Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Favorite Bands/Artists • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I definitely see both sides to this, I think there's a degree where averaging played a part in my ranking. But only a degree. Say Anything and Anberlin were tied for my favorite band up until early 2015 when my Circa Survive obsession really came out, and in the end the reason Anberlin got the number 2 spot is because of how bad Say Anything's newest album is. But at the end of the day, even though I enjoy a higher percentage of Death Cab's albums, I enjoy the Say Anything I enjoy more than those albums so I ranked Say Anything at 3 still. I think ranking your favorite bands and ranking who you think are the best bands are two different things. I think IARB is the best Say Anything album, but it's far from my favorite.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

But it's about favourite bands, haha. The ones you like the most. The whole thing is about personal bias. I just think that if you like a band more by a considerable amount, a few shitty albums won't change that to the extent that an average would show.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

And bands are their discographies. By minimizing the misses of bands you otherwise adore, I feel like that's not an honest assessment. You still need to find a way to account for the parts you hate if an average doesn't work for you.

4. SpyKi

Say Anything was one of the main ones I had to think about too because I hate IDTII so much and if I took an average there's no way Say Anything would have made it on over some other band but I still adore ...is a Real Boy so much and really enjoy the other four albums in between enough for them to make it on.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  5. SpyKi

And like I said, I did. I just take them into account when deciding. But yeah, my hatred for the newest Say Anything album isn't going to have anywhere near as much effect on dragging that band down as IARB is at getting it up for me. By taking an average though it would significantly alter my score.

6. SpyKi

I'm not saying your way of doing things is wrong if that's what works for you because if the bad albums really sour your opinion on a band then that could very well be an accurate reflection of your taste, I just know for me it wouldnt be.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Sometimes I think to myself that I should give IDTII another shot, then I remember the pubeless line and that weird verse about Katy Holmes or whatever and change my mind. Haha Seriously though, such a bad album. I hope next is better.

8. SpyKi

I've tried like three times and that was enough to know I'll never listen again, haha. I'm still excited for the next album, haha

I might try and work out averages tomorrow and see how different my list is, haha.

9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I listened to it like 15 times the first week or two it was out just trying to like it, and I couldn't. I remember having it playing a lot while I was playing Paper Mario & the Thousand Year Door. haha

10. SpyKi

I literally couldn't stand it. I've very rarely had a reaction like that to an album, haha. Also I really want to finish that game but it's so expensive now, I regret selling my copy.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Totally get what @White is saying, but I think I lean towards @SpyKi's side more. Don't think Yellowcard would make my top 10 if I had to give Lights & Sounds a 2 or whatever and average that in, but in my mind they're easily a top three band.

Jose, Benjamin Lee and SpyKi like this.
  12. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I was really, really hoping it would grow on me. It didn't at all. haha

I just did an emulator. haha It's easy enough to play with just a keyboard. I regret not having gamecube anymore though, I never beat Mario Sunshine and I want nothing more than to do that.

13. SpyKi

I might emulate it at some point, I've been playing some SNES games recently that way but I've never attempted anything more demanding than Crash Bandicoot so I'm not sure how my laptop would fare with Gamecube games.

14. White

I love how, not only has there been a single ranking/list in the last like ~20 posts, but now we're talking about video games.

This thread has officially been derailed.

So... Bismack Biyombo got 4 years at like 70 million from the Magic. Crazy shit, huh?

SpyKi likes this.
  15. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

It really just depends on specs I suppose. My computer is technically good, but has issues playing any actual PC games (I bought Skyrim for nothing basically) but it handled Paper Mario perfectly. If you do try it, just make sure you have the latest version of Dolphin. Old ones are slow.

@White haha I don't think I've ever seen a thread not derail on this site. I didn't think this one would derail that direction though. ah well. I have no idea what Bismack is

SpyKi likes this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Another big thing that determines all timers for me is the size of the catalog, in addition to the quality. Every Time I Die have put out 7 exceptional albums imo which kind of beats out, say, Cursive with 3 exceptional albums and the rest of their discog I don't really care for. I still adore Cursive, but they can't quite make my top 10/15/20 because of how small the discography that I love is.

SpyKi likes this.
  17. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Weezer's one of my favorite bands but they sure have released some duds lol

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think statistically there's a right way to do this, it comes down to more of a feeling.

SpyKi, bd007h and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

You mean all their albums? ;-)

20. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Hey now :P Blue and Pinkerton are gems lol

21. White

Feeling are for the weak.

[​IMG]

Preserved Moose, muttley and SpyKi like this.
  22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Eh. I just don't like the band. ;-p

23. CoffeeEyes17

Tell ya what @FTank has been on a roll these past few days with the controversial opinions

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

What were the other ones? Something about JEW? haha

25. CoffeeEyes17

yeah and then TBS also which really broke my little emo heart