Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Father John Misty - God's Favorite Customer (June 1, 2018) Album • Page 22

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I keep coming back to this even when i try to listen to other new stuff. This is so good.

2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

can't get the title track out of my head. truly one of my favorite vocal melodies ever.

Aaron Mook, AngryMan, Mary V and 3 others like this.
  3. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

also reminds me a ton of the last two okkervil albums, just beautiful and expansive folk

Quercus likes this.
  4. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The entrance of the Weyes Blood vocals—as the aforementioned “angel” from Tillman—is the best singular musical moment of 2018 so far.

Mary V and primavera like this.
  5. Quercus

Regular

I kind of agree. Atleast the latest album. Away reminds me of Pure Comedy in the way that they both kind of meanders at times.

primavera likes this.
  6. The title track was initially my least favorite, but I also can't get it out of my head lately. Album is truly special

Matt Chylak likes this.
  7. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Was my favourite on first listen. Please Don't Die has been the biggest grower for me (aside from Mr Tillman). It might be my top song on the record now, either Please Don't Die or Just Dumb Enough to Try.

8. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Yep, it was initially impenetrable to me and now it's perhaps my favorite. The video definitely helped, but I love when that happens.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

zmtr, imthesheriff and coleslawed like this.
  10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Just saw him again, fantastic as usual.

Someone held up a “THE POEM ZONE” sign and he said he liked it haha

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

this is crushing me right now. I see a lot of myself in this record. All his flaws are a mirror image of mine. It’s helping me learn how to deal with being the kind of person I am and how all my self hatred just exacerbated the cycle of destruction I put myself and my loved ones through

12. Missed Radiohead tonight, but I'm catching him next Friday, so at least I'm scratching something off the bucket list. Couldn't be more excited.

13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Me too and I regret the fuck out of it. One of the few bands left that I haven’t seen that I want to I just don’t have the money right now. I don’t have tickets for FJM next week but am seriously considering it even though I still don’t have the money for it!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

FJM is the best live vocalist I’ve ever seen

15. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

He extended the ending of Date Night, yelling something along the lines of “IT’S DATE NIGHT BABY!!!! IM GONNA SHOW YOU A GOOD TIIIME!” it was amazing haha

16. ihaveblink

Regular

anybody a fan of his before the FJM moniker? I liked him (basically an extension of my Fleet Foxes fandom) and it's still insane how much better he got when he switched over. J. Tillman is alright, but I sometimes forget that was even him. I still have a poster from the 9:30 club gig he did that I never went to.

17. zmtr

Trusted

It all sounds so similar but there are some great songs in there.

18. zmtr

Trusted

This song is amazing.

coleslawed and ihaveblink like this.
  19. Fwiw I just moved to a new city, don't start work for another week and a half, am very broke and have lots of student debt, HOWEVER $35 is much more agreeable than $80. also doesn't hurt that I have a $30 refund from Brockhampton cancelling sitting in my PayPal

imthesheriff likes this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I didn’t get into the j tillman albums til after I got into FJM but I think they’re all great

21. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Where’d you move to in Pittsburgh? I live out by the airport.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. Currently staying with my bandmate on Mount Washington, but I'll be moving to Monroeville in a month or two. We should link up sometime!

23. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i still dig J. Tillman

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  24. He was, as expected, amazing last weekend. Kept quiet between songs for the most part, outside of a few jokes and some audience interaction. He also seemed to loosen up and perform more as the show went on. The backing visuals during "Date Night" were outrageous and hilarious. Great setlist with an excellent mix of all four albums:

Nancy From Now On
    Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)
    Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All
    Only Son of the Ladiesman
    Mr. Tillman
    Total Entertainment Forever
    Ballad of the Dying Man
    Hangout at the Gallows
    Bored in the USA
    Please Don't Die
    I'm Writing a Novel
    Date Night
    Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
    Pure Comedy
    We're Only People (And There's Not Much Anyone Can Do About That)
    God's Favorite Customer
    I Love You, Honeybear

Encore:
    Real Love
    Holy Shit
    The Ideal Husband

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm so anxious to see these GFC songs live