Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Fall Albums (Encore Episode 136) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this episode of Encore Jason and Thomas break down some of their favorite “fall albums.” What makes an album a fall album? Why did we pick what we did? And what other habits do we have when the weather gets cold? We also talk a little about Yellowcard’s final show, Laura Jane Grace’s upcoming book, and our usual shenanigans. We’d love to hear from you about what albums you listen to as the weather gets cold, so hit the little quote bubble on this post to jump to the forums and discuss!

Sponsor

No Nets: No Nets is a rock band from Brooklyn by way of The Bronx & Jersey, made up of a few grown-up-ish punk and emo kids – and a metalhead. It’s members are a of a group of best friends that have grown together personally and musically over the last few years, and their sophomore album “Bright Light” reflects that growth, exploring themes that bounce from topics like marriage, adulting, keeping your creative life while working that nine to five, and the painful reality that you might never be able to afford that fancy piece of New York real estate you always dreamed about. On this episode we play “Dark Matter.”

Hosts + More

Show Notes

Jason’s List

• Wolftron – Flesh & Fears
    • Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
    • JEW – Integrity Blues
    • The Stills – Logic Will Break Your Heart
    • Stars – In our Bedroom After the War
    • Bon Iver – 22, a Million
    • Sara Jarosz – Undercurrent
    • Olafur Arnalds – Island Songs
    • The National – Trouble Will Find Me
    • Copeland – Ixora
    Thomas’s List

• Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties – We Don’t Have Each Other
    • Dear & The Headlights – Small Steps, Heavy Hooves
    • The Gaslight Anthem – Handwritten
    • The Horrible Crowes – Elsie
    • Moving Mountains – Moving Mountains
    • Pentimento – Pentimento
    • Pinegrove – Cardinal
    • Polar Bear Club – Clash Battle Guilt Pride
    • Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
    • Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
    • The Weakerthans – Left & Leaving
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Fall albums: Redeemer, Illinoise, anything Early November. Very little mainstream. Heavier music. Chiller rap and ambient stuff. On a different note, interesting how artists will be reminded of different seasons than their listeners. Like Define the Great Line makes me think of nothing but summer, but Spencer loves how "wintry" that albums is.

SoundInTheSignals likes this.
  3. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Crazy to think Sean can still do those back flips.

CMilliken and ConArdist like this.
  4. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

5. SoundInTheSignals

ConArdist likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Yup, he rules. I'm assuming you like MCS. I was waiting the last two shows for Jesse two do crazy shit on the Moog, and I think he may have hopped like a bunny once. But he looked exhausted at Riot Fest this year. Remember this insanity? AHA! [​IMG]

7. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Oh, and Sean had cancer right? Along w/ another YC member, forget who? And Ryan's wife's issues. They've been in the shit. BTW, have you met Ryan Key? Simply said "Hi Ryan!" at Warped and he brushed right past me. He's not a dick, is he?

8. SoundInTheSignals

I've never met him so I can't comment. He seems okay in press interviews.

9. Michael Schmidt Oct 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 28, 2016)
    Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Need to listen to the episode, but Northstar's Pollyanna has been a go to fall album for me for a while.

slimfenix182 and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  10. robhoelscher

Fall album : Logh - North

11. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I was gonna revolt if there was no mention of Moving Mountain's S/T on the podcast, that's easily the best Fall album.

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  12. @Thomas Nassiff What's the difference between a fall and winter album? Other than louder, as you said.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I've never viewed albums seasonally and I've never noticed any seasonal patterns in my listening, so in my head, trying to make sense of this viewpoint, fall and winter end up being the same for me.

Also @Jason Tate I'm definitely much more of a color-oriented listener than seasonal. I pretty normally think of music in colors and can group songs/albums together as such. I think I blame The Dear Hunter for that, though.

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm so seasonal with my listening, ha. Looking forward to this discussion and thinking about my list.

