Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook Loses Over $110 Billion in Market Value

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Todd Spangler, writing for Variety:

Shares of Facebook plunged more than 19% in early trading Thursday, as investors reacted to signs that the social-media giant’s user and revenue growth are significantly slowing down.

The stock drop, to its lowest levels in nearly three months, wiped out more than $110 billion in market capitalization for Facebook and dragged down other internet and tech stocks including Twitter and Snap. Facebook’s market cap was $629.6 billion at the close of market Wednesday, and stood at around $503 billion as of Thursday at 10:30 a.m. ET.

Ouch.

Raku likes this.
  2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

How can we donate?

Kingjohn_654 and backbynewyears like this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

venmo @jacob_koerner

I believe he is heading the financial front.

yeahrightdude likes this.
  4. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Fuck 'em.

coleslawed, studskalny, Raku and 5 others like this.
  5. don't fret

This is what happens when you only care about revenue and lose site of the mission. FB could easily not be around in the next 10 years.

Raku and Kennedy like this.
  6. I'll take that bet.

7. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I would love for it to die

8. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

I think the number I saw was roughly 4B connected people in the world and 2.5B Facebook users - if we rule out the under-13 crowd and under-connected, they've basically captured almost every possible person they could.

skogsraet, Jason Tate and BradBradley like this.
  9. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I think it will be around. Myspace is technically still around.

coleslawed, Raku and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  10. Ska Senanake

Trusted

They haven't really proactively hit the pet market yet.

11. prattsy

Regular

This is 'Ouch' (barely) for the short-term. It's a true buying opportunity for investors though. The runway for FB is still incredibly long. I will wait for dust to settle before taking a position (likely half)

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

I don't know anything about economics. Do the shares plunge because people sold a crap load of them due to the shitty Q2 report?
    upload_2018-7-26_16-28-52.png

13. Basically, yeah. The Q2 report showed very slow growth and revenue projections for the next year are down.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. Casanova Frankenstein

All the bankers sell their shares making money on their gains causing other investors and average peeps to sell. Then these crooks buy the stock when it bottoms out...rinse and repeat

coleslawed and jorbjorb like this.
  15. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I work in finance with fairly big public companies as clients, but I still can't fathom how large $100 billion is, let alone $630 billion.

Essie likes this.
  16. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Good.

17. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Deleted my facebook account 2+ years ago and don't miss it except I'm out of the loop on like engagement announcements and people's birthdays.

18. Loki

God of mischief

I hope it leads to something closer to MySpace coming back... more customization and personality for each individual user.

19. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I'd put money on that right now. It's pretty telling talking to people and the topic of social media comes up, how many of them say they A) Deleted their facebook because of lack of interest or the other commonality; its spiraled out of control. Or B) Someone who never had a facebook, which I think is another extremely telling, also generational sign.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. Follow up by asking how many have Instagram or WhatsApp ...

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  21. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Can you imagine creating something where after you lose over 100 billion dollars you still have over 500 billion left?

That being said I’ve been off Facebook for a year and don’t miss it in any way.

22. say_hello_to_good_times

Something to consider...Facebook is UP since Zuckerberg was on Capitol Hill...context is everything...

Twitter dropped 20% Friday, but is up 100% YoY...

Yes, precipitous drops are extremely negative and painful for investors, but we need long term context.