Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Every Member of Congress Who Took Money From the NRA and Tweeted ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ to... • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I definitely will not ignore the mental health aspect of it. I agree it is a factor in this. Bullying and heckling others can lead to victims wanting revenge and taking it out in this horrendous way (Columbine as example). I read a book (fiction) on this called Nineteen Minutes and is certainly eye-opening. BUT:

Where I heavily disagree is saying mental health is THE reason why this is happening. It IS a gun problem. It should not be this easy to access weapons that cause mass damage. That needs to be addressed as an entire country.

The 2nd Amendment was written in a significantly different period of time. And with muskets. The people who wrote it believed African Americans were 3/5’s a person and that women hardly mattered. We shouldn’t take 100% of the laws they wrote at face value anymore. It’s time for change.

Max_123, Raku, Aaron Mook and 8 others like this.
  2. Lucas27

Trusted

Random thoughts. I wouldn't bet my life on all of these opinions, but this is where I'm at right now:

Guns should absolutely not be taken from the hands of good people, but bad people should absolutely not have the easy access to guns that they do.

Screw semi-automatic weapons. Who needs that mess?

The NRA is absolutely benefiting from looser gun laws, which is sick, and the government is doing nothing to hold the NRA accountable, which is terrifying.

The government should make the tightening of school security mandatory and faculty (esp. teachers) should be allowed to keep precautionary firearms if they choose to. I hate that it's come to that, but tightening gun laws and screening gun buyers would be preventative in that being an additional danger.

As a Christian, I absolutely believe in the power of prayer. I absolutely do not believe in "thoughts and prayers" as a means of deflection.

I echo what the above poster says about mental health and the 2nd amendment.

This entire scenario has me so worked up. Somebody do something.

Victor Eremita and smowashere like this.
  3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

we should not be putting guns in the schools, that just puts weapons in the vicinity of children for no reason. the good guy with a gun narrative is a myth. this school in florida had armed officers. they couldnt stop this from happening.

4. Philll

Trusted

See from a foreign perspective, this is something I struggle to get my head round. Why shouldn't guns, all guns, be taken from "good people"? I simply don't see why anyone should need one, even a basic handgun. And where do we start drawing the line between the good people and the bad people?

I get that for some people shooting is a hobby, but at this point can't we ask people to find a different hobby for the sake of public safety?

5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I think trying to decipher the line between a “good” and “bad” guy got us into this mess.

Raku, Aaron Mook, Linton9488 and 4 others like this.
  6. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck your guns!

littlejohn likes this.
  7. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

can confirm, live in a state with legal marijuana
    all items must be sold in a child-proof container and if it's more than one "serving" it MUST be resealable as well. must leave store in an opaque bag also. packaging of the item itself and the bags/containers must not appeal to children in any way. serving sizes for edibles are limited to 10 mg per serving and 100 mg per package

like right there are already huge limits that guns dont have lmao

Raku, Aaron Mook, fenway89 and 3 others like this.
  8. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

When do we find out a good guy with a gun is actually a bad guy? Is it not till he starts shooting people? Cause by then it may be too late.

Raku, Aaron Mook, Linton9488 and 3 others like this.
  9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

belligerent over nothing

when we are talking about dead children

this is why you don't get it

Raku, Larry David, Aaron Mook and 4 others like this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

apparently as long as theyre shooting the right people theyre a good guy

11. BirdPerson Feb 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 17, 2018)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

my question(s) about the good guy/bad guy thing is...when they kill themselves, which happens very very often...do they become the good guy with the gun?

who was the good guy with the gun in this shooting, who apprehended him well after he was done with all his bad guy guns?

Raku, littlejohn and sophos34 like this.
  12. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Who are the right people?

Criminals? Does that mean murderers? Jaywalkers? Thieves? Should Alladin have been shot for stealing bread?

Way too many questions for us all to just accept that good guys should have guns. Because “good guy” is relative and undefinable.

13. Philll

Trusted

Not to mention the fact that the good guy is always responding to the bad guy - the bad guy always shoots first.

Raku, Aaron Mook and BirdPerson like this.
  14. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

there was a bad guy with a gun in a costco recently, and all the good guys with guns did is make it harder for police to figure out who they wanted on the security footage

Raku, Aaron Mook, Linton9488 and 3 others like this.
  15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

The NRA is a terrorist organization.

16. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

guns have caused an entire nation to be scared and paranoid at all times, the last thing we need is more guns in the hands of scared and terrified people, because it'll just lead to more police shootings because they're the most afraid of everyone

Raku, Youarcade, Aaron Mook and 4 others like this.
  17. Lucas27

Trusted

"Good" vs. "bad" is a shallow distinction. Was just typing thoughts as they come. In general, I absolutely agree that more guns would contribute to a culture of fear and paranoia.

18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I work at a school and the thought of bringing guns into school is so wild and ridiculous it blows my mind every time I see it suggested.

19. littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

I will not put my kids in a school where their math teacher has a gun in their desk. Won't happen.
    Fucking ridiculous proposal.

My wife was a teacher for years and thats a terrible idea.

Raku, mercury, scottlechowicz and 5 others like this.
  20. Lucas27

Trusted

Noted. Here to learn.

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I work with young kids with lots of restraining orders and homes with domestic violence so the threat is more the adults. But I would never feel comfortable having a gun in the classroom. Imagine if a kid got hold of it. Omg. There'd have to be so many precautions put in place that u probably couldn't even access the gun when u "needed" it

Raku, mercury, Aaron Mook and 6 others like this.
  22. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Emma Gonzalez is going to go very far in this life. It breaks my heart that this is how she had to make a debut.

23. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Thank you. I’m so sick of this bull shit about mental health. Every country has citizens suffering from mental health, yet we are the only country with school kids being murdered on the regular. Like sure, we need to be better about stigmatizing mental health... but to use that to blame this stuff on instead of guns is preposterous. Imagine caring more about a hobby than human life

24. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

any response other than "we should be doing anything to prevent this from happening" is unacceptable. I have friends that have lost people to school shootings. I was attending UCSB when the shooting there happened. This is so common and it's just fucking absurd.

25. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

They literally banned original four loko after like 1 college kid died.

swboyd, BirdPerson, mercury and 4 others like this.