Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Father John Misty Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Jul 26, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Joshua Michael Tillman (born May 3, 1981), also known as J. Tillman or Father John Misty, is an American singer, songwriter, guitarist and drummer. Maintaining a steady output of solo recordings since 2004, Tillman is a former member of indie rock bands Saxon Shore, Fleet Foxes, Jeffertitti's Nile, Pearly Gate Music, Siberian, Har Mar Superstar, Poor Moon, Low Hums, Jonathan Wilson, Bill Patton, The Lashes, Stately English, and has toured extensively with Pacific Northwest artists Damien Jurado, Jesse Sykes, and David Bazan.

His new single "Real Love Baby" has been mastered and officially digitally released. Great song.

2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I was looking for a FJM thread the other day to talk about what an a-hole he was at xpn fest this weekend, but since this is the first response, I'll save it for later and say that I actually like this new song a lot.

3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I've been going through the "J. Tillman" records for the last few months. Once I'm done with them, I'll move onto the Father John Misty stuff. It's all been great so far.

coleslawed and beachdude42 like this.
  4. beachdude

5. beachdude

I'm still a little unclear as to what actually happened there, mind filling me in?

6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I mean, just as context, XPN is an awesome radio station that's member-supported, no commercials, supports small and local artists etc. etc. and the festival is really chill and cheap and they really take care of the festival-goers and the artists, which usually shows.

FJM showed up on stage and basically rambled incoherently for ten minutes, scolding the audience for, basically, the existence of Donald Trump. He was arguing with audience members, then sang a very long improvised song, yelled some more, then played "Bird on a Wire" by Leonard Cohen on request. Then he left the stage 30 minutes early.

Edit: I will say the improvised song was also really good and I wished it had been recorded.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. beachdude

Sounds like him lol

8. kyyuulle

Recreate The Heart

That XPN story is awesome. Josh is a fantastic musician, if you ever listened to Fleet Foxes Sun Giant & their self titled LP, Josh is drumming & doing backup vocals on those records.

I think the song "The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apartment" is the perfect summation of Josh's personality.

9. AngryMan

Regular

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  10. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

I'm super duper over this dude's internet schtick, and persona in general

11. zmtr

Trusted

I still think he's hilarious.

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

likewise. i can't explain when it happened, but there was a certain point when i was just done with it. still love his music.

13. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

lol what a whiny thing to be upset about

beachdude42 and FrankieThe4th like this.
  14. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not upset about it I just think it's annoying. There's a difference there.

Kyle is hk and EngineDown like this.
  15. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

i was more referring to the initial post, hah

beachdude42 and ChiliTacos like this.
  16. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Yeah I'm literally weeping over here.

17. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

might even say misty

18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I'm late to the FJM party, but I dig.

AngryMan likes this.
  19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

20. beachdude42 likes this.
  21. AngryMan

Regular

Everyone is shitting on this, including Father John Misty, who, true to self, is shit talking it to promote himself. But....I don't think it was all that bad? And I'm pretty sure FJM, and not the label, would have had to give permission for the show to use his intellectual property?

So, even more true to the FJM brand: He gave permission (probably), only to shit on it and further his own brand.

I love his music, but sometimes he's just insufferable.

Anyways, I don't see what the big deal is.

22. he deleted that post

also the cover was awful

23. AngryMan

Regular

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. AngryMan likes this.
  25. AngryMan

Regular

Haha I don't disagree, it's really funny. It's also right on brand.