Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Every Member of Congress Who Took Money From the NRA and Tweeted ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ to... • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Linton9488

Regular

There is an EASY SOLUTION and it is proven to work. Enforce the same gun control measures as in Australia. Since the current gun laws were introduced in 1996 there has NOT BEEN ONE SINGLE MASSACRE in Australia. This is 22 years of proof that it works.

Your statement that there are more guns than people in America surely adds weight to the notion that guns are the problem - how do you use that as evidence that guns aren't the problem?

You say that evil people will find a way anyway. Well yes, so let's make it bloody hard for them if not impossible to kill. This further adds weight to the need for greater gun control measures not the other way around that you imply.

2. Linton9488

Regular

No doubt. In Australia we haven't had any massacres since 1996 after we introduced tough gun control laws.

BirdPerson, Aaron Mook and smowashere like this.
  3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

If we can’t get rid of all the old guns we should at least stop sales of any new ones, effective immediately

BirdPerson and littlejohn like this.
  4. littlejohn Feb 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 17, 2018)
    littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

I would recall all fully automatic weapons
    Stop selling and manufacture of semi autos
    No more private sales without background checks
    Every sale needs a background check and like at least 7-10 day waiting period
    Recall and stop sale/manufacture of bump stocks
    Strong buy back programs of all guns
    Mandatory training for all gun sales and gun registry maintained by federal government

For starters

BirdPerson likes this.
  5. Wharf Rat, mercury, Robk and 3 others like this.
  6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Just some random thoughts:

I hate how some avid gun owners (my brother and his heathen of NRA loving dudes) put so much conviction into the 2nd amendment, but when it comes to things like taking a knee for the anthem they completely forget the 1st amendment.

Why anyone needs a semi or automatic weapon has yet to be shown to me for any other reason than “it’s my right”, “I like to shoot”, or “it’s my hobby.” No one has yet to give me a reason that even remotely weighs more heavily than a kid’s fucking life. Your hobby is not worth more than that, you tool.

I don’t think guns need to be completely banished, however no single person needs more than a pistol or a hunting rifle. Those are not guns that are going to do mass amounts of damage in a short amount of time, and I do think in our violent culture people should be able to have home protection. Home protection is not a fucking AR. Why it is more work and restrictions to be able to drive a car than to get and own a gun is ridiculous.

I also think mental health plays a part, but is absolutely not the main cause. However, making mental health treatment less accessible while at the same time providing more lenient gun laws is obviously not the right answer and makes the NRA funded politicians’ “prayers and thoughts” even more repulsive.

And if you don’t think guns are the problem, you’re delusional.

7. Linton9488

Regular

Now there's the perspective US law makers seem to lack. It's time for change. Surely we are at a tipping point now.

jorbjorb, fenway89 and tyramail like this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

i thought this after Sandy Hook
    something died with our country that day

10. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

If I could destroy every gun in this country I would. Fuck people's dumbass hobby of shooting murder sticks to feel powerful as well as everyone who profits from selling them.

Max_123, littlejohn, fenway89 and 3 others like this.
  11. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Just heard someone use the knife attack in China today as an excuse to not do anything here. “They banned guns and look what happened”

I am sick of people and their twisted hobby

12. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Even if it wouldn’t completely eradicate shootings, why in the fuck would you not at least want to try other than your own selfish and twisted morbidity of putting your hobby before others? Honestly, the “it will still happen” argument is so stupid. You really don’t think if you could get cocaine readily at the store that it’s usage wouldn’t increase at all?

Another gross thing is how much companies and politicians profit off of guns that hinders them from doing anything about gun safety. Seriously disgusting shit.

Linton9488 and fenway89 like this.
  13. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Please re-read your original post. You did not say or infer this anywhere.
    It was obvious. Not sure how anyone could view it any other way. And it's absolutely true. It's like Philip Morris saying that they're sad when kids get sick from second-hand smoke.
    It's nice to see that the media has mostly given up its crusade against music and violent video games as "causes" of school shootings, but every once in a while, you still see an outlet try to strike up that argument. Ironically, I think these kinds of things more often placate people than they do incite them. I know music is a big source of leveling me out when I'm feeling extreme emotions in one particular direction.

Raku likes this.
  14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I completely agree. I don't understand the argument of "murderers will find another way to murder." That may be the case, but it's sure as hell a lot harder to murder lots of people with a knife. And regardless, that doesn't detract from the fact that you should still be targeting the #1 source of murder. In 2016, 10,182 people in the USA were killed by gun of the 15,070 total murders that year. So 2/3 of the murders were by gun. I'd say there's an obvious solution there. [Source]

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Wow. It only took 1 reply to hear a viewpoint that a large portion of the population believes? Much shock.

3pointer likes this.
  16. Philll

Trusted

I mean, no matter how people hold those beliefs, it IS shocking to see people so quickly deflect from the murder of children. Instead of accepting those positions we need to make people feel utterly uncomfortable for holding them.

Fuck rationalising these people away, it's sickening to see complacency as the norm in these situations.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Took one reply for a view point that contributes to the problem. Don't care how many people have the same view

FTank, Aaron Mook, littlejohn and 3 others like this.
  18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Exactly. People who use that "good guy" argument are pretty much only self-proclaiming themselves as being one.

Raku, Linton9488 and fenway89 like this.
  19. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Believe is the key word here.

20. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Good luck living in a constant bubble of anger then when your first response to a widely held view is sarcasm and belittlement with no substance.

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Are you familiar with the word irony?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I completely engaged them for the entirety of the thread get out of here with your respectability bullshit, you're adding less than anyone else

Aaron Mook, Robk, littlejohn and 2 others like this.
  23. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

You aren’t adding anything to the conversation.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Yes. If you are implying that my reply is ironic, I disagree. You are not going to convince a large part of the population to change their view with snark and I think pointing out that flawed approach, is neither belittling or lacking in substance.

I will never in my life own a gun, and I have dissociated myself with those that collect weapons as a hobby, and those that believe in teaching their kids gun safety is putting a rifle in their hands at a young age as I think it feeds into a toxic culture. I refuse though to paint one side as uneducated and wrong and respond with sarcasm to their arguments for the status quo. If this honestly was a case of right and wrong, black and white, we'd have sensible gun control tomorrow. I grew up in Europe and cannot understand a single American reason for civilian weapon ownership whether it's protection, hunting or a civic duty to be part of a militia in case of tyranny, but I've come to accept I now live in a country where a large amount of people believe strongly in 1 of those reasons. I am willing to engage and find flaws in their arguments.

There's a reason conservatives are so stubborn and angry. It really does enrage me how belittling people can be in their arguments when there's a plethora of facts to present.

25. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I agree it's an example that gun control can work, but the Australian culture and history is completely different to that of America. While I don't blame video games and media, I think there is a larger obsession with guns and violence in 2018 America than there was in 1996 Australia. We also have the issue of it being a constitutional right whereas in Australia (and most places in the world) there is no such thing as a right provided by the founding fathers that are unquestionable and unshakable. The law change, along with their culture, allowed it to work in Australia. People had no deep claim to their weapons like Americans do.