Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Are Still Confounding Haters by Refusing to Be Pigeonholed • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 27, 2017.

1. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Give me Andy drumming in a hardcore band again and i'll be happy.

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

@CoffeeEyes17 there will be no more hot pocket if you can’t play nice

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Joe4th likes this.
  4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

There used to be a time when I resented bands who 'sold out,' because, a.) I didn't have any idea of what the financial realities of the world are, and b.) I found my identity both in the things I liked and didn't like, but most importantly, in fitting in with those who agreed with what I liked and didn't like, which meant the people who aren't like me enjoying what I enjoy was threatening.

That time was high school.

Related: I enjoy Fall Out Boy's music (more present than past), and hope they're successful. This would not have been true when I was in high school.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I don't really care for Pete Wentz being a successful musician.

Saephon likes this.
  6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

8. Saephon

Regular

I personally think Fall Out Boy gets an amount of slack that many other bands in this scene, who have followed similar changes in sound, do not. I really don't have much of an opinion on their music anymore (I stopped liking them a couple albums ago, but I don't think it's bad - just not for me.); but I will say that their fans defend them harder than most. Even Brand New can have people legitimately criticize Daisy without fists flying everywhere, but god forbid if someone says they don't like new FOB - that means they "just don't get it".

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

tbh I think people are generally fine with ppl who don't like new fob. Can't please everyone. But when the reasoning is silly and based in misguided notions of selling out or acting like they don't enjoy the music they play and are just cashing in ppl tend to take issue with that.

Jason Tate, fame, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  10. AshlandATeam

Trusted

You know, there's this massive, disrespectful, elitist attitude that comes from a lot of the Fall Out Boy criticism that goes something like this:

Rock music is artistically superior to pop music, to the point that any random punk-rock band, if they wanted, could 'sell out' and 'get huge' of they wanted.

The problem, though, with that thinking is that FOB isn't the only band to move towards the pop scene; they're just the most successful one. Look at say, Weezer - they've tried to be FOB like three times (including at this second), and they can't get it done. Linkin Park, AAR, about a million pop punk bands for their third album - rock bands doing pop is a cliche at this point, and FOB is the only band who's done this at this level.

It could just be that Fall Out Boy is just good, and that pop music is no less artistic than rock music, and that there's nothing inherently inferior to what this band has done the last couple records than what they were doing before. Just maybe.

And I'll be honest: I'm not even that big of a FOB fan. I really like the last two albums. I respect the crap out of them as musicians and songwriters. They're great at what they do, no matter how much their old fanbase wants to deny it.

Jason Tate and heymattrick like this.
  11. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

AB/AP was mostly duds, but SR&R was great, and Last of the Real Ones is one of my favorite FOB songs at this point. I would take FOB from FAD on over IOH and prior 10 times outta 10.

12. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I want to join another band just so I could sell out. Making a good amount of money, playing in arenas, having fame and not having a 9-5 job is worth way more to me than some random internet troll arguing over my "artistic integrity".

Mrplum5089 and heymattrick like this.