Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Errata Security’s Notes on the WikiLeaks CIA Leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Robert Graham, writing for Errata Security:

I thought I’d write up some notes about the Wikileaks CIA “#vault7” leak. This post will be updated frequently over the next 24 hours.

The CIA didn’t remotely hack a TV. The docs are clear that they can update the software running on the TV using a USB drive. There’s no evidence of them doing so remotely over the Internet. If you aren’t afraid of the CIA breaking in an installing a listening device, then you should’t be afraid of the CIA installing listening software.

The CIA didn’t defeat Signal/WhatsApp encryption. The CIA has some exploits for Android/iPhone. If they can get on your phone, then of course they can record audio and screenshots. Technically, this bypasses/defeats encryption — but such phrases used by Wikileaks are highly misleading, since nothing related to Signal/WhatsApp is happening. What’s happening is the CIA is bypassing/defeating the phone. Sometimes. If they’ve got an exploit for it, or can trick you into installing their software.

This is a good post that corrects a lot of misinformation floating around.

2. heymattrick

Sending my love

I totally understand wanting to feel privacy but I do not understand what goes through people's minds with how upset they get about some of this stuff.

I am well aware that our government does not have the resources for somebody to hack into my webcam or microphone or whatever and spend any amount of time watching what I do. And if they did, that would be absolutely pathetic because I'm probably insanely boring to watch. And I certainly don't have anything to hide, at least on any level that would concern anybody.