Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Event Horizon Telescope Captures First-Ever Black Hole Image

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Washington Post:

The image was produced by the Event Horizon Telescope, a network of 10 radio telescopes spread across the planet and functioning as if it were a single receiver, one tuned to high-frequency radio waves. It represents a technical triumph for the scientists involved, and inaugurates a new era in the study of black holes, galaxy formation, and the laws of physics under extreme conditions.

The M87 black hole appears as a dark shadow within a doughnut-like ring of hot, glowing material.

I thought this video about the black hole was fantastic.

44DeLonge likes this.
  2. bestofmoss

Regular

space rules

44DeLonge likes this.
  3. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

I misread that as Vertical Horizon and thought, "Is this was the band does now?"

Essie likes this.
  4. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Looks like the cover of Orgy’s Candyass album

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  5. GreyWall

Pretty awesome. Also reminds me when i watched Event Horizon when i was like 12 and it scared the shit out of me. Really wish they didn´t lose all the footage for the original cut of that movie.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Looks like a blurry chocolate glazed donut to me. Still really cool though!