Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy About Half Done With New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Fall Out Boy talked with NME about their new album and how it’s about halfway complete so far:

Well, the album is not finished. We’re about halfway done. But songs like ‘Young And Menace’ are the furthest left, like you know – the wildest part of the album. The song will make sense on the album and the album is like – we’ve updated the software since the last album, so I think the album will sound different to people.

2. Reading Pete's interviews always gets me to respect the band and really understand what they're aiming for with each album cycle.

3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I feel the complete opposite lol

4. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Is it normal for artists to set a release date for something that isn't finished yet? I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been mixed or mastered yet but setting a release date with only half an album recorded seems... brave? Hopefully the songs are at least written.

Awksome and thedrudo like this.
  5. Fall Out Boy have always been a band that purposefully created albums, not just songs. I don't think anyone can have a fair opinion of FOB if they haven't sat through an album like FUTCT or Folie all the way through. And the way Pete has described "the album" over these past two cycles, and the way he talks about albums as cohesive wholes with polar lefts and polar rights, is really impressive to me. It has even helped me understand albums by other artists, as well as helped me craft my own hopefully-cohesive sets of music.

6. bodkins

Trusted

Nice. Sounds like it's gonna be a cool album to take in.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. Schooner

Trusted

I thought they were half done with that new single

8. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Are they not? The chorus is obviously a place holder. :eh:

Nah it's cool though, I like that I can go into a new FOB album and be surprised rather than a band like Rise Against that is just rehashing the same sound for years and years.

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The more I listen to the new song the less shocked I am by it and start to actually like it more haha.

parkerxcore and mark like this.
  10. Crisp X Apr 29, 2017
    (Last edited: May 1, 2017)
    Whether or not you like the new song, you're a fool if you disagree with the way the band has been conducting since their return. I'll say the same thing as for Paramore. It says a lot about both of them that every band they toured with back in the day broke up, or kept releasing the same generic shit over and over again only to disappear few years later. If you want to be good at your craft, you have to challenge yourself constantly. I'm not a fan of everything they released. To be honest, TTTY and American Psycho are bad. However, even at their worst, they know how to catch me off guard with some uncharted sounds, like all the styles they had the courage to pull off, tho the most entitled fans couldn't resist bashing them. Some things work on the new single, some don't. Whatever, who cares, it's not worth ranting again like I've already seen on Youtube or on their threads. Move on folks, drop the negativity and focus on other bands and artists that better suit your tastes. Fall Out Boy will continue without worrying about your opinions, deal with it.

skogsraet, cybele and parkerxcore like this.
  11. This long paragraph could apply to every single scene band that changed their sound afterwards. Especially Yellowcard, or New Found Glory though the latter disappointed so much once their returned to their pop punk sound.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol. I like the song but I gotta hand it to you, this is good.

13. Muzick

Hahah you win everything

Mr. Serotonin and Schooner like this.
  14. :fire::skull::fire::skull::fire::skull::fire::skull::fire::skull::fire::skull::fire::skull::fire:

15. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I agree.

For bands to keep evolving, they can't have a Kodak moment. They have to keep moving, keep evolving to draw in a larger audience.

For the record, I don't like the way Paramore have evolved, and I'm still warming to the new Fall Out Boy direction.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

It's very uncommon, but I think they did the same with Save Rock and Roll.

17. zmtr

Trusted

That new song was one of the worst things I've ever heard. God awful.

18. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I don't get announcing an album for 5 months out in the year 2017. People are going to forget about it by the time it comes out. 5 months is an eternity online

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I immediately thought the same thing when I read that. That just seems like a risky move and gives them a deadline to miss.

20. holy hyperbole

21. And AB/AP.

They release an early single to keep their name out there during in the middle. Seems to have worked out well for them.

22. it's not that uncommon, look at those pop, r'n'b and hip hop artists doing the same thing constantly. Tinashe for example released Player in October 2015, yet the album, Joyride, still isn't out, and I think that single isn't even part of it anymore. It's all about timing. I'm sure FOB know what they're doing, and once they start touring again (and probably release another single in early summer, just a guess), people will definitely remember that they have a new album coming out soon.

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Very uncommon in rock music tho, I guess yeah maybe. In Japan, they all release tons of singles months, even like one year before an album comes out, I wish more countries followed that model. Or the Kpop one, where it's basically "release a single, music video, album/EP all at once". Love that, it's like Christmas all over again each time lol

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

So if the record isn't completed yet, that means there's still time for "Young and Menace" to get scrapped, right?

25. jameson4111

I want a band to challenge themselves also but not by purposely changing their sound so they can be mainstream again. I don't listen to Paramore but Fall Out Boy to me at least just changed their sound to be relevant. And that kind of rubs me the wrong way.