Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy Announce New Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 27, 2017.

1. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

It does annoy me that a lot of the people enjoying this are acting like they 'get' or understand something that everyone else doesn't. There's an odd sense of superiority there. It's clearly a divisive track, I'm sure FOB knows it and you know it too, so it should be easy to comprehend the distaste.

FTank, GEM37, lightning13 and 4 others like this.
  2. Junction183

Fair point but I can't recall a band that has changed their style this drastically. It's impossible to detach myself from the fact that I once loved this band.

3. bloodinthesand

Regular

That was a joke right?...Instead of all the computerized crap, they should have just put a huge chorus instead and it would have been good to go

atticusfinch likes this.
  4. That chorus is huge.

5. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

You're only upset because you don't get it.

BornToRun and Butinsmallsteps like this.
  6. bodkins

Trusted

Immediately thought of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" there.

7. Dieonstage675

Jason Tate=different,site same-old "I know everything better than everyone else mentality, and if someone has different opinion than me that someone is stupid". I thought I'll come back to commenting, but no thank you I dont need something that was pretty pathetic 15 years ago

8. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Hahaha maybe that's it

9. reesy

I'm sorry, but it stinks

10. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

I think we can agree that rock music has certain inherent qualities (just like any genre of music). Qualities shared by contemporary rock bands as well as Elvis and Queen. I'd find it much more difficult to say this track has anything resembling those qualities though. It's not a knock to the band, there's a lot of pop music I like. Just not this particular pop song.

cosmickid likes this.
  11. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

sup Cmar.

Dieonstage675 likes this.
  12. I also have absolutely no idea what I just listened to, but to be fair, I hated "American Beauty / American Psycho" the first time I heard it and it ended up being one of my favorite tracks on that album, so this will likely grow on me

13. Dieonstage675

parkerxcore likes this.
  14. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

I feel like there's a song in there somewhere...I just don't know where it is just yet...

earthlight likes this.
  15. I disagree completely that those qualities are not present here. Shifted, utilized differently, and more modern ... sure. But at one point what Queen was doing was "new" for what anyone considered rock as well.

SpyKi and scottlechowicz like this.
  16. Your two posts were stupid. Not my fault you made a really dumb post and followed it up with a bunch of typos.

hypernights. and Dieonstage675 like this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I thought a lot of AB/AP had a punk aesthetic and approach to the music, and this song is definitely the darkest and "heaviest" thing they've done since IOH.

Jason Tate and Butinsmallsteps like this.
  18. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Just feels too easy to say that any rock band transitioning to a more pop sound is still playing rock music just in a more "modern" fashion. At some point those lines blur and a band can just simply be playing a different genre of music. Also, rock music can progress in a million different ways that don't involve just becoming poppier.

19. It's easy to say because it's been historically correct, bands that were considered "hard rock" 40 years ago sound like bubblegum pop comparatively today. Rock music can progress in a million different ways, my argument is that this way is one of them.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  20. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Okay I've been listening to it on repeat for like 20 minutes and I've gotta say, it's like the weirdest thing since follie and I couldn't be happier about that.

Weird and crazy fall out boy is the BEST fall out boy.

I also love how the track is so poppy but feels oddly and awesomely heavy. Sweet drums too.

21. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I love music that challenges me and this definitely does that.

I love it.

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  22. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Having listened to this a few more times now I will concede there's more live drums (and interesting ones too!) on this than I initially thought, they just sound more like samples. But what do I know, I'm just a nerd.

23. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

It seems like we're not going to agree on this one, which is fine. I'm just curious what, in your opinion a band has to sound like before they're considered a pop band? Like obviously they are two separate genres separated by a number of traits. What would you consider to be an example of a rock band that fully embraced a pop sound if not Fall Out Boy?

24. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

As someone who isn't a fan of the band at all, definitely sounds better than the last album to me. But my god some of those lyrics are clangers.

Fun, big chorus.

@@ron likes this.
  25. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Not that FOB is anywhere near NIN but that poppy yet odd and heavy feel make for some really good NIN songs.