Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Father John Misty - Pure Comedy (April 7, 2017) Album • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Jan 23, 2017.

1. mattfreaksmeout Feb 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 21, 2018)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Hmm I take this song as a response to people always talking about his "character" as if Father John Misty and Josh Tillman are not the same person. He spends time talking about the crazy things he's done at this hotel, and then there's the chorus (or closest thing to it) which goes "don't be alarmed, this is just my vibe, no need to walk around, no it's not too bad a climb", which is, to me, him saying we don't need to do backflips to try to explain his behavior or say that it's all part of his persona.

In that sense, I'm at odds with the interpretation in the Pitchfork review. Rather than leaning into the "man-as-meme", as they described it, I see this as him rebelling against that idea, and the fact that the song is named Mr. Tillman only emphasizes that point.

SteveLikesMusic, zmtr and Aaron Mook like this.
  2. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Haha I'm still trying to make it all the way through Culture II

sophos34 likes this.
  3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Only took a year but this album finally clicked with me

4. zmtr

Trusted

lets goooooooooooooooooooo

[​IMG]

5. AngryMan

Regular

6. eagles1139

Regular

Really excited for this after listening to those previews + the fact that it's a short album. I don't dislike Pure Comedy but it's an exhausting listen at times and it took me forever to get into it. Seems like this album is going to be very personal and more melodic, so I'm all in.

7. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Mr Tillman has grown on me a lot. It's hilarious.

8. radiodead

Trusted

Disappointing Diamonds is excellent.

Just the kind of slight shift I needed.

9. AngryMan

Regular

Best video I've seen in a long while...

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  10. zmtr

Trusted

Sitting here spinning this and reading along.. I’ve heard this song probably 100 times before but haven’t in a while. It sent fucking shivers down my spine. Every line is beyond relevant right now.

coleslawed, Steeeve Perry and neo506 like this.
  11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeppppp, friend and I were talking about this the other day. Eerie.