Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fantasy Movie League Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Craig Ismaili, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Hey everyone, I play this game called Fantasy Movie League, which Matthew Berry of ESPN created. You get a budget to spend and you can pick out different movies to fill out a pretend cinema. It's sort of like Hollywood's version of Fantasy Football. The person whose cinema makes the most money at the weekend box office wins. I set up a league for Chorus.fm if anyone wants to try it out.

The second half of the Spring Season starts Friday at Noon EST. At that point, your screens lock for the weekend, and we see who makes the most money. It's completely free to play, the winner gets nothing but bragging rights, but if you want to play you just have to click below and use the password "absolutepunk"

Join Fantasy Movie League!

Also, if you win the week overall, you get like a 25 dollar fandango gift card, and they also have raffles for like T-shirts and stuff. I think it could be a fun thing to do as a community.

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

We've had 4 (including me) join in the first day. Not too bad. Would love to get this to grow over time.

3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I'll join.

I'm in several but missed a few weeks and stopped. When does the next session start?

edit: NM -- It's posted right there...

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Screens for our first week of competition lock tomorrow at 12 noon EST. Still time to join.

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I feel a little swindled seeing that Craig is the season leader for the whole site :sly:

6. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Don't know how late I am to the party but I joined.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Haha @ChaseTx I'm a ringer. You're right it's not exactly fair, but hey my luck will run out soon enough I'm sure.

@wordzanddreamz you're one week late but there's nothing wrong with signing up and playing weekly. The new season is starting up in just a few weeks anyway.

Also to anyone who joined last week, there is a 25 dollar gift card given out to the person who joined at midseason (AKA last week) and finishes first out of the week 7 starters, so keep playing hard, cause you could get a free movie date like I did which is nice.

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. Cgarnsay

Trusted

I was about to post about this. I will be joining the league! Been playing for four seasons now and it's a lot of fun

9. ChaseTx

I forgot to make my pics two weeks in a row :-/

10. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Craig, any advice for next week?

11. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I lost my lead in the second to last week last season. Made me sad.

Haven't seen the value yet for next week but I usually try to stay away from sequels so I'm going to have to really think hard before putting Conjuring or Now You See Me in my lineup. My suggestion would be to also not buy into the hype on what will probably be a big Warcraft Thursday night number, since I'm betting there will be a rush on Thursday night and it will fade (after bad reviews Saturday and Sunday)

Then again it's really difficult to say before the prices come out Monday night.

12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

One word of advice, never leave a blank screen, it has only paid off once in the 54 weeks of the game.

Also, use the comparator: Fantasy Movie League Comparator
    Plug in your own projections into that and it'll spit back out the lineup you should play based on the projections.

Cgarnsay likes this.
  13. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Yeah I never have a blank. Warcraft is all about pricing for me, if I could 8x then it's a lock, but very doubtful. I am making this season tough for you, been takingthe time and numbers

14. ChaseTx

I wanted to play The Conjuring 2. I'm sure it will top the weekend but not enough to justify the price. I also don't think Warcraft will do too well.

15. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Warcraft was too risky for me. I spent all week with it, then just decided to be safe. This week is a tough one

16. Cgarnsay

Trusted

Dory or Central Intelligence?

17. Does anyone still play this? Some friends and I just started a league, but I wouldn't mind getting a Chorus one going again.

18. Cgarnsay

Trusted

I do

Aaron Mook likes this.