Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Mar 23, 2016.

1. It's interesting.

2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Still need to check this out but I'll probably just wait until it's released.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

There's a lot more noise on this. Not something I particularly mind, but this album wasn't what I was expecting when I went into an EITS album. "Tangle Formations" was my favorite upon first listen.

4. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i was underwhelmed after my first listen, but we'll see... ill give it a few weeks.

5. KBradley

the earth is not a cold dead place.

Spinning it on vinyl right now. Sounds like this is going to be a grower but I can already tell I'm going to love this.

6. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I was a bit worried after failing to really appreciate the 2 songs they put out ahead of the release. I'm starting to feel the excitement now though after seeing how well received it is by critics and people who've already got their hands in. Tomorrow should be a good day, especially with a new Mogwai album to enjoy!

7. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

It's not a bad record, but I personally find it (mostly) underwhelming. I might be one of the few that WANTS them to be the 'crescendocore' band their critics fault them for.

8. YoSoyCaitlin

Newbie Prestigious

Go see them play some of this songs live. That "noise" translates perfectly. Their Austin show was god damn beautiful!

9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

First few listens left me underwhelmed but I'll give it a lot more time.

10. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

The vinyl packaging for the album is some of the best I've ever seen.

Good album.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Take Care had the same jacket

12. johnnyferris

I've seen that Take Care at my local record store, but I don't own it. I now have Wilderness, The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place, and Those Who on vinyl.

13. KBradley

Vinyl is gorgeous. Love the packaging and love the blue.

Listening on headphones for the first time. Expecting to find a lot more nuance in the songs that I may have missed on first listen.

Toner likes this.
  14. phaynes1

Regular

Haven't been into them much lately but I need to check the new one out.

15. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

so excited for a first listen of this right now

16. KBradley

Yeah, this album is incredible.

17. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

It's dope. I just bought tickets to their Brooklyn date in September.

18. Brian Leonard

I'd like to see how all the programming elements translates to the live show from this album

19. KBradley

Seeing them in May for the first time, which I'm really stoked about.

20. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

The opener sets the stage so well. My spine was tingling the first time I heard it this morning. I love how it feels like totally uncharted territory for them and then right at the end that EITS trademark guitar tone comes in. It's like a little musical hug saying "Hey - it's still us, just different."

KBradley likes this.
  21. atranslantic

aka PeeDster

Love that Explosion in the Sky went a new direction. Proud of them, it's brave. That said, it's not really grabbing me 2 or 3 tracks aside.

22. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

"Tangle Formations," is my favorite song so far. I'm thinking about listening to the album while on a run. Might digest it better.

23. johnnyferris

A headphones listen did wonders for me. I think the album really picks up at track 3

KBradley likes this.
  24. KBradley

Agree on all fronts.

25. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Finally getting to check this out right now. First track is a little different, but has that classic EITS feel.