Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Evan Weiss Issues Statement on Manager • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 4, 2017.

1. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I mean, if anyone has to actually apologize for sexual misconduct, haven't they failed already?

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

You sir, just passed the SATs

3. Addressing the main one - which is the part where he enabled abuse towards and threatened the livelihood of someone who came to him saying they'd been abused - would be a good start, yes.

Vague apologies for ~anything I might have done~ implies that he doesn't know what he did. Explicit accusations were made, and he chose not to address them in a forum where they could be refuted by the other human who knows what he did - Hilary. If he wants to pretend otherwise, that's his party - but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend it was even remotely good enough.

Also: I've had "friends" like Evan who chose to protect my abuser at my expense, and this statement sounds just like what they'd say if they were this eloquent. These situations tend to play out in similar ways - you don't have to have been victimized by a particular person in order to recognize what's in front of you when you've lived it before. It's a safe bet that there are a lot more survivors in here than this statement implies that you believe.

4. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I agreed with what you said, but you're implying I doubt survivors and that is what you got out of my post?

5. No, I'm explicitly saying you don't seem to believe there are many survivors in this thread based on the following quote:

"we, as non-victims and without fully understanding the way this feels for victims of abuse and misconduct, sit in threads each throwing insults and degrading people."

I said nothing about believing survivors. I was letting you know that we're right here, so referring to us in a blanket statement as non-victims is incorrect.

6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I do believe there are some in here that vocalize some intense opinions in more than just this thread that sometimes I don't enjoy reading, nor can I imagine how those who have suffered from misconduct/abuse feel reading them.

7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

yet again, people are in here hoping that their favorite band dude wasn't involved in an instance of harassment/abuse rather than being upset that a human was harassed/abused. it's fucking gross and transparent.

fame, dylan, bradpetrik and 4 others like this.
  8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

It feels like every time it happens there are hordes of "Devil's advocates" who all think they're clever (or worse, fighting the "good fight") for some reason.

electro haikus likes this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

but he let it happen once...

dylan and cwhit like this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you know why public apologies are never good enough? because they fucking aren't. go apologize in private. right your fucking wrongs. fix yourself. dont beg your fans to pity you and have them believe you're a good person. go become a better person and do the right thing. fuck your PR parade. get a fucking reality check

me @ every band dude who has posted a shitty apology

ship90, Aaron Mook, mercury and 2 others like this.
  11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Wow, I hope that's not the way my message was perceived.

12. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

A good amount of them probably believe misandry is a legitimate issue, too.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  13. DillonHigh

I would say you are the one of two of the least likable posters in this thread, so yeah, it was not perceived well at all.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  14. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

ok.

15. personalmaps Dec 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 5, 2017)
    personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

If I may step in- I don’t know Evan very well personally, but we have enough mutual friends that I have a pretty good idea of him as a person. The reason I continued to be a fan of his band was because I thought he was just kind of a dick in the “I’m a serious and popular artist” way. That kind of thing, I can let go. What I can’t let go is that Evan is massively popular, especially in this scene. He had nothing to lose by stepping up to the plate here. He has every privilege in this scene- indie cred, record label cred, social cred, etc. instead, he threw someone he claims is a dear friend under the bus to avoid rocking the boat. Because when it comes down to it, all these guys are more concerned with the status quo that keeps them rich in social currency than they are with helping and protecting their friends.

I cannot, for one second, imagine ANYONE, friend or employee, coming to me with this story and brushing it off. The fact that he can just say he misinterpreted it when his inaction led to what sounds like the demise of Hilary’s promising career. I’ve been in this situation before, where a man I trusted and cared for asked me to be quiet in regards to problems in our music scene. Nothing has ever made me feel so small and so worthless. It makes you feel like everyone is only on your side till they don’t think it’s cute anymore.

It’s not a question to me whether to keep supporting Evan or not. He’s the same as every other guy that’s stopped women from thriving in this scene. The fact that he’s telling different stories in private only solidifies for me that this is about saving face before it hurts his bottom line.

Hilary, again, I’m so sorry that this happened to you. Your photography is great and I am sure you’re a great TM too. Please know that there is a community that has your back. I’m never going to be quiet about this stuff and I’m glad you felt like you could share your story. Thank you for being brave.

16. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I may PM you to share stories and see just how much they overlap. My opinion of him once I learned things is that he’s a piece of shit and shouldn’t be idolized.

17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Feel free. I worked in that area of the music scene for a few years and I’m sure we have many similar stories, haha.

18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Thank you for sharing your story. No one should be treated in this way. I'm sorry that he has twisted what you have said and I'm also sorry people who don't know you or the situation have tried to discredit you. Please know that there are people who believe you and are standing with you. Thank you for your bravery and courage.

danceparty likes this.
  19. TearsofaClone

For anyone who has emailed Evan privately, please be aware.

Aaron Mook and bradpetrik like this.
  20. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I highly recommend reading the rest of her responses to him.

Evan is a shitbag.

TearsofaClone likes this.
  21. TearsofaClone

Yeah i saw the additional tweets after i shared it. all very important. If you are still on the fence for any reason, I implore you to re-read everything available (Hilary's statement, Chase's (lack of an) apology, Evan's statement, etc) and understand how Chase and Evan are still ignoring Hilary's statement and continuing to deny and downplay everything.

bradpetrik likes this.
  22. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't disagree, but I think that's also a product of the fact vague public apologies cast out into the internet are meaningless and inherently impersonal. The apologies that matter are to the actual victims, and these public ones don't (and shouldn't) serve to satisfy that. As a result, I think these will always feel ungratifyingly disingenuous.