Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (David Yates, November 16th, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Mar 13, 2018.

1. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

She's not in Lucas territory with all the inconsistencies and revision, but it's getting there.

Unfortunately a lot of the fanbase blindly follows whatever she says and will never admit that she just flat out made mistakes.

2. tvck

Trusted

Talk about throwing the whole kitchen sink in at the end. Left pretty confused but it was a nice movie to look at.

Aaron Mook and Connor like this.
  3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I’m almost certain Grindelwald was lying, or that Dumbledore’s sisters Obscurious attached itself to Credence and that is who Grindelwald is talking to.

I’m just annoyed with things like McGonagall. Her writing is usually so tight and i hate that a mistake like that slipped through. Things like that muddy up the canon so much

4. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

why was he teaching DADA instead of transfiguration lol

coleslawed likes this.
  5. dash64

This is my design

I feel like I'm in the minority that actually really enjoyed this, even more than the first one. Yes, some parts did feel like it was screaming fan service but I trust JK and don't want to be too critical until the series is complete.

6. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

i liked it more than the first but that’s more due to the first one being really bad

7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

To me, the stuff in the suitcase and all the creatures is BY FAR the least interesting part of these movies. I get it's the title and all, but it just bores me.

disambigujason likes this.
  8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

The big flaw of these movies to me, and perhaps I’m just missing stuff, is it just feels like fantastic beasts as a series only exists as a vehicle for the grindelwald storyline. I don’t see why newt and his friend exist in the grindelwald storyline and why they don’t just call it the crimes of grindelwald series.

Idk, I found both movies boring until the end (but certainly not bad), but I’m enough of a HP fan to see em regardless and just enjoy the worldbuilding and visuals.

also the g-wald speech felt way too close to a trump rally for comfort

9. midnightxtaylor

Regular

Wasn't that the point? That was my takeaway for why Queenie made the decision she did (and the other wizards for that matter), it feels similar to Trump's followers' justification.

10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

If Grindelwald is lying at the end of the movie, that’s arguably even lamer. It sucks to end your movie on a nonsensical twist, but it sucks even more to end your movie on a big fakeout that you’re just gonna double back on in the next one.

primavera and disambigujason like this.
  11. Davjs

Trusted

I really liked this movie a lot. It was so much darker than I thought it would be. I was worried about Johnny Depp since his recent track record, he did a great job too. I am excited for the rest, hopefully these do well enough where we get the full story since I think there are 5 planned total.

I said the same thing to my wife walking out the theater. I don't have an answer for that, but had the exact feelings and thoughts instantly haha.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

oh i agree its the point, I'm just saying it was very uncomfortable/genuinely frightening.

i do like the darker tone a lot (reminded me a bit of Rogue One), and I'm generally not very critical of movies at all so a vast majority of the time i leave a movie entertained and happy, and i did here. i wanna see it again and, while trying to overlook continuity errors, at least appreciate the storytelling they do get right because i was lost most of the time. i didn't wanna see the first one again.

Davjs likes this.
  13. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

My money is on him lying, for a couple of reasons. Earlier he mentions (to Vinda Rosier, I believe) that he wants Credence to side with him of his own accord. Telling him what he does is a very good way to accomplish that goal. I compare it to Kylo Ren telling Rey her parents are nobodies because it's the one thing he believes will get her to side with him (though, this parallel goes completely to the birds in the event it turns out he wasn't lying...). The other reason I don't think he's telling the truth is that there's absolutely no indication whatsoever in the first film that Grindelwald is aware of Credence's true identity, and he's spent the six months between the films imprisoned in New York. It's doubtful that he'd learn some incredibly secret knowledge about the Dumbledore family during that time.

I think the McGonagall thing was completely an oversight on Rowling's part. I hate to make another Star Wars parallel, but I think she got a little too concerned with sprinkling in connective tissue with the prior material, and neglected to reconcile everything in the film with the established canon.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It has plot holes and continuity errors, and it definitely feels like two disparate stories being shoehorned together, but I love that world so much I will never tire of going back. Unless she really screws things up in one of the other three installments.

PatRFinley and Davjs like this.
  14. Davjs

Trusted

As a pretty big fan of the movies and the books, I don't remember them ever stating McGonagall's age. I'm sure its listed somewhere, but I always thought they both looked old and around the same age in the movies. I just assumed they weren't too far off from each other and seeing her in the movie didn't raise any flags for me.

Aaron Mook and The Lucky Moose like this.
  15. Argus

There's an exchange between her and Umbridge in Order of the Phoenix (which takes place in 1995) where she mentions she's been teaching at Hogwarts for nearly 39 years.

Davjs likes this.
  16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Reluctantly checking this out tonight because I don’t want my A-List to go to waste this month haha. I enjoyed the first one a good amount...

17. SteveLikesMusic

Confused about a bunch of stuff but mostly enjoyed it. Well acted and looked great at least. Loved Jude Law.

Aaron Mook, The Lucky Moose and Davjs like this.
  18. Argus

I really liked him, too. I'm hoping the future installments will feature him a little bit more, as the story evolves.

I think the biggest issue it has is that it's trying to do too many things. The main characters from the first film all feel kind of tacked on here, even Newt. Not to mention Rowling's insistence on littering the film with allusions to the material that has come before. I think things like Dumbledore's boggart lesson and seeing him look in the Mirror of Eresid work, but Nagini and Flamel add nothing to the film and seem gratuitous. People don't need to be reminded this takes place in the same world as Harry Potter - Dumbledore's biography already outlines the story of he and Grindelwald. Ultimately, I think the film suffers (especially compared to the original Harry Potter films) because it's an original screenplay, and not an adaptation of a book. Rowling built an incredible world filled with great characters, and established screenwriters were able to pick and choose the beats that would work in film.

coleslawed, SteveLikesMusic and Davjs like this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Just watched it. I like it a lot, though I miss some of the levity the first one had. After all the fuss I have to say I also like Nagini, it makes me very curious about how she ended up where she ended up.

SpyKi and Davjs like this.
  20. SteveLikesMusic

Yep yep yep to all of this

Davjs likes this.
  21. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I do think that there’s a lot of stuff here that is interesting but not fleshed out enough (like Nagini and Aurelius’ relationship), which can be irritating. This really could use Star Wars-like background novels for every character.

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

yea i actually really like the nagini thing. if they were done cleanly id be all over more anthology type HP movies

23. Argus

I would also like more anthology films, as there are a ton of stories to tell. I wish they'd just left the first film as a standalone, and then made the whole Grindelwald/Dumbledore story a separate series.

My biggest problem with the Nagini thing is she doesn't really serve any purpose in this film, other than to give us that "hey, she's going to be Voldemort's snake later!" moment. Maybe they'll expand her role later, but right now she seems like an indulgence.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the time jump. According to established canon, Dumbledore finally defeats Grindelwald in 1945. They're 2/5 through the series, but only 6 months through the 18 years they must cover.

disambigujason and coleslawed like this.
  24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah Prof McGonagall started teaching at Hogwarts in the 50s. And it’s mentioned that Dumbledore was her Transfiguration teacher..... our Queen JK just messed up on this one.

25. Shakriel likes this.