Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Favorite Bands/Artists

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Benjamin Lee, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee Jun 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2016)
    Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I know people's views on ranking things are kind of all over, but I thought it would be cool to see where everybody is coming from sort of (and maybe find some new stuff even). So what is everyone's favorite 5-10-20-whatever bands/artists?

Mine top 10 are:
    1. Circa Survive
    2. Anberlin
    3. Say Anything
    4. Death Cab for Cutie
    5. Relient k
    6. Copeland
    7. Passion Pit
    8. mewithoutYou
    9. Kevin Devine & the Goddamn Band
    10. Jimmy Eat World

heartbeatsbrain, SpyKi and Lucas27 like this.
  2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Green Day
    Yellowcard
    Jimmy Eat World
    All Time Low
    The Dangerous Summer
    Less Than Jake
    The 1975
    Taylor Swift
    Andrew McMahon
    Bon Iver

A couple only have two albums, like Bon Iver and the 1975, but in each case they're both fucking fantastic. This is a rough ordering, but don't hold me to it.

3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I didn't realize Green Day was like a top tier band for some people. What would you say is their best album(s)? I've only heard Dookie and I wasn't really too big on it. I heard a lot of mixed things about that trilogy album they did and haven't heard about them since.

4. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

American Idiot, easily. After that Nimrod. Trilogy was the worst thing they've done

Dirty Sanchez, Jose and Benjamin Lee like this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'll check out American Idiot sometime, then Nimrod if I like that. Also, my girlfriend hates that I like Taylor Swift, but Red is awesome. Found it at Goodwill awhile ago. Probably should buy a new copy sometime though because the goodwill one is pretty scratched up.

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Her last three albums are all fantastic.

7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I didn't like Shake It Off (mostly that "Get down to this sick beat" line, gave me second hand embarrassment. Haha) is that song a good representation of 1989, or have I been avoiding the album for no reason?

8. Jose

weightless in the valley

1. Green Day
    2. The National
    3. Thrice
    4. Manchester Orchestra
    5. mewithoutYou
    6. Fireworks
    7. Turnover
    8. The Wonder Years
    9. Hands Like Houses
    10. The Menzingers

Honorable mentions go to City and Colour, Bon Iver and All Get Out.

Lucas27 likes this.
  9. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Man, didn't know Green Day's appeal at all apparently. Cool to see Hands Like Houses, Dissonants is awesome. Glad to see they're connecting with people.

10. Jose

weightless in the valley

I've loved Hands Like Houses since Unimagine, Dissonants was very solid. And you should totally get on the Green Day train. Like FTank said, American Idiot is their best imo.

FTank and Benjamin Lee like this.
  11. Dodger Jun 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2016)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

All Time Low - Used to be my unequivocal favorite. Now its been three straight albums that hasn't had much lasting from so its hard to put them at the top, but Ive never loved a band more than them. Their first 4 albums were huge for me. 1. SWIR 2. TPS/PUOSU 3. NP 4. FH 5. DP 6. DW

Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue is why i started playing guitar. Sister gave me that album and everything changed for me. Probably my favorite album overall. If not for them i might be a preppy polo-shirt-sweater-vest lame-o who doesn't give a shit about music. haha idk. Song-writing is some of the most consistently great stuff of any band I've heard.
    1. OA 2. L&S 3. PW 4. WYTTSY 5. SA 6. LAS 7. OFTK

Paramore - I actually just realized doing this thing that they are the only band that I like every one of their albums a lot and listen to all of them consistently. wtf? when did that happen? Kind of weird for me to put them as one of my favorites. Ive only seen them once at warped and can't say I'm as big of a follower like i am with my other favorites. Song writing is amazing though and can't get enough of Hayley. 1. BNE 2. Riot! 3. AWKIF 4. Paramore

Michael Jackson - Cant leave him out. From Jackson 5 to Dangerous. Made some of the best albums ever. Attention to detail and focus to creating the best art he could led to masterpieces. Was transcendent in singing, dancing, writing, performing, entertaining, and being a humanitarian. He's influenced me too much to not put him on here. 1. Bad 2. Thriller 3. OTW 4. Dangerous 5. Others

