Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Favorite Podcasts Podcast • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Jan 15, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

DOUGHBOYS!

Robk, OhTheWater and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Limetown gets so dumb after the first 3-4 episodes though. It starts off really compelling and then just gets worse and worse over time.

3. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

Current favourites are The Canon, You Must Remember This, Adam Buxton's podcast, Doughboys and Turned Out A Punk. Reggie Watts' Nerdist episode from this week is really good as well.

4. phaynes1

Regular

Everything being done by The Ringer right now is incredible.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Can someone point me to a podcast that will make me less completely ignorant to History? It's troubling how little I know

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Dan Carlin's hardcore history.

OhTheWater likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Thank you, that seems to be the one to go with. I'm not down to pay $60 blind so I'll check out one of the newer ones first. Or find other means

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Stuff You Missed In History Class is one I like that discusses events on a smaller scale

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I actually listened to the first two on the way home since they were so short. I assume they branch out to longer, more in depth episodes than 3 minutes, right?

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I guess you started at the beginning? I've never gone back, just listened to recent episodes every now and then. The ones they're doing now are usually around 40 minutes long

OhTheWater likes this.
  11. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

There's a general knowledge series by the BBC called In Our Time which is very extensive, including a lot of history stuff. Probably worth a try.
    BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time - History

OhTheWater likes this.
  12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Jason Tate and Jacob Tender like this.
  13. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Hardcore history is really good. Very long form but absolutely justified and engaging throughout.

I like The History of Rome and have heard good things about Revolutions by the same guy, Mike Duncan. He can be a little dry, but they're short.

Revolutions
    The History of Rome: July 2007

A different guy is continuing the history of Rome with history of Byzantium, also good. Personally I find Byzantium a little more interesting than Rome as a topic but both podcasts are worth checking out.

The History of Byzantium

For more of an overview I recently started The Podcast History of our World and I think it's really good. It's basically the curriculum of a History 101 Western Civ course, so far, but maybe a bit more in depth and no exams.

The Podcast History of Our World

Also heard good things about The History of England and The Norman Centuries which personally I think are some of the more interesting topics of Euro History

Norman Centuries | A Norman History Podcast by Lars Brownworth
    The History of England

All/most of those should be on iTunes but I linked their websites in case they're not

Jason Tate and OhTheWater like this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Thank you both!

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

currently just listen to SPONTANEANATION and with Special Guest in terms of comedy, and Coverville in terms of music
    rip the Fogelnest files

16. KRKrummy

Formerly SanePsychotic Prestigious

Question: what do you listen to podcasts on? I've been using Podcast Addict on my phone, but I'd like to find something that I can use on both my phone and my computer. Any suggestions?

17. alexstolar

Just The Worst

Android or iOS?

18. alexstolar

Just The Worst

Occasionally played Destiny with those guys, they're hilarious even when they're not recording. I'm hoping to catch one of their live shows at some point.

Olyphantastic likes this.
  19. KRKrummy

Formerly SanePsychotic Prestigious

20. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I'm not sure if it works on the computer or not so this is only half helpful but I use Overcast. I really love the apps interface, the smart speed feature and sometimes the voice boost for people who speak low. I like how it's organized my shows too.

As for my favorite Podcasts/shows I'msubscribed to, to answer the thread question:

Bitch Sesh: A Real Housewives Breakdown (me and my wife watch terrible reality TV but also Casey Wilson rules)
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Doughboys (behind everything cause I've been only listening to this. At EP 30)
    Get Up On This
    Gilmore Guys (watching Gilmore Girls for the first time now and following along)
    How Did This Get Made?
    Jalen & Jacoby (favorite sports podcast)
    The Lowe Post
    Mormon Stories (ex Mormon podcast)
    Music Popcast
    Nerdist
    Never Not Funny
    Rap Radar
    Who Charted?
    You Made It Weird

21. alexstolar

Just The Worst

Shiftjelly Pocket Casts. It's $4, but all my Android friends run that.

22. fronkensteen

Trusted

Sucks that you're the only person to mention UYD.

Film Junk and Uhh Yeah Dude are the best/funniest podcasts out there.

23. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

I loved Matt Pryor's Nothing to Write Home About podcast, but it's been quite awhile since he's posted a new one. Hope it isn't finished-- dude has such a funny/cranky take on current music.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. alexstolar

Just The Worst

The Giantbombcast is easily my favorite podcast. Consistently high quality and entertaining. There are some ridiculous moments in the backlog as well.

25. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I don't listen to that many but my favorite podcast that I didn't see mentioned yet (unless I missed it) is StarTalk Radio with Neil Degrasse Tyson. Others I listen to:

Planet Money
    Radiolab
    Stuff You Missed In History Class
    Stuff You Should Know
    Serial