Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Envy On The Coast Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by I Am Mick, May 3, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Really digging this still. Interesting to see so many people thinking the pre-release songs are the weakest haha, not sure I agree.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I get a strong Incubus vibe every time I listen to "Inhaler".

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

agreed.

4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I like it, but it's easily their weakest release. I hope it was just a warmup for their reunion, and we'll get a proper full length soon

5. Bane

The spiciest meme

I went through Lucy Gray again yesterday and man oh man. Both that and Lowcountry are still super great. Vultures gets stuck in my head for hours.

OotyPa and airik625 like this.
  6. beachdude

How to Make a Man is SUCH a jam.

7. beachdude

Honestly, while I really like Lucy Gray and the self-titled EP, Lowcountry to me is in a totally different league and has quickly become one of my favorite albums from this scene. To me, Ritual continues from that direction and does some cool things with it... while it isn't on the level of Lowcountry, I prefer it to Lucy Gray and the first EP.

8. Bane

The spiciest meme

I can't imagine having Ritual over Lucy Gray but that's totally fair having Lowcountry above, I think that album is what really cemented them as being something of their own.

I Am Mick likes this.
  9. beachdude

I do like Lucy Gray but for the most part I think it's very similar to other records from that time period. Lowcountry like you said is what really made them stand out, and to me Ritual being a continuation of that sound to some extent already gives it a leg up on the pre-Lowcountry stuff to me.

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It's a fun EP. I like Inhaler a lot. Guess different strokes for different folks.

11. Yeah I'm not really sold on this. Appreciate that the vibe from LC is shared with this but it just feels kinda... watered down.

12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Sift is really the only track I don't like.

I Am Mick likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away

14. douchecanoe

Lioness was love at first listen

mattylikesfilms and beachdude42 like this.
  15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I just got around to playing Ritual. I really love this EP. It goes further in the dirty rock direction that I loved on Lowcountry. Hell, I even enjoy "Sift". Seems like I'm alone on that one though.

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’m a fan of it but I don’t think it reaches the heights Lowcountry did. I think it’s Ryan and Brian warming themselves up. Hopefully we get a follow up in 2018 that’s fully realized.

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, I agree with that. Lowcountry is a fantastic album, one that's hard to top. I'm pleased with the direction they seem to headed in though.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

Lowcountry is literally a perfect record, and while I did enjoy the new EP, I'm hoping they keep pursuing that dirty rock 'n roll / soul thing they had going on. Hopefully they don't just turn into 1st Vows (even though I really like 1st Vows)

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm pretty sure they said these were the songs they wrote immediately after Envy broke up and shelved for years. I like the groovy shit they've got going, but I hope they dirty it up and keep some aggression as well. Some of the new songs just don't go anywhere

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  20. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I like the 3rd track, "Black Days (Summertime)", but the rest didn't really appeal to me.

22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Interesting, though I'm guessing that "Use my QR code to pay me via cryptocurrency"-thing is a violation of the Bandcamp terms.

23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Looks like Envy is writing/recording new material by the looks of their Instagram. Nice.

24. beachdude

Fuck yeah. So down for a full-length.

airik625 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Same!

I felt like the EP was alright but a full length will be the band back in full action. Ritual was a warm up.