Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fargo (FX) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by kbeef2, May 20, 2016.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

so excited to see where this season goes

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

damn, thought it was today hah

Kuri44 likes this.
  3. Kuri44

I wish, I feel like the wait has been foreverrrr

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

So ready. Won't be able to watch until Thursday though.

5. I can't believe this comes back tonight!!!

6. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

SO STOKED (to watch tomorrow night). This will be on the FXNOW app, yeah?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

McGregor is absolutely nailing this.

8. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes. You betcha

stayillogical likes this.
  9. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

How do they keep doing it? Nailed it, yet again.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Noah Hawley is a machine. How he pulled this AND Legion together at almost the same time is insane to think about. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

local_corn and RobbieBerns like this.
  11. Great premiere, as expected

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  12. Kuri44

I love it already, I'm so happy this is back

13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Fantastic premiere. Knew it would be. Had no clue Ewan McGregor would be playing two roles. Also, I :heart: Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

14. Anthony_

Anyone else notice how the Fargo backlash has already started to build? I honestly can't say I'm surprised, because nothing can be this universally praised for too long before the cool kids have to turn around and say it sucks now, but I really hoped Fargo of all shows was above that sort of pettiness. I was wrong.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  15. Night Channels

Trusted

huh

16. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Who the hell is dogging on this show? It's so good.

After that first episode, I can't wait to see how it's headed...

17. Anthony_ Apr 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2017)
    Anthony_

I've just seen a bunch of reviews basically setting the ground work for turning against the show this season. This review from The AV Club for example, which may seem positive at first based on the score, is basically like "I'm laying a foundation so that later on when I start giving mediocre reviews I can say I saw this coming from the start."

Meet the new Fargo, same as the old Fargo

Plus, it just seems like the writer doesn't get the show, or at least the concept of the show.

18. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I think everyone's just a bit cautious because the show wasn't necessarily doing anything new in this premiere. It's still beautiful and extremely well made, but this premiere was exactly the same as the first two premieres.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, procedural television does well for a reason. And I could watch top tier actors do these accents for 50 seasons. But it makes sense that people aren't going to scream "best show on tv!" from the rooftops until the show gives us a reason to.

19. Anthony_

Yeah, see, the problem with this is that that's Fargo. It's like I said about that reviewer above, it sounds like people might just not like the core concept of the series if that's their complaint. If it didn't start with a small town disrupted by an inept criminal's botched crime/seemingly random act of violence then it wouldn't fit into the Fargo world. It's where it goes from there that matters. I mean, seriously, I didn't see a single person say any of those things after the season 2 premiere, and that followed the formula just as much as the season one premiere and the film did. To me, it reads as cynical and dishonest. Could be just me though, I guess.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

You're absolutely right, and I think another big part of it is just how much good tv is on right now. With so much else to watch, it's harder to get excited about a premiere like this that's essentially the same thing we've already seen a few times. I also think the season 2 premiere was a lot more different, at least visually/stylistically, than this was, which helped to immediately set it apart from season 1. You're right, where it goes from this is much more important, but I think a little bit of cautiousness after this premiere is justified. We just have more faith than most people that the show is going somewhere interesting.

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Oh nice! I'm covering this and Better Call Saul. Also about to start a big Batman: The Animated Series run of articles. Really enjoying it so far.

24. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

I guess people can point to similarities between all three premiere episodes, if they want to be nit picky. It really just takes a quick look at how both previous seasons evolved and the paths they both went down how varied and brilliant they both were. At this point, Hawley has earned my trust, optimism, and maximum enthusiasm.

25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Oh nice, you been writing for them long? I was with them for 2 years but left in February because I started a new job that left me little time to write.