Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Is Sued for Overuse of Llama Puppets in Videos, Marketing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jonathan Stempel, writing at Reuters:

Fall Out Boy was sued on Friday by a stuffed animal company that accused the rock band of illegally exploiting the wearable, life-sized llama puppets it made for a music video by featuring them in other videos, a tour and an extended-play album.

In a complaint filed in Manhattan federal court, seeking damages its lawyer said could reach millions of dollars, Furry Puppet Studio Inc said Fall Out Boy did not have permission to use the puppets anywhere other than its 2017 video for its song “Young and Menace.”

Now that’s a title I never expected I’d write.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. Kuri44

@Clockwork lol wow, after having just made a comment about them last night

Clockwork likes this.
  3. Clockwork

Regular

Oh wow lmao. Maybe I’m Furry Puppet Studio Inc.

Kingjohn_654, Brent and Kuri44 like this.
  4. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I excepted this to be some ridiculous frivolous law suit based on the headline, but this is actually somewhat legit. If they agreed to use them for only one video and used them in many, it does make sense for them to have a beef.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  5. heymattrick

Sending my love

Got a picture with Frosty at the MANIA Experience the day of the Wrigley show.

6. DandonTRJ Mar 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 18, 2019)
    DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Here’s the full article for the non-lawyers in the back (because why would you ever have a Westlaw account?):

For those who don’t know Malofly, he’s a hot mess. Dude had over 100 objections sustained against him during the Led Zeppelin trial and was suspended from practicing law for a time over some truly stupid legal ethics violations (if I recall correctly, it involved tricking a witness on a case into giving him information by misrepresenting who he was). Not to say this claim has no merit — it could be an interesting indirect profits case — but I question the choice of counsel.

Also, focusing on/extrapolating from Llamania’a jokey legal disclaimer is super petty.

beachdude, Snoblin and Jason Tate like this.
  7. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

on first reading of the first sentence I thought this was going to be some PETA-level stuffed animals have rights too kinda bullshit

kelseyleigh and Brent like this.
  8. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

When it comes to Llama puppets it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

contra11mundum likes this.
  9. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

My llamas know what you did in the dark

10. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Our Lawyers Made Us Change The Look Of Our Llamas So We Wouldn't Get Sued

11. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Regardless, they’ll have no probllama paying a lawsuit, I’m sure

Kingjohn_654 and kelseyleigh like this.
  12. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Very happy to know Furry Puppet Studio Inc. is a thing that exists.

Essie, mercury and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  13. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

hahahaha omfg is this for real?

[​IMG]

14. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

You were the last good thing about this llama town.