Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Envy On The Coast Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by I Am Mick, May 3, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Heh Virginia Girls is still one of my standouts, even the studio version. Honestly this is a pretty consistent release, both sonically and in terms of quality. Inhaler is an early standout though.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Do the other tracks hit a little harder than Manic and Virginia?

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. beachdude

Read my above post, for the most part I'd say those two songs are pretty indicative of the overall sound. That being said, I think the EP does a good job of having a consistent "sonic identity" while still going in different directions with each track. Inhaler is definitely the hardest hitting.

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Interesting...

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. beachdude

Yeah, honestly I'm not too surprised that they seem to be going this direction sonically. I'm definitely interested where they go from here.

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

no offense, but i feel like there is no better indication of mediocrity when a release makes someone looking forward to future releases already

7. beachdude

You can interpret it however you want lol... for me a six-track EP like this is more of an "appetizer" of things to come rather than something that should be treated like a full album. Especially in light of comments they made that the EP is a sort of bridge between the band's past and their future, since some of the songs were begun before the band's breakup. And I think it serves that purpose well.

8. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I agree. Just hope the wait isn't 2-3 years for a full length

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I don't know how I'm going to feel about this EP. There hasn't been a song that has "wowed" me aside from Virginia Girls live when I saw them on the last tour only to be let down by the studio version... :tear:

Hopefully I dig it cause I pre-ordered the vinyl just to support.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

ugghhh. these songs frustrate me. I love these guys, but damn they put me to sleep. especially this new one.

12. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I had never heard anything by them before, except their cover of "All Along the Watchtower", but I dig these 3 songs. I guess having no expectations of what they "should" sound like helps.

13. sawhney[rusted]2

Give Lowcountry a spin! It's much more driving and aggressive than these tracks, but still in the same vein (kind of). That album just has a lot more power than these three songs, and is extremely well done.

14. Elder Lightning

I plan to, I just haven't had a chance with all of the good music that's been coming out.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

Welp, plus you're a dad - you have even less time ! Glad you keep up with all of the new music...I'm hoping to be like you in the future!

KidLightning likes this.
  16. Elder Lightning

Streaming has really helped. It's nice to only have to budget $9.99/month to music (and then spend a little more and actually buy a record when I can) and to be able to access everything when I want. Plus being able to listen to music at work, which is where I listen the most (like right now).

I also make my kids listen to what I'm in the mood for (within reason). They're only 14-months old, so they're not making requests, they just think it's awesome that there is sound coming out of the speakers and go up to them to dance and drum.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Perfectly said.

18. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah that's how I explained it to my friend, there songs just don't sound as "full", in that there aren't as many deceptively catchy or hard hitting moