Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fallout 4 Video Game • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Watching GoT right now and realized that Cersei is the type of player who would have blown Megaton the fuck up

Cameron and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

after a talk with @Anthony_ about this game ive decided to play through it again and im loving it. we were talking about the Fallout series and i mentioned that FO4 was my least favorite of the last 3 because of how shallow it is when it comes to the RPG side and how boring a lot of the quests are. Anthony was saying it was his second favorite game the year it was released and I thought hey ill play through it again, plus all the DLCs since i hadnt done them yet.

maybe its because im in a different frame of mind or maybe its because ive tempered my expectations but i am really enjoying my current playthrough, i just wrapped up my last one so now im doing a Railroad centered playthrough. the RPG stuff is still really shallow, I miss being able to put points into skills and then having those skills play a role in dialogue or quest interaction. the current perk system feels wrong, you kind of HAVE to go with the combat perks to keep up with the scaling enemies so its hard to take some of the more interesting or silly perks and theres just far less perks to pick from. the quests are generally boring or just downright bad, a lot of them sound like the devs put a bunch of cool one sentence ideas into a hat and then drew them out to make a quest. there are plot holes everywhere, Shaun makes no sense being who he is, realistically speaking (within the game world ofc) The Railroad shouldnt exist, and for fucks sake Bethesda 200 years is a lot longer than you think it is. also ghouls arent zombies, they need to eat, drink, and sleep so the plothole kid in the fridge is dumb. The Last Voyage Of The USSR, The Silver Shroud, and a couple other quests are fun and have some really cool moments or ideas but a lot of them just dont quite live up to the FO3/FONV quests. the dialogue system is pretty bad too, im not opposed to having a voiced protagonist but our dialogue is so limited and so.....purposefully misleading at times. i play with a mod installed that shows what your character is ACTUALLY going to say instead of the vague hints the game usually shows and its astonishing how poorly done this is. you cant say no to anything! you can either say "yes" "yes!" or "yes (sarcastic)".

Fallout 4 gets a lot right though. Combat is actually fun and doesnt require mods to feel good a la FO3/FONV. The AI is actually pretty good, the new realtime looting is fucking brilliant, and for a first crack at settlement building FO4 does a pretty good job with it. i really really like the setting of FO4, the "political climate" of The Institue being this shadowy boogeyman out in the wasteland and The Minutemen and The Railroad being the groups trying to bring the commonwealth together. im glad the Brotherhood Of Steel are portrayed how theyre supposed to be, a technology loving cult of power armor wearing jocks who have no real interest in helping people. i never really liked how they were in FO3 so this is a nice return. all of the factions new and old are really cool and pretty well done. i just love the world of the Fallout games. i love the idea of this alternate history where we never invented the microprocessor, the Cold War escalated into WWIII, and this 50s/60s pulp scifi nuclear family aesthetic just remained throughout as we decided to use radiation and nuclear energy to power everything. little details like Nuka Cola or how all of the trashed cars on the side of the road are very clearly inspired by Studebaker style vehicles and all of the posters and propaganda being slight alterations of our own real world WWII style posters, even Vault Boy is a cute little nod to mascots.

theres also a lot of little encounters and moments that make the game far better than the sum of its parts. once the Brotherhood show up and the commonwealth feels like a fucking warzone it really makes the game world feel alive. having the Automatron DLC also adds to this, i love just walking around and then hearing gunfire and laser shots only to stumble on a massive battle between BoS troops and raiders, then suddenly robots and supermutants join the fray. theres also just little mini moments that happen, they arent quests or marked on the map theyre just things that happen. theres a diner that has robots as servers, but because so much time has passed theyve short circuited and gone crazy. if you ask for coffee the robot will glitch and say that the coffee is "the finest coffee around, heated at 200,000,000,000 degrees" he then goes to make it and the whole area blows up from the intense heat. if you sit down at a booth one of them will float over to you and ask "how can we serve you today, charred, broiled, or mashed?" if youre observant youll notice the skeletons littering the place and realize they intend to serve YOU as the meal, then it becomes a firefight. stuff like that is cute, funny, and just engaging. theres also the crashed alien ship, a random encounter thats become a tradition in fallout games at this point, a guy that sells dogs but has a hard time giving them up because of how much he loves them saying "im blue for weeks after i sell one", you can stumble on a group of settles burying one of their friends, a raider trying to blow open a safe with explosives, a standoff between a synth and the person hes been sent to replace, all kinds of cool stuff like that.

sorry for the rambling post and pointless bump i just really really really love this series and ive fallen back in love with FO4 thanks to my good friend Anthony.

Anthony_ likes this.
  3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I love this game it gets too much hate

Anthony_ likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'm not crying, you're crying

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

i agree to an extent. if the writing, questing, and skill progression had been fleshed out better it would easily be the best thing Bethesda has ever made. it has its fair share of good/great things though

6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Funny enough me, and my friends were actually also talking about this game on Friday. I forgot how good the main quest is though. I totally forgot about that twist until we were talking about it.

Hate the infinite quest lines with the Minutemen though

7. CoffeeEyes17

I hate the main quest so much. It doesn’t really make any sense given what we’re told. Kellogg mentions Shaun as the reason they went to get Shaun as a baby and why the player character is “the backup”. So somehow Shaun exists to send Kellogg to get....himself. Then Shaun suddenly just starts dying from some vague sickness and gives you a synth Shaun. He, Father, has many diatribes about the synths being tools and likening defending them to defending a Nuka Cola machine. But suddenly he gives you a synth version of himself to raise? The beginning prewar part needed to be longer or at least more interesting. I didn’t really care about finding Shaun nor did I care when the partner NPC gets shot because why would I? There’s also the whole 200 years thing which is ludicrous and legitimately breaks the games world but that’s another story I guess. It seems like the best Bethesda could come up with was “hey what if we did Fallout 3 again but instead you’re the parent looking for your son!”

A way better twist, which DiMA hints at in Far Harbor, is that YOURE a synth. That would fix so many problems and make the first interaction with Father way more mindfucky. You’re a new breed of synth and the experiment is to see if a synth could feel emotion and attachment towards another being. When you meet Father, he’ll judge you based on your actions and determine whether or not you were a success. This can still lead to the normal endings we have although Father would never make a synth the Director of the institute, instead you can just be like his general or something mirroring the Minutemen. This could also lead to the Institute having big bases around the commonwealth you can loot and get special upgrades for yourself, thinking they’re just new tech when in reality they’re synth upgrade components. You can choose to rebel against Father and lead the other factions against him or somehow find peace between all 4 major factions.

Also fuck Bethesda for giving the male PC a soldier background and giving the woman PC a lawyer background. That’s just dumb.

Sorry Cam not trying to shit on your parade I’m just passionate about this. By all means discuss with me!

Cameron likes this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Lol honestly it’s been over 2 years since I’ve played it!!!! It ‘Twas my memory.

I stopped half way through the dlc where you’re looking for the missing girl. I liked the environment it was set in, and the new weapons/enemies. Maybe I’ll jump back in this weeeeeeek

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.