Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fat Mike Talks Vegas Backlash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 2, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan Ozzi sat down with Fat Mike for a new interview where he addresses the Las Vegas controversy last year:

You guys have been around since the 80s. Do you think your style of comedy can still work now?

Yeah, sure. I don’t know about the U.S. The U.S. is turning into some Puritan-Quaker country where everyone gets offended.

Do you think a band like NOFX could start up now?

I don’t know. The people defending me when I said that, it wasn’t very many people. The only two I can think of were Laura Jane [Grace] and Sick of It All. No one wanted to get on my side. No one wanted to touch us, which was why I wrote on the internet that we got banned in the U.S.

2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

What a read.

Raku likes this.
  3. zmtr

Trusted

This guy is the worst

Brent likes this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  5. Tyler

Regular Supporter

"Do you think—

We’re making a banter record, by the way, of stuff we’ve said on stage. It’s called You Think Vegas Was Bad?. [Laughs]

Is that something you really want to do?

I’m doing it. Yeah."

What a fuck.

Raku, Jake W and zmtr like this.
  6. Woohoo! May 2, 2019
    (Last edited: May 2, 2019)
    Woohoo!

Regular

Making Columbine jokes in Colorado 20 years ago would have had an identical reaction. It's asinine to suggest that people are so much more fragile than when they started the band.

ItsAndrew, Raku, David Parke and 2 others like this.
  7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This dude has serious issues and shouldn’t have a platform. It’s crazy they’re so popular because I feel like I’ve never met one person IRL who liked them.

8. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I couldn't even make it halfway through the article. What a POS.

9. Mikeydude91

Their music is good, but I have always thought Mike was a crazy person. I had friends who were at Emo's in 2010 and they were ready to kill him.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  10. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

What kind of backwards victim bullshit is this?

Brent likes this.
  11. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

"Punk rock" sucks.

Brent and zmtr like this.
  12. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

This guy is way, way punker than fuck.

13. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Being punk rock doesn't automatically give you freedom to be a c*nt or say whatever you want without recourse. I stopped listening to NOFX a long time ago due to Mike's personality, and it's stuff like this that makes my choice feel justified.

swboyd and Brent like this.
  14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

People always got offended - punk culture grew out of counter culture, which can only exist responding to people being offended. He's been offending people his entire career, intentionally, with glee, and it's revisionist history to pretend it's new for people to get offended by such callous, insensitive "jokes". Difference is, now when he says offensive things he's caught on camera, and that footage can travel fast, and reach everyone, and that's why backlash impacts people like him more today than in the past. He's just overly sensitive because it's hurt their popularity and ability to make money.

15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ya, I remember reading a study in grad school about how social media/media in general influences the view of public sensitivity these days (rather than sensitivity itself) simply because a story reaches more people and allows for a more public reaction, hence the reason why it seems like people are more sensitive in present day than in the past. Pretty self explanatory, but still interesting.

But yeah, the sensitivity and people getting offended has always been around.

(Some) People also just grow up and learn right from wrong haha.

St. Nate likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Fat Mike is a total POS and NOFX sucks anyways.

zmtr likes this.
  17. skoopy

Regular

Sensitivity this, sensitivity that. The only difference between Fat Mike and the washed up bar drunk down the street is the platform and smoke and mirrors punk attitude. You don't get to say mindless nonsense just because you believe the rules don't apply to you. There is nothing edgy about considering yourself above human decency. Comedy can work, punk can work, this doesn't and needs to be tossed aside.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s crazy that more people here are upset by what Melvin and Mike said then at the terrorist who shot up those music fans, or the gun manufacturers and retailers. I’m pretty sure there was story about how a few of the survivors died or were present a few months later in another mass shooting by another terrorist in California at a bar.

I realize that this is music site and all, but come on people. Why do we hold these guys to a higher standard then politicians. Hate Mike, and the guys in NOFX all you want. It’s not like you’ll be the first person.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Except the impact of a loud mouth musician is less impactful than a politician who does the exact same thing (and worse) and lives are forever altered as a result....yet one has yet to feel the consequences of their mistakes.

20. jorbjorb

7 rings

I read his book and I'm not surprised what was said here. The guys a lunatic. :(

21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

He is...but he is aware of it. And in the moments he forgets, lots of remind him.

jorbjorb likes this.
  22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I hate those people too. I can hate shitty politicians AND this shitty band.

Spenny, Joe4th, ItsAndrew and 10 others like this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

If you you do a little research and you still feel that way then it’s absolutely fair to feel that way. They are polarizing figures for sure.

24. Ah shit here we go again.gif

Joe4th likes this.
  25. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

This is what happens to you when you get old living on a steady diet of 2-dimensional cartoon punk rock.