Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

One of my 2016 favs so far. Came out 3/4/16

[​IMG]

1. Good Lava
    2. Unconditional Love
    3. Judas
    4. Earth to Heaven
    5. One
    6. Rest in Pleasure
    7. Ebony and Ivy
    8. Noble Nobles
    9. Farewell Dolly
    10. Elevate or Operate
    11. Funk the Fear
    12. I Want It Now

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Bought this yesterday. God, she's an exciting artist.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Still have to spend more time with this. It's a very exploratory record though. I love seeing artists who are already top notch try and stretch themselves and break past their limits. And even more than that, I love when they do it successfully.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I am listening to it now. I still lose it when Unconditional Love kicks in.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

i was talking to ben about hwo this kind of loses me in the couple of tracks right before "elevator or operate"

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Ebony and Ivy is in my top 3 on here but I do kinda get lost in that stretch between Noble Nobles and Elevate or Operate.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

This is pretty much exactly what I said haha.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

First 7 is probably a perfect stretch and I find something new to like about something there every time I listen.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  9. Wharf Rat

10. Wharf Rat

Lol that interview is so great.

Pitchfork: When you perform at places like the White House, where you just played “Sunny Side of the Street,” do you feel like you are representing jazz to the nation?

ES: I shouldn't be. With all the motherfuckers who are still alive today who are the essence of that music, it's bullshit if I am representing jazz. But that's what popular culture will do for you—it will fucking change the narrative and tell you something is that is not.

Pitchfork: Joni Mitchell is a clear vocal influence on this album. What do you like about her?

ES: She's so hardcore. It's weird being a pretty woman doing something real now, but for her 50 years ago... I've seen videos of her performing where you can tell the guys are so uncomfortable. They can't even smile right because they don't know what to do because she's singing, writing, and producing them under the table. And it's not just about her voice. It’s the whole thing. It's the sensory experience of the poetry, of the sound, of the harmonies. Whether my brain is on or not, it moves me.

Pitchfork: Jazz can feel generally very male...

ES: Everything is male, man. Everything is male.

Pitchfork: Have you experienced being in the studio and someone being like, “Hey, you don’t know how to do this”?

ES: Yeah, and sometimes I didn't know how, which is cool too. There’s two sides of the coin: One where people don't expect you to do anything and won't let you do anything because they think you don't know how, and then the other side is when you're fucking up but they won't tell you because you're a girl. Then you don’t learn. But ultimately all that is complete bullshit, because if you wanna become better and do whatever it is you're doing, that is the rip of a Band-Aid.

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah read it this morning. its good.

Wharf Rat likes this.