Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fargo (FX) TV Show • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by kbeef2, May 20, 2016.

1. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I don't think there is a single moment/piece of art on this planet that would throw me off if an Alien showed up.

2. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

the ufo actually showing up whipped ass and season 2 is perfect

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Aliens are cool, but it was pretty stupid at the end of the season for no reason

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Team alien/UFO all the way

5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I love alien shit. I wish there were more high quality invasion or abduction movies and shows, I feel like that’s a big chunk of horror movies that just aren’t happening anymore.

But them being used as a kinda ‘deus ex machina’ in Fargo just rubbed me the wrong way.

6. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

The aliens were all about heightening the absurdity of the violence taking place and it was absolutely the perfect way to end that season.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

My favorite scene in the whole show is when the Native American character(my bad I can’t remember his name) has that run in at the bar. Just such a poetic character.

8. Serenity Now

I'm not familiar with that term. Care to explain?

9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

“A plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and seemingly unlikely occurrence, typically so much as to seem contrived.”

It would be like if in that scene there was an earthquake or meteor that happened and “solved” everything like the UFO did.

Serenity Now likes this.
  10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I mean the UFO was teased all season. It didn’t come out of nowhere

11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Right, like I said before, I like it as a background thing while the main story is happening. I just thought it didn’t work as being shoved in there at the end.

12. Serenity Now

Watching S2 right now. They seemed to have worked an alien component into every episode. Forgot that one of Molly's kid drawings had a UFO.

Cameron and trevorshmevor like this.
  13. Pseudo!

Regular

If I remember correctly I think she drew a sun, and a coffee ring left by a mug made it look like a flying saucer. I think they literally showed a ufo observing the butcher in one of the first few episodes of that season, so it definitely didn't come out of nowhere. I loved every second of the ufo parts of that season, thought it was a nice parallel to the 'god is watching' throughline of the first season

14. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

how does the ufo showing up solve anything also? everything was pretty resolved up to that point the ufo was just the cherry on top no one saw coming lol

15. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

but it’s been a while since i saw s2 so maybe i’m not remembering correctly

16. IIRC the main protagonist was about to be killed when it suddenly showed up and stopped it from happening. Could be misremembering that though, and it wouldn’t bother me either way

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

If I remember correctly, it turned the tides in that parking lot shootout which is what annoyed me.

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The UFO was incredible

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

this is correct. It shows up and distracts one of the Gerhardts from killing Lou.

But the UFO is what kicked the whole story off (Rye gets distracted by the UFO which causes him to get run over by Peggy, kicking off the whole shitshow) and it wraps up the story as well by showing up at the end. And it's sprinkled in nearly every episode between. I think it's a pretty integral part of the season overall.

plus aliens are super tight and always welcome

20. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Hearing people talk about the season I honestly don’t remember anything.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. Yeah 100% I agree. It’s one of those things where I totally get both sides of the argument but it’s a lot more fun to just buy in and accept the alien interference for what it is.

One thing going a little overlooked too is how the entire event is alluded to even in season 1 as this crazy mysterious thing that no one even has the capacity to talk about. In a way, they’d been building up to that conclusion long before season 2 even started and if it had just been a wild shoot out I think a lot of people would have been severely disappointed that it wasn’t something more tremendous

I Am Mick likes this.
  22. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Serenity Now likes this.
  23. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

This, and I feel like it's thematically in line with a lot of the bizarre, otherworldly, unexplainable elements that shows up a lot in Coen Brothers films. Granted that Fargo itself isn't one of those films, but the series as a whole has woven in a lot of stuff from other films of theirs.

Kingjohn_654 and trevorshmevor like this.
  24. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

All three seasons are great and have very distinct vibes from each other that it’s hard to compare them. I get people thinking that S3 was slow/not a ton happened, but i feel like it had the strongest and most coherent themes.

25. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

The Wandering Jew was fantastic