Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Out Boy – “Ghostbusters (I’m Not Afraid)” • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 23, 2016.

1. I can't turn away from these posts. I didn't think anything would be more painful than this song today ... I was wrong. Yikes. I do like that it's being presented as fact that the band did this for money as the main motivation.

Aaron Mook and fenway89 like this.
  2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The thing for me is their songs no longer hit me personally like TTTYG, Cork Tree, or Infinity did. Almost all of those songs had substance in my opinion.

Even songs I actually enjoy like Light Em Up, Novacaine, Favorite Record, Twin Skeletons, The Mighty Fall, and Young Volcanos feel empty in comparison tobsongs like The (After) Life of the Party or The (Shipped) Gold Standard. It bums me out. I'm glad they're bigger than they ever have been but it feels cheap to me at the same time :tear:

tdlyon and Schooner like this.
  3. Sometimes I wanna quit this all and become an accountant now
    But I'm no good at math and besides the dollar is down

... might be the worst lyric in the band's discography ... if we're talking "cringeworthy parts."

Band moved on. Doesn't make them "sell outs" because you personally don't like it anymore. God damn.

4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Always thought this line was really funny, and made a really great contrast with songs like American Suitehearts, comparing the grandiose Hollywood life with something unglamorous and kinda pointless in a weak economy. Now the horseshoe crab line in that song...

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Song is bad, movie looks just as bad. Nothing to do with "selling out"... I just didn't find any enjoyment in that song or the trailers. If people can enjoy either more power to them. I'm sure FOB will still make good pop music going forward... every artist has a misfire or two.

Carmensaopaulo and Raku like this.
  6. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

This was okay to listen to once, but I won't search it out to hear it again.

7. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

everything surrounding this movie has just become an absolute monster. I have no intention of ever reading or hearing anything about it ever again, let alone watch the film itself. Feel bad for those 4 leads who will take the lion's share of the criticism...

beachdude42 and Raku like this.
  8. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Yikes.

Raku likes this.
  9. Schooner

Trusted

Well this sounded exactly like a expected it too. Just like Light em up/centuries.

Was praying for a glimmer of hope it might be fun like their older gear and surprise me like their King Louie jungle book cover did

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Geez, you're really not letting this go? I brought up my points and was done talking about that topic. Yeah, I think they went pop because Patrick wanted it and it would make them more successful. I don't even care in reality, I just find it funny to see a band I once appreciated make dogshit like this Ghostbusters studio jingle.

Now I am just talking about how their pop songs don't really hold any substance with me and reminiscing on songs that did. Also that lyric that you pointed out that so bad still beats most of their modern day lyrics. I love Gold Standard because its a great song first off (better than what they have released post Folie for the most part in my eyes) and its simple yet effective chorus still hits.

You can only blame your problems on my world for so long
    Before it all becomes the same old song

Much deeper than songs about how a girl moves like Uma Thurman or asking "where did the party go?".

Schooner likes this.
  11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This is on par with the cheese level of the last 2 FOB albums. I'm not sure what anyone else was thinking they would get.

Raku likes this.
  12. thelonelywheel

I like it! A little short, but whatever.
    Real stoked to see the movie too.

13. rst

Regular

Song sucks but that was kind of expected. FOB are a top 40 band, im not really sure what people are expecting from them at this point or what "sell out" even means anymore? I do know that if i could "sell out" and make shitty songs wile making millions i absolutely would.

But i do wish Patrick's solo career took off so he could do whatever the hell he wants. He is the talent and driving force of FOB and Pete is a huge douchebag. Maybe he could do both in the future.

14. You literally kept talking about it.
    This is factually incorrect.
    I know. That's why I said: Band moved on. Doesn't make them "sell outs" because you personally don't like it anymore. God damn.

You don't find substance in the music. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist for others. The band moved on, millions of people moved with them, you didn't. That's fine. But your assertions are not based in fact and you equate you not liking the band with the band wanting money. That's patently ridiculous.

No it, really, doesn't.

And there are songs equivalent to those singles on their previous albums as well.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I don't even care anymore. I disagree with things that you're saying but who cares. Enjoy your day :-)

16. Morkypep

band sucks now. Sellouts ;)

17. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

If someone is crying sell out and being mad about it, they dang well better be wearing a studded belt, living at home and still be 13 years old.

If you are outside of that description and still mad about a band "selling out" or whatever, time to grow the frick up!

18. Morkypep

I was just trolling wiht that comment. I just don't like the direction they've gone. I think they are making inferior music and that they are better than this. But that's just my opinion.

Schooner likes this.
  19. Jacob Davidson

Regular

LOL

20. Schooner

Trusted

Well said Matty. I agree with your thoughts on the FOBsters 100%
    It's their band they can do what the hell they like, but it makes me sad

21. warriorsam

I like the "I'm not afraid" part but not enough to listen to the rest of the song for.

22. DooDooBird

Trusted

This reminds me of the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon theme. They jacked up the original theme song and tried to make it edgier or something. Ugh.

Raku likes this.
  23. hoodrat

Regular

Yikes this is really bad.

Raku likes this.
  24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah the song itself is absolutely terrible. I really can't stand it at all. But if this is what FOB wants to put out and is happy with it, cool! I just won't listen to it.

I'm certainly not gonna get pissed or mad that FOB made a sucky song, or be mad at them for it. It's just weird that people let a band putting out a bad song get them so worked up.

Also good for them making money, I wish I could get paid to write a crappy theme song, I'd do it in a heartbeat! (Also they didn't need the money from this, they obviously did it cause they want to. FOB doesn't need to do things just for money anymore)

Jason Tate likes this.
  25. Schooner Jun 23, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 23, 2016)
    Schooner

Trusted