Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy – “Ghostbusters (I’m Not Afraid)” • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2016.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Not good.

Raku likes this.
  2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I think it's worth noting that FOB has always been a pop band, even TTTYG is pretty much a pop record, so it's impossible for these guys to sell out. I'd argue they make some god-awful terrible worthless music, but selling-out ignores how huge they were 2005-2008.

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Wasn't necessarily talking just about songs

4. Haven't heard the song yet. Loved reading this thread though. I'll listen eventually.

5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This is really really bad. Not that I expected much from it or anything, but it was way below my already low expectations for sure.

Raku likes this.
  6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

"Cringe-worthy!"

Did you win? Haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

The whole idea of selling out is silly anyways. Bands want to make money, they need to. Also changing styles doesn't mean your "selling out"

Sure they have always been pop, but they basically shed any of the rock/punk influence. Which is fine, people seem to have been down with the change. Good for them being successful.

I used to think AFI "sold out". Then I realized these guys grew older, their tastes and influences changed so their music changed. They just happened to get more popular because of it. Good for them! Happy they can make a living doing what they love!

8. CMilliken

Trusted

This is pretty terrible.

Raku likes this.
  9. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

yeah this sucks. the original sucks too. suckfest. still love them and Patrick's voice can't get much better

10. ZeoVGM

Regular

I see you've continued making stupid posts on this site too.

beachdude42, Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  11. ZeoVGM

Regular

Was hoping for something a bit better than this. Not terrible though. Nothing I'd listen to often but this will work well during the credits of the movie. It's a popular band covering a theme song, people. Relax.

Though given the embarrassing hate the movie this is getting, it's not surprising to see it continue to this song. I mean, some of the comments on the video is just ... wow. "If you liked this video, you deserve to be in the next mass shooting."

Internet anonymity, everyone.

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Connor

The weird thing is this movie does not look terrible. I don't think it looks great, but there are worse looking movies out there.

The trailers for this were so much better than the ones for Warcraft. Those didn't get backlash or hate. This does cause people are randomly pissed the main cast are women. It stupidity and the comment sections on YouTube for anything related to it are just the absolute worst

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Speaking of AFI, that reminds me how it's always such a gamble when bands change styles, and I think it's exacerbated with anything on the alt side of punk or rock. In pop, if, say, Katy Perry wears the same outfit on different tours, it's at the very least weird. Maybe that's why the "scene" seems so stagnant. Kudos to bands like AFI and Fall Out Boy too for taking that leap. They kept their careers interesting for themselves as artists and made a pretty penny doing it.

The fact that they took that gamble in the first place should be proof enough they did it for themselves and not a dollar. Besides, you can only write so many TTTYGs. Fall Out Boy especially had to grow up at some point and I'm perfectly happy to think of this song (and even AB/AP as a whole) as growing pains. I'm still going to spin whatever they put out next.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Eh, I think artistic compromise for better sales is possible, so I think selling out is real, just definitely not what I'd use in this scenario.

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I actually agree with this. I definitely think some artists HAVE compromised their artistry to hitch on the bandwagon of whatever sound is big at the time or would make them more money... but for the most part I'd argue that isn't the case for FOB.

Carmensaopaulo and Penguin like this.
  16. ZeoVGM

Regular

Pretty much. The movie doesn't look great. But there are so many movies that everyone knows looks legitimately terrible that doesn't get this kind of hyperbolic hate.

And if it gets bad reviews, the people yelling sexist nonsense will claim, "See? We were right!"

Penguin, Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  17. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I would bet money that it will at least be better than Ghostbusters 2

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Jonathan Gunasingham

Newbie Prestigious

I think AFI, although arguably not selling out, would be the closest thing in my mind to the idea of selling out. I think a dramatic change in style, both musically and aesthetically, are usually signs of "selling out" although Jason does make the point that you really can't tell whether or not bands make those decisions based on monetary gain.

Green Day is also an example that comes to mind.

19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Even if they do make changes to make money, who gives a shit?

Green Day is 100% a band that's always written exactly what they want to, regardless of what anyone thinks of it.

fenway89 likes this.
  20. Connor

AFI did it so gradually, I mean they started incorporating pop influences during Art Of Drowning and just slowly added more each new album.

21. Jonathan Gunasingham

Newbie Prestigious

Completely agree. However, the question is if the changes are due to external pressure outside the band, as opposed to internal redirection.

22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Glad to see someone gets it! There are bands that literally say they do this, so it's very confusing that people say it isn't real or it's outdated.

Ghostbusters 2 is a great and worthy sequel.

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. Connor

It the people who act like these bands are bad guys for it that's the outdated and childish part.

FTank likes this.
  24. A band wanting to make money by selling their music being considered a negative thing is what is outdated. The idea that bands shouldn't think about, or try, to make money at their job is what is outdated.

Carmensaopaulo and fenway89 like this.
  25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Definitely. I understand disappointment, but taking it out on bands like they owe you is lol

fenway89 likes this.