Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fantasy Football 2019 • Page 6

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PeacefulOrca, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. SEANoftheDEAD Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2019)
    SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I usually don't go into drafts with any kind of set strategy in mind like zero RB or getting a TE early or anything. But this year if I draft towards the end of the first round, starting with two WRs might be the way to go.

My thinking:
    Based on ADP and most mock drafts, you can land two stud WRs - any of Julio, OBJ, JuJu, Hill, Thomas at the turn.

Then in the 3rd thru 5th rounds, you could still pick up any mix of Jones, Fournette, Freeman, Jacobs, Kerryon, Montgomery, Carson, etc.

Yes, everyone wants the stud RBs. But starting a draft with a lineup of Jones/Jacobs at RB and Julio/OBJ at WR could be killer.

Thoughts?

GrantCloud likes this.
  2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yep, I've been doing mocks that way and it seems like a good idea on paper! What is throwing me off when I do drafts from the end of the first round: if Gurley is there should I do it?

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  3. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

6th is early for Michael Thomas and I love Michael Thomas

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, all the mocks I do where I draft like that I end up loving my team. And maaaaan thats the struggle were all dealing with. I know if I pick towards the end of the first, I dont think I could pull the trigger on him. Just too many questions and risk. I know every player can get hurt at any time, but I prefer to avoid those situations in the first 2 rounds.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  5. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

this is insane

preppyak and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Be sure to snag Latavius. La la Latavius

7. preppyak

Elite Supporter

As someone who is locked in at pick #12....its a potential nigthmare for RB picks. I pray that a Conner or Chubb fall there to make the choice simpler...because the top 5 guys are all 100% gone by then, and you look at Bell (probably also gone...but coming off a year not playing on a dogshit team), Gurley (almost 100% certain to not see 20+ touches a game or play the full 16), or Mixon/Cook who are really 2nd round guys.

Every mock Ive done where I do the logical thing and take some combo of Julio/Thomas/OBJ works out horribly...I get Rashaad Penny as my RB2 or something. And every mock where I get a little lucky and take say a Conner/Mixon combo, it works out ok at WR, but I know Ill spend the whole year waiver claiming my way to reliable WRs. If I take a Thomas/Mixon type combo, it usually works out best...I dont feel the need to reach in the round 3-4 snake if one position has had a run on it.

Short answer is Id probably avoid Gurley unless he's the only one left of the top 10 RBs...in which case, Id take him over Cook...and over say an OBJ/Julio pairing.

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  8. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Need advice! The league I'm doing with classmates is drafting today because it works best for everyone and I'm choosing first. Suggestions for the pick? I'm gonna go RB but I'm not sure who to pick

Edit: We're doing 0.5 PPR

9. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Me and my buddy that Co manage in a big money league got dealt the 12th pick we are also probably going WR-WR there. Maybe if Connor or Bell are there we might go with one of them (though I’m not big on Bell), but otherwise coming away with a combo of like Julio/Hill and then grabbing a couple of mid tier RBs like Carson and Montgomery or etc in the 3rd-5th rounds is hard to pass up.

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s gotta be either Saquan or Kamara IMO....I might lean Kamara just because of the team circumstances but the volume for Saquan is going to be yuge

preppyak and morgantayler like this.
  11. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Yeah those were the two I was gravitating towards. I'm definitely not going to touch Zeke given that situation hasn't been resolved yet.

12. preppyak

Elite Supporter

I think any combo of Barkley/Kamara/CMC and you cant go wrong. Id probably go Barkley though.

morgantayler likes this.
  13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Taking 2 WR’s there can work out of you land one of these: Kerryon, Jones, Jacobs, Freeman in the third and maybe a Carson or Montgomery around the 4th/5th. But they go quick so it’s risky.

14. preppyak

Elite Supporter

Yeah, ive had mocks where I got Jacobs and Freeman or a similar "eh, they sort of are an RB2" kind of guys. Ive also had ones where its a real shit show.

One of the wrinkles in my league is that we dont have a TE position and instead have 2 flexes, so that also makes RB/WRs go a little faster. In a hypothetical mock, a guy like Kittle and Kelce fall way farther down in ADP that way.

15. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

The TE position is brutal. I’m not spending a 2nd rounder on Kelce or Ertz (Kittle is being kept), so I think I’m honestly gonna settle on like some crapshoot 8-12th round pick. If Njoku is there in the 6th-7th MAYBE.

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I wish Justice Hill would stop impressing before my draft. I would love to scoop him late, but I feel like he’s gonna start sliding up since my league is aggressive and a keeper league.

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Should I keep Julio for $58 in a PPR? His default auction value on yahoo is $50, the average he's going for is $52, and ESPN has him valued at $47...The top guys in our league always seem to go for more than their averages in our drafts. For example, last year Bell went for $71, Antonio for $68, Gurley for $67, etc. My buy of Julio for $52 last year was the 7th highest payment for a player in last years draft.

Trying to decide if I wanna risk throwing him back in the pool and going for more than that.

18. chcougar1

Trusted

Well it’s likely that Hopkins OR DJ will be there. For some reason I’m having a bad feeling about Hopkins this year (can he stay healthy?). Two or three years ago I took Hopkins with my first round pick and he didn’t produce like a first rounder that year. I’m probably overthinking it.

19. chcougar1

Trusted

He had like 115 receptions and a decent amount of tds. He is ppr gold. I know his ADP is closer to 10 but it’s him, Adams, and Hopkins/DJ likely to be there at 6

20. chcougar1

Trusted

I worry about durability with Julio these days.

David87 likes this.
  21. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

If a player who’s missed like literally 1 game in his NFL career gives you injury concerns, that’s a hard way to live when drafting lol.

Also, Hopkins two years ago had Osweiller as his QB. It would just probably be wise to focus on 2018 and the 2017 games with Watson when considering Hopkins. He’s an elite WR with an endless ceiling while Watson is throwing to him.

SEANoftheDEAD and preppyak like this.
  22. xbrokendownx

Lets Go. Prestigious

Hopkins is one of the more durable players in the league.

23. chcougar1

Trusted

That’s fair. I just know he was playing really banged up last year. Gotta shut it down at some point but maybe I’m being too cautious.

So if it’s between DJ and Hopkins at 6 who do people like? I feel like there’s way more depth at WR for later rounds but having an elite WR in ppr is obviously huge.

24. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

The tough part is at 6 both might not even be there. 1-3 is obvious (Barkley, CMC, Kamara) but if Zeke holds out Johnson will go 4 and then Hopkins could go 5 depending on your league. At THAT point ... it’s a very tough decision.

You’re looking then at Bell, Adams, Chubb, Conner, Gurley, Thomas, etc.

25. chcougar1

Trusted

Yeah. I’d take Thomas or Adams at that point.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.