Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Feature Requests / Ideas Idea

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Melody Bot, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Please post any feature requests or ideas you may have for this forum in this thread. Please be as descriptive as possible and detail what your idea for this forum may be.

2. Jason Tate Jan 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Jan 9, 2016)
    Ideas:
    • Incorporate a dropdown menu into the "community" link at the top of the page for quick access to other forums. (Note: the footer icon on the right provides this as well.)
    • Expand the "status" update on profiles to use a longer text limit; let these be more like notes (Note: would need to make sure it's trimmed in feeds to not over load.)

3. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I haven't played around with it, but for the Custom Title, is there a way to allow URLs in those similar to the normal AP ones? And if so, can anyone update?

4. Currently no, for a few reasons (spam, security, SEO, technical issues), it's just text at the moment. Could be a cool perk at some point though.

crunchprank and Ryan Gardner like this.
  5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Was curious if there was also a way to add a (1) or (x) on the browser tab once you receive a notification in realtime? Refreshing the page for the notifications icon to update isn't a big deal, but was just curious, since it would be easy to see if something new was going on if I was looking at other sites.

Edit: Kind of like how Facebook or Twitter shows a notification in the tab when something new happens.

sincerelymejames likes this.
  6. Actually, I think that is possible, let me play around with it for a second and see if I can't do that. That is really helpful and convenient for when you have tabs open and all that. I didn't even think of it -- great idea.

Hey, what do you know, it looks like it works!

[​IMG]

sincerelymejames and Eric Wilson like this.
  7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

This is awesome!! Haha wow, that didn't take you long at all to work out. But yeah just some kind of notification like that in the tab definitely seems like it would be useful.

8. Heh, I already had the code written to update the little numbers automatically on the page, just needed to write some javascript to use that info and update the title. Didn't take long at all -- and it is very userful, just saw your message here while I was messing around on Amazon. Hahaha.

9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Nice!! And yep look at that, works like a charm..

Attached Files:

10. I might be missing it, but is there a refresh button on mobile like there is on AP? It's convenient having that button instead of having to press the address bar and hit enter again to reload a page.

11. Not currently, just the built in browser one.

12. Sometimes I forget the browser one is there because in Chrome you have to press the menu button first, but I suppose that works just as well haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. It's also in the action menu (the button on the right of the nav bar) for threads/forums and also appears in the actual thread in landscape mode (on big enough devices). I didn't like how it sat in the actual thread view on anything under the iPhone 6S size when I was testing it. I kept clicking it by accident.

14. Mostly it's just a list of releases. I didn't like the idea of having to click navigation to get through a bunch of different weeks or anything like that. I think that what most people want is a list of albums coming out this week, and in the upcoming weeks. So right now I'm thinking of pulling 10+ weeks of releases into an easy to read table. Keeping it almost as bare and straightforward as possible. Making sure it loads fast, that you can see a bunch of releases at once without a lot of formatting on the text, and being able to keep it updated based on a variety of sources. I wrote a script today that lets me pull all the releases from a few places into flat text files, update them frequently, and add releases just by adding line into a text file and saving it. I'm leaning toward something that stupid simple. I'd make weekly posts and link to a forum thread + post that week's table/list after the jump.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

ALT + S was integral to the AP experience for me.

16. Jason Tate Feb 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Feb 9, 2016)
    Tab + enter and Alt+S are both configured.

17. Testing.

Yeah, for it to work (it's a browser specification for how accesskey works) you have to have clicked outside of the editor box for it to work. Tab will do that too. So tab then alt+s works, or tab+enter will also post, also tab + space should work as well.

I use tab enter to post.

18. For a thread / forum / PM?

19. Ah, yeah, it was used by very few people. Botton of all the pages has a little blue arrow menu, click that, and there's an option in there to mark all the forums as read:

[​IMG]

20. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Have you thought about including an option for the post editor to support Markdown or would that be considered more of a power user feature?

21. I write almost everything in Markdown these days, and I looked at the option and put it on a "maybe someday" list. I'd have to implement the parser in a weird way.

22. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

probs a really long shot, but are you considering migrating recent threads, say, created after a certain time?

just thinking it's gonna be a pain to like, resume discussion of recent / upcoming albums and have discussion scattered across two threads on two sites, etc.

23. The short answer is probably not.

I am going to buy the domain name and trademarks back for the website (AP.net), but the database and code for that site was way too expensive. I'm still playing with ideas though to see if I can come up with some sort of solution that I think works better than "fuck it AP.net gets redirected here."

24. Out of curiosity, does this mean that Spin could relaunch essentially the same site under a different name?

25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If that were to happen, it would probably be time to resort to vigilante justice.