Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Feature Requests / Ideas Idea • Page 8

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Melody Bot, Jan 5, 2016.

1. I think honestly it was a gut thing when looking at them before. I thought 15 was not enough, 10 way too low, and when I looked at it with 20 I felt pretty strongly that the extra 5 was better for default (given how many people love the 50 option on AP.net, and how few people ever change their options away from 10 I knew the default was important). So once I had selected 25 as the default, figured bumping it by 10 was a good interval without there being too many options. I think for me 35 is the sweet spot for threads + forums and 45 is where I want it for conversations. (Also I gotta remember to use command+up and down arrow more for browsing with the longer threads to go to the top and bottom.)

Or maybe it was just a gut feeling and I'm justifying it in a weird way. Haha.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I really liked the dropdown on AP that allowed me to see all the posts a user had in a specific thread. Is that possible still?

stnewton and Wharf Rat like this.
  3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

rt. i think my eyes are just super weak aha.

4. Malatesta

also - sorry if this has been discussed already - i love the multi-quote insertion feature, but what do you think about just directly inserting a quote (sans confirmation pop-up) when the user only has a single quote collected? seems like it'd get tedious to be clicking through that a lot when most users generally just select a single message to quote.

i'll say it again - loving the design! i'm seeing lots of little features and attention to detail and it's terrific.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yessssss thank youuuu. 45 here I come!!!!

6. Malatesta

it's so weird. i remember how much i was like "why would i want more than 20 posts a page?" on AP and now it's like i can't handle anything other than 50 haha

7. Matt Chylak

What about a "favorite thread" profile option? Could be cool for users to rep the (imo, just 1) thread that kind of makes them unique.

8. Matt Chylak

The spacing and font are larger here, so I'm finding that 25 is actually kind of perfect for me right now.

9. The option in a menu itself like on AP.net doesn't currently exist, but the functionality still does (I think in a better and less cluttered way). At the top of each thread there's a search box, click it and it gives a few extra options:

[​IMG]

Making sure "search this thread only" is checked (it should be by default in any thread), you can then type a username in the posted by member box and hit search and it'll give you what you're looking for. You can also use both at once and search for a phrase and member and it'll give you everything in the thread with that phrase from that member.

10. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Just hit reply instead of quote if you're only wanting to quote a single post.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Hah, yeah, it's definitely on my "ideas" list to tackle. Dark theme, holiday theme. First thing is getting everything launched, getting content site launched, and then hopefully this ends up being successful enough that I can dedicate more time on that sort of stuff.

My thought process was that if someone is only quoting one post they could / probably should hit the reply button instead. Also, thanks! :-) I really appreciate that, and am glad you've noticed any of them!

Oh interesting. I haven't thought about that. Like just one thread on their profile they want to highlight? Hmm. I'll think about this. Not sure where I'd put it. If it's something you really want right now, technically you can use bbcode in the about me section. It's how I linked things and put a picture in mine. I'll give some more thought on that.

Yep, that was my thinking as well to why I didn't make it something like 45 by default. Trying to hit that sweet spot for most users and allow the power users to have the option to switch for chat threads and all that.

12. Matt Chylak

Oh yeah, this is dope! You've definitely improved the search functions ;)

13. Malatesta

oh hey for some reason i didn't notice the functionality of the reply button haha. makes sense. kewl!

14. Your name in the entire forum, or on a thread? I just tried it on this one and it looks like it went in the right order, but I am using a relevance algorithm on search, so there's a chance it might not be in certain places, but the trade off is way, way, way better search.

15. It's one of those things that once it makes sense, then it really makes sense. I argued with myself over the wording of those for a long time but I didn't like not having a word next to quote because the multi-quote feature is so much more powerful now and I think it's a killer feature I hope people use.

16. Matt Chylak

Yeah, for me, as a longtime AP user I really enjoy the nostalgic aspects of the community. I'm less interested in things like favorite book and album boxes and more about my history with the site/my continuing growth is a poster and person. Idk just something I was thinking about. Obviously creating like a specific space of some kind for it would be a better way to encourage users to fill it, but I can see it also not being a feature worth implementing for the vast majority of people.

In general I really like all the stylistic changes you've made. Just wanted to say that.

17. Malatesta

yeah, i think reply immediately brings private messages/comment trees to mind, so that might be why my brain wrote it off. but i can't think of something that would make more sense anyway.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Yeah, for the forum it's gonna be a relevance search by default ... which can be changed if you search from here (it's what "more" gets you most places there's a search box).

Search • forum.chorus.fm

At the bottom. And there's a whole lot of other options to really deep dive on the forums as well. Pro-tip: some cool options under the little arrow menu as well for quick links and common searches, and unchecking the "just this thread" box lets you search the entire forum from any thread.

19. Hahahaha, thanks. I could go on a huge rant about search on AP.net. I am pretty sure the main "search" is using some SWL full-text search garbage in the most horrific way .

Thanks! Appreciate that. I hope as you keep playing around with things you'll see even more — feel free to always hit me up with any questions at all. I've spent years on this and know the ins and outs that are much more power user-ish. The goal is to try and make the forum as great and simple to use for anyone just starting out on it, but also be really powerful and robust for those of us that spend a long time here. So not just removing features, but making it better.

20. Correct, it would murder the db to display all that.

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

So when I get famous, people won't be able to find my posts from when I was 14 years old, probably maybe?

22. Any plans to expand images on mobile when they are tapped?

23. I played around with a few options and didn't love any of them yet. Force touch will pop them though.

24. I'll enjoy that come iPhone 7 then. Haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

@Jason Tate youre the man!!!!!!!!!!!!! 45 posts per page for life!!!!

Jason Tate likes this.