TedSchmosby likes this.
  14. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Fall is really the only time I listen to blink's Neighborhoods. I heavily listen to The Devil and God this time of year. Definitely For All Of This and other Early November. Either Northstar album. La Dispute. Sing The Sorrow. I feel like Fall is when I get into my music the most.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Cool that @Jason Tate picked that Sarah Jarosz album. I didn't even know you'd listened to that, haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

WARM OCTOBER NIIIIIIIIIGHTSSSS!!! YOU CAME AND CUDDLED UP TO ME BABYYYYY YEAHHH YEAHH YEAHHH!!!!

17. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I had a really rough fall a few years back and fell back on Into It. Over It., Prawn, and You Blew It for a pick me up. They'll always be my fall bands because of it. I always dip into my nostalgia reserves for early morning karaoke commutes.

18. CaptainInsano

While I've never personally met him, I have read/heard that he can be a dick. Kinda bums me out cause he seems like he'd be cool.

19. Sal Mastrocola

Making Music in Gatto Black

Psyched to partner with you guys on such an awesome episode. Thanks for playing some No Nets.

My favorite fall albums tend to have the atmospheric or somber tinge as @Jason Tate mentioned – Low Level Owl by The Appleseed Cast is my #1 fall record. Rilo Kiley More Adventurous always gets revisited in the fall, as well as the entire DCFC catalogue.

St. Nate likes this.
  20. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't have a great explanation for it, but I find myself in the mood for more folksy or ambient music this time of year as the weather and leaves change. For a recent roadtrip I leaned on artists like Bon Iver, Admiral Fallow, Owl John, Junip, Sufjan, Dustin Kensrue, Foxing, Kevin Devine and so on.

21. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Yeah, and you think he'd be more free-spirited, he's been through so much with his wife and everything. Funny how we judge. The evil, satanic guy responsible for Columbine, Marilyn Manson was one of the kindest people I have ever met, just a couple months ago. He treated me like the rockstar. Humble, sweet man. Actually bowed. Then John Elway is considered the valiant, noble prince here in Denver. PUH-LEASE. Never met him(hate the Broncos, barf)he sued a band w/ 4,000 FB likes(Elway)and nearly everyone I've met who HAS met him says he is stuck up and a douche. But they still love him. Veered way off but I wanted to make that point. And John Elway lost that case ftr, cuz he's too stupid to realize his name isn't a trademark.

22. Jordache91

Newbie Prestigious

Billie Marten - Writing of Blues and Yellows

This album just came out recently, and it is a perfect album for fall its so hauntingly beautiful

23. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Foxing's Dealer has to be considered an autumn album- probably towards the later end of it, but man I can't think of anything about that album that doesn't feel like a late night listen when it's starting to get cold out. Also, not sure I'd say it about the whole album, but Shame and Shouting at The Rain off of The Dear Hunter's migrant just immediately make me picture leaves falling off of trees.

CMilliken likes this.
  24. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I always find myself digging out Minus the Bear albums this time of year.

ohitsjustrob and Jason Tate like this.
  25. CMilliken Oct 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 29, 2016)
    CMilliken

Trusted

My fall listening shifts to stuff like Keep You by Pianos Become The Teeth, Ixora by Copeland, and Aaron West. Calmer than what I usually listen to. The new Balance and Composure is really starting to click with me too.

Do release dates play a part in what we consider fall listening? I just noticed Ixora and Keep You came out in the fall of 2014 if I'm not mistaken. And do you think this is something most artist consider when releasing new music? YC is normally a summer sounding band but their new one comes off with more of a fall vibe to me.

Saw Yellowcard in SLC last night. Sold Out show to 3k+. YC was the band that got me into music and to pick up a guitar at 14. So for me it was a very bittersweet night. The setlist was great, though as Jason mentioned, there are songs from their new album that I wish I could have seen live but never will unfortunately. If you've been a fan of the band at any point definitely get to one of these shows. It was a blast. Definitely going to miss those guys.