Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Mania 2018 Summer Tour Tour • Page 9

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Full Effect Ed, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Y'all, a LOT of normies under 20 see pre-hiatus Fall Out Boy as "metal" already. They get a negative reaction from a decent amount of "fans" who legitimately never listened to their pre-hiatus music, when they play songs like Saturday and Thriller.

Idk how anyone expected them bringing a legit hardcore/metalcore band onto the tour to do well.

ryanfears likes this.
  2. Mtlman1331

Trusted

Tbh I don’t think anyone really cared, fob hand picked the openers themselves, so I’m sure it was just bands they liked and wanted to give an opportunity to....hell maybe they just wanted to watch ETID a few times. They essentially are old friends. Honestly if it opens up like 25-50 people’s ears to a new kind of music and is a bridge then it probably serves its purpose. Screw the haters and close minded.

3. People were outright rude last night. A group of drunk women even kept like making fun of me for going off to ETID. It seems like it would be common sense to respect opening acts, even those you don’t like.

4. Bane

The spiciest meme

ETID is one of the best openers you could ask for, smh some people don't know how good they have it

riotspray and bachna84 like this.
  5. marceting

Trusted

Wait, what...

6. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Show tonight was solid

Seeing ETID in that setting was so cool and they did a great job. Bummed they cut Wanderlust

FOB was good but it was basically the exact same show as last year so nothing special

Disloyal and Lake Effect Kid were highlights

7. marceting

Trusted

Also, I rarely go to stadium shows but speaking with some younger girls sitting next to us it was evident they weren't huge FOB fans. They knew a handful of songs but bought tickets to see them anyways. Whenever I went to shows growing up I felt like everyone knew every last word of every B-side released from a band.

This is hugely strange to me but maybe it's more common in the generation younger?

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

The people next to me literally only knew Centuries and My Songs which was mind blowing. I figured they’d know Sugar at least

lindsaylove081 and marceting like this.
  9. Blink182Bouncer Sep 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2018)
    Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Girl:Y'know I like some rock bands. Like Fall Out Boy and Walk The Moon.
    Me: Cool
    *A few days later*
    Me:
    Plays "I Slept With Someone In FOB..."
    Girl: OMG, turn off that metal trash
    Me: Uh, I thought you said you liked Fall Out Boy?
    Girl: Yeah? So?
    Me: This is from their 2005 album "From Under The Cork Tree"
    Girl: You're kidding. *looks incredibly shocked*

I've also gotten shit from friends for playing Grand Theft Autumn and Sugar We're Going Down getting various genre descriptions such as "Country" "Hard Rock" "Emo Pop" and my personal favorite "Angst Rock"

Cgarnsay and GEM37 like this.
  10. People who listen almost exclusively to top 40 astound me

Cgarnsay likes this.
  11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm admittedly ignorant on the subject because the only Fall Out Boy songs I really know are the singles, but I've always kind of regarded them as a POP punk band. Even the singles from the first two albums point in that direction. Are the deeper cuts from the earlier records really that much heavier than the rest of their discography?

12. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

The Carpal Tunnel Of Love and I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy are the ones that come to mind.

joe.boy.fresh. and riotspray like this.
  13. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks.

14. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

To be fair they don't really exist anymore. Niche groups of pop and rap fans comprise a bigger portion of music fans than average pop-listemers, which is why the only recent "hits" I remember are God's Plan, Bad & Boujee, Lucid Dreams, The Middle and maybe 2 other songs. (Did Finesse by Bruno Mars ever get big?)

15. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I mean, there are still plenty of people who listen to music exclusively through curated playlists on Spotify or Apple, or even just Pandora, and who primarily relate to music as a way to set a mood or have as background noise.

Which, hey, is all well and good! It’s just not a relationship to music that I could ever imagine having.

marceting and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  16. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Felt bad, at Newark on Tue night entire top back half of the arena was curtained off which leads me to believe that, without a hit off Mania, this tour isn't selling particularly well.

17. heymattrick

Sending my love

First leg didn’t sell all that well either. It’s a strange world where Panic! and TOP (their openers 5 years ago) can sell out these arenas almost immediately at onsale but FOB is struggling to fill them by showtime. At the Cleveland show, the entire front two rows of my section were empty (so I moved up) and in Denver, they had 2/3 of the upper level curtained off as well. Really makes me sad because I’ve grown up with FOB.

18. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Think they're running into a similar issue that they were experiencing in late 2009. They'v been everywhere the past 5-6 years and coupled with an album that stiffed commercially, the demand isn't there.

19. heymattrick

Sending my love

I think the misstep here was the size of these arenas they've done on both US Mania legs. While they played arenas in the past, they never really did full max-size arena tours. They played a lot of outdoor sheds, mid-size/college arenas, and large theaters.

For comparison, here's a mix of FOB's shows in Denver that I've been to. I think Denver's a fair comparison market since they've always gotten healthy radio play here and have consistently sold out shows.

2006 (Black Clouds & Underdogs) - Magness Arena (~7,200)
    2007 (Honda Civic Tour) - Fiddler's Green Amp (17,000)
    2007 (Young Wild Things) - Magness Arena (7,200)
    2008 (special December Radio Show) - Ogden Theater (1,600)
    2009 (Believers Never Die Pt Deux) - Fillmore Auditorium (2 nights at 3,000)
    2013 (Save Rock and Roll 1) - Ogden Theater (1,600)
    2013 (Save Rock and Roll Arena) - 1st Bank Center (6,500)
    2014 (Monumentour) - Red Rocks (9,500)
    2015 (Boys of Zummer) - Fiddler's Green Amp (17,000)
    2017 (MANIA Tour) - Pepsi Center (18,000)

So while they've played the big outdoor amphitheater Fiddler's a few times which is closest to the Pepsi Center in capacity, they typically stuck towards the mid-size arenas here (Magness or 1st Bank) which was a great size. The Pepsi Center show wasn't empty by any means but you could tell how many empty spots there were.

The reserved seating setup also further reduces the number of tickets available, since there are fewer floor tickets available than with a GA floor.

20. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Last year's Mania tour stop in Tampa was the first time of 13 that they played an arena near me. It was pretty full, but I know the rest of the tour wasn't as hot. Hopefully they scale it back next time.

heymattrick likes this.
  21. Kelsey

Regular

grand rapids looks like it sold decently well. just spontaneously decided to go tonight. haven't seen fall out boy in years so i'm excited.

22. crash53456

Regular

Beartooth is playing the Columbus date. Weird.

23. Xpertguy5

Trusted

Beartooth is not as heavy as ETID but I bet people are still gonna complain about them opening

Cgarnsay likes this.
  24. heymattrick

Sending my love

Sheesh, if people *complain* about the opener, it means they were at least paying attention to the opener instead of just talking through them or not showing up at all!!

/s

25. Cmoney86

Trusted

I wonder how the wrigley show is selling as a whole. There’s still floor tixs available. And tixs almost everywhere. I thought with this being a home town show and rise against on it they would have sold a lot more tixs and it would be close to selling out