Fall Out Boy - Quite simply their first two albums are two of my favorite of all time. Listen to them more consistently than any other albums. All year round. Despite not liking their other albums that much (as in i don't really listen to them. whoops) 1. FUTCT 2. TTTYG 3. FAD 4. IOH 5. The Others

Reel Big Fish - First band I went to see live. Seen them so many times since. Have had endless fun at their shows. Listening to their music makes my heart get an erection. 1. CU 2. TOTR 3. WDTRSH 4. Others

Others

Sum 41
    The Used
    Justin Timberlake
    Kenny Vasoli
    Shawn Harris
    The Beatles
    Jimmy Eat World
    Protest The Hero
    Less Than Jake

TedSchmosby, Jose and Benjamin Lee like this.
  12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Cool thread! Some of my all time favourites are:
    Counting Crows
    Owen
    Pearl Jam
    Brand New
    Modest Mouse
    Seether
    Marilyn Manson
    The Cure
    Ween
    Deftones

Most of these bands have discogs that I grew up with and are all pretty personal to me, so they're the first that come to mind when I think of favourites.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Great mention! Every thing he's done has been awesome

14. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I just heard Ween for the first time the other night, had no idea they did stuff for SpongeBob. Haha They're pretty cool. Deftones I really want to get into, but am having a hard time with anything Pre-Gore. Pretty cool list though, so far all the responses have stuff I did not expect.

15. Lucas27

Trusted

Anberlin
    Andrew Peterson
    Bon Iver
    From Indian Lakes
    Mew
    mewithoutYou
    My Epic
    Sufjan Stevens
    Thrice
    Twenty One Pilots

This is all alphabetical, as opposed to in order but incidentally I would say Anberlin is my favorite band of all time. I think my sphere of musical influence can all be chalked up to these 10 artists and all for various reasons. Everything they touch is gold for me (yes, even TOP).

16. Lucas27

Trusted

Copeland, Circa, Death Cab, and RK would all probably be in my top 20. I need to listen to JEW a lot more than I have considering they paved the way for so many of my favorite artists. Best album?

17. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Every album except for Static Prevails. Hahaha (they're all good, everyone has a different favorite)

Since we both love Anberlin, what is your favorite of theirs? I'll recommend a JEW album based on that.

18. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Our Lady Peace
    Meg Myers
    The Offspring
    Foo Fighters
    Weezer
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Third Eye Blind
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Funeral For A Friend
    Senses Fail
    Green Day
    Sum 41
    Eve 6
    Between the Buried and Me
    Silversun Pickups
    Nada Surf
    Garbage
    Barenaked Ladies
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Gaslight Anthem

Hahaha kinda hard to narrow down because I listen to a lot of different stuff and I binge listen to artists in phases.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  19. Quercus

Regular

In no particular order, except alphabetically:

Brand New
    Caspian
    Modest Mouse
    Moving Mountains
    Night Moves
    Pink Floyd
    Portugal. The Man
    Rush
    The Dear Hunter
    Thrice

Lucas27 and Benjamin Lee like this.
  20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd listen to it, I think there are a decent number of people who like the album but aren't huge on that song.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  21. JM95

Trusted

Top Three

1) Deftones
    2) Glassjaw
    3) Reuben

I'd struggle to put the rest of these in order:

The Cure
    Mono
    Bon Iver
    Tool
    Jeff Buckley
    Underoath
    Paramore
    Weezer
    Pantera
    Bjork
    Jimmy Eat World

22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I really love all the variety. I was half expecting everyone's number one to be Brand New. Haha

23. Lucas27

Trusted

Cities all the way. Favorite album of all time. But I would say Lowborn second. I like how diverse and adventurous both records are.

24. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Alkaline Trio
    Coheed and Cambria
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    AFI
    Minus the Bear

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  25. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Emperor X
    Copeland