Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Equifax: The Dumpster Fire Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan Goodin, writing for Ars Technica:

The breach Equifax reported Thursday, however, very possibly is the most severe of all for a simple reason: the breath-taking amount of highly sensitive data it handed over to criminals. By providing full names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and, in some cases, driver license numbers, it provided most of the information banks, insurance companies, and other businesses use to confirm consumers are who they claim to be. The theft, by criminals who exploited a security flaw on the Equifax website, opens the troubling prospect the data is now in the hands of hostile governments, criminal gangs, or both and will remain so indefinitely.

Brian Krebs:

I cannot recall a previous data breach in which the breached company’s public outreach and response has been so haphazard and ill-conceived as the one coming right now from big-three credit bureau Equifax, which rather clumsily announced Thursday that an intrusion jeopardized Social security numbers and other information on 143 million Americans.

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Is there a way to know if you've been affected and are screwed haha?

3. SmithBerryCrunch Sep 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2017)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

4. MUTigers77

Apparently I was affected as well. Why would I enroll to have them "protect" my info? I'd guess there is a whole ton of "protection" in place from the original contract with Equifax. If not, I'll be a part of any one of the massive lawsuits.