make for a great weekend. Wondering if they'll throw any more big names for the second wave. Really expected one of either Against Me! or the Menzingers. I know the Menzies are touring in Florida this spring so hopefully they're just waiting for that to be done to get added.

If anyone has a couple bands they're super stoked on on the lower undercard I'd love some recs!

Any other realistic adds folks are expecting? Not sure how lofty to set my sights haha.

EDIT:

Adding some hopes - I know it's p basic but I'd love:

Jeff Rosenstock (Ska Dream Set?!) and/or Antarctigo Vespucci
    D4
    The Nil
    Hop Along
    Hotelier
    Rozwell Kid
    Sam Coffey
    White Reaper
    PUP
    Laura Stevenson
    Spraynard
    Just Friends
    Angel Dust
    The Chisel
    Dave Hause
    Single Mothers
    Japandroids
    Red City Radio
    Camp Cope

(sorry that got long lol, also did 0 research on who is touring where or if any of its feasible)

13. abear182

Regular

I am going regardless!

But I am a tad disappointed. Surprised no major band reunion on the initial line up.

Also if Menzingers don't get added at later date I will be totally shocked.

14. HalfHearted

Regular

I echo all the thoughts here. I will be in attendance regardless, but for a 20 year anniversary I was expecting a lot more. A Wilhelm Scream not being on the lineup is unfortunate, hopefully they get added at a later date.

15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Everyone attending should watch restraining order. Perhaps my favorite band on the undercard.

16. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah this is definitely not a huge wow factor yet but still bummed I can’t go, all the double sets will be a blast

17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

word on the street is the are offering very small guarentees for bands, so most of the relevant ones are getting that money elsewhere. I wouldn't hold your breath on that many bigger bands being added.

18. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Wonder what band they are going to officially announce tomorrow. Looking at that list… Avail would make the most sense.

19. whatisthat

Had my initial doubts on that flyer being a mock or real, but ultimately I think its real.

Happy for Bouncing Souls returning... a couple of nice surprises on the undercard: Dan Vapid, Dark Thoughts. Hope they add Dillinger Four, Banner Pilot, Modern Life is War.

This year will def sell out

20. abear182

Regular

If that is true then it's majorly disappointing especially for 20th anniversary year.

21. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I’m assuming Covid really hurt them the past two years so makes sense to not be able to offer a lot

22. Tifoil

ñ

Its official now

23. abear182

Regular