Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Father John Misty – Pure Comedy • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 5, 2017.

1. This album is the Benji of 2017. And what that means to you tells me a lot about you.

2. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

None of this guys music has clicked for me. I Love You, Honeybear came close but nothing of his I've enjoyed. This album is probably the worse of his that I have heard.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I'm fascinated by how polarising this album is. It was my most anticipated entering 2017 and my intrigue has only grown. So far his lyrics have been a plus for me, and are helped by the fact he is quick to point out his own ridiculousness, rather than just criticise the rest of humanity. I'm also looking forward to the instrumentals which have been praised everywhere.
    Makes me wonder how people can dislike listening to the album so much. From what I can gather even if you don't go in for the lyrics his voice and the orchestration would be worth the price of admission as background music.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I found it extremely samey, musically. Most of the songs are plodding mid-tempo numbers, and I don't think he's a very good singer, so hearing him and his melodies just became a chore. The orchestration is probably the best thing about the record, but it's tough to focus on that when there are so many other things about this record I find off-putting.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Hmm did you enjoy Honeybear?

6. Craig Manning

I don't love that record, but I liked it considerably more than this one. I thought the songs were better crafted, the melodies were stronger, and the lyrics weren't so obnoxious.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. It's definitely ballad-heavy, and there are at least two songs that I think are mis-sequenced and potentially kill whatever momentum the album has at that point, but damn, I can't imagine not enjoying his vocals, haha. They're like honey.

Regardless, hope you enjoy the review! I feel like we haven't talked in a minute

8. Craig Manning

I think my issue with his vocals is less with his tone and more with the cadence of his delivery. Stuff like the beginning of "Leaving LA," where he has like six rhymed lines in a row (seat/free/leave/New Orleans/queens/jeans) really grate on me the way he sings them. I'm not sure how to explain it, and it didn't bother me as much with his last record. Maybe it's just that I think most of these songs are wandering in the dark in search of melody, so his vocals just sound plodding and weak to me. Like I said, I need to listen again.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Sounds like a chore, ok, but I'm excited and have been for a long time, waiting to have some proper time to sit down and listen to it with the lyrics, cause in fact Tillman isn't the strongest vocalist, I could just use some satire, loved the previous one!

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Honeybear is a top five album of the decade for mine. Maybe because it hit at the right time for me. I listened to it a ton when I was engaged and getting married. Thought his observations about love, jealousy and his own shortcomings were hilarious yet also really touching.
    It seems like this is his coked out epiphany record... Not sure how this one will connect but I can be pretty cynical when it comes to religion and the importance of humanity so there's a chance I'll smile more than I cringe at the lyrics

Aaron Mook and Bartek T. like this.
  11. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Only listened twice but I'm surprised to see the word hate thrown around.

I feel like there is a critique of everyone and everything on here which might to pessimistic for some. For me I appreciate some if being self deprecating and the rest being quasi sarcasm.

Maybe not a one to one but I keep thinking about the Comedian from watchmen when thinking about the album. Clearly a villain who will keep provoking every situation until people stop calling him a hero.

12. I really feel like once you get past all the flash and pomp, there are some really genuine moments here (and throughout Honeybear) that kind of get buried by the character and theatrics of it all

somethingliketj likes this.
  13. Once you get past all the flash and pomp all that's left is a few piano chords

14. zmtr

Trusted

What's wrong with piano chords?

15. Nothing! But I don't want to listen to just piano chords for 75 minutes

16. zmtr

Trusted

thats definitely fair

17. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I do, but it's a tiny little Crosley and I don't feel like sitting there and flipping the record a few times. Shows you how much of my vinyl I actually play.

18. To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Craig Manning

Haha, vicious.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  20. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

@Aaron Mook Man, you've really become a great, great writer.

I remember tried really hard to get into Honeybear back when it came out but found it boring, so I'm not sure what I'll think about this one. I'll probably revisit that one and try again, then try this one. Then do the same thing with Sun Kil Moon, who I can't remember if I ever listened to.

I've really gotten more into more folk/country music in the past year or so, so maybe I'll feel differently now.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. Thanks a ton, Ryan! That really means a lot coming from you. I hope all is well, I feel like it's been a while since I've seen you around.

I think going back to Honeybear before this is a good strategy. If you thought that was boring, there's a good chance this won't be for you, but I'd also recommend going back to Fear Fun. That might be more up your alley.

As for Sun Kil Moon, I definitely would not recommend starting with anything after Benji. I like those albums, but a lot of others don't, and they're pretty inaccessible if you're not a fan of his new stream-of-consciousness style. If you've never listened to him, try starting with Ghosts of the Great Highway, which is more traditional and happens to be my favorite album of all-time. Then try Benji, which is his best work in the new style.

22. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I'm doing well! I browse the news daily still - I've just never been super active posting in the forums. Then obviously my output has severely decreased over the past couple years due to working full time now, but I try to pop in here and there with some of the smaller features (Most Anticipated, EOTY, etc).

Cool, I'll check out Fear Fun as well as Ghosts of the Great Highway then Benji.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

Finally got around to reading this. Really good review, @Aaron Mook. Definitely the best writing I've seen from you.

Your opening paragraph about "authenticity" really struck me, because that's sort of the big complaint that I've come to have about this record. I think he is talking down to his audience, but unlike you, I don't think he is an authentic, honest songwriter. Maybe that's because of his whole shtick and persona, or maybe it's the songs themselves, but I have a very hard time relating to anything he says on this record. He might as well be from a different planet for how little personal resonance I find in his songwriting. I think he is actively trying to be provocative and profound instead of being honest.

I watched a Jason Isbell interview earlier this week where he said "I think 'good art' and 'bad art' can be lumped into: the good art reminds you of your similarities and the bad art reminds you of your differences." For me, this album falls into the latter category. (Ironically, I think Isbell actually likes Father John Misty's music a lot.)

24. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I can relate a lot to thinking people are stupid.

25. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

I can totally understand the alternative perspective on his personality, or how he can often come across as disingenuous - however, I do find myself "getting" what he's putting out. I do feel his concern for humanity and do feel that he genuinely cares about what happens at the end of all of this, but think his delivery method is sometimes bloated and not quite as fully-framed as he intended it. That being said, the man's words are witty, poignant, hilarious, and often very touching. The main argument for a lot of these issues I think is understanding the difference between Josh Tillman and the "character" of FJM, how much satire is too much satire, and so on.

Jonathan and Aaron Mook like this.