Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facial Recognition Used at Taylor Swift Concert to Track Stalkers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Steve Knopper, writing at Rolling Stone:

Taylor Swift fans mesmerized by rehearsal clips on a kiosk at her May 18th Rose Bowl show were unaware of one crucial detail: A facial-recognition camera inside the display was taking their photos. The images were being transferred to a Nashville “command post,” where they were cross-referenced with a database of hundreds of the pop star’s known stalkers, according to Mike Downing, chief security officer of Oak View Group, an advisory board for concert venues including Madison Square Garden and the Forum in L.A. “Everybody who went by would stop and stare at it, and the software would start working,” says Downing, who attended the concert to witness a demo of the system as a guest of the company that manufactures the kiosks.

2. somethingwitty

Trusted

She has this many known stalkers? That's creepy. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just monitor her known stalkers instead of investing in this technology to stop maybe 6-7 people?

Raku likes this.
  3. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Hundreds? How awful. I would never leave my house. My large, gated house surrounded by many vicious dogs.

Snoblin, Raku and Jonathan like this.
  4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Even under the guise of stalkers (and I believe that's what they're using it for) this is problematic. But like RS says, it's here to stay.

Raku likes this.
  5. DearCory

Regular

Crazy, recent, story about one of her stalkers

...also halfway through the tour they turned her piano so she was looking straight out at the crowd. There was a lot of speculation that this was done because of the fear that someone could easily sneak up behind her while on stage (I believe this was just after the dude got on stage at Bey and Jay's show)

6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[Not a lawyer] I believe there may be privacy laws that protect those individuals. Since a Taylor Swift concert is a private event, they're able to do this legally. Also, it's only at one spot… it's not like they have cameras all over the venue monitoring.

Brent likes this.
  7. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Looked up that video, craziness. What must've been running through that person's head to make them think that was a good idea…

8. DearCory

Regular

I was actually at that show... it was such a weird experience. But apparently the dude was wasted... B+J didn't press any charges

Jonathan likes this.
  9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

That person should be thanking their lucky stars.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  10. Person Of Interest is becoming real I guess

Wharf Rat and Rob Hughes like this.
  11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Based on the surprise here, I think people might be underestimating how often this technology is in use - but just isn't publicized like this.

mercury and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Petit nain des Îles likes this.