Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Father John Misty Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

P sure you don't need permission to cover a song live, you just can't record and release it for profit. I think he's funny. He plays to his brand but he's an entertainer, that's how they pay the bills.

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  2. AngryMan

Regular

Obviously live covers are commonplace, but what if it's on a television show that is using it to profit? Seems like a loophole that would need to be closed.

Jacob likes this.
  3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Read somewhere they would have required permission from his publisher. Guessing he would pick up some royalties too.

First post here so should probably mention I Love You, Honeybear is a top five record of mine for the 2010s so far.

AngryMan likes this.
  4. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

You might be right about that. Maybe it's up to the label and not Tilman personally

5. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

fjm sure knows how to #craft that #brand

6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

That cover did suck though.

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

he sucks too tho so that is also #on#brand

8. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I know artist comparing is always stupid and arbitrary, but for whatever reason, more than any others, people holding up Fleet Foxes and FJM as similar, associated acts in rivalry with one another are the dumbest people. I have a handful of acquaintances who don't listen to FF because "FJM is better," as if Josh ever had creative input in that group. Been hearing it an especially large amount lately, what with FF returning and FJM remaining in the news.

AngryMan likes this.
  9. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Truly meaningless comparisons.

10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

His music is great, honestly I don't really care about his persona. He's funny usually, like someone else said his job is to be an entertainer and I'm usually entertained by his schtick, but mostly by his music.

11. zmtr

Trusted

Are we in year 3 of you jumping into FJM threads to shit on him? Haha

truelovewaits likes this.
  12. zmtr

Trusted

Yeah this shit gets annoying. Robin is to FF as JV is to Bon Iver. Tillman added a pretty perfect voice in an already perfect harmony when they played live and on Helplessness Blues but he had nothing to do with the writing process.

I'd probably place FF somewhere in my top 10 of favorite bands ever but I could never pick between the two.

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

anyone see FJM arguing with people at length on facebook? kinda funny. his replies are like reading a college essay of someone who is trying really hard to satisfy the word count.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

carrytheweight and Aaron Mook like this.
  15. Jim

Trusted Supporter

carrytheweight likes this.
  16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

new album out 3/31 looks like

carrytheweight likes this.
  17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

zmtr likes this.
  18. Holy Shit

Steeeve Perry likes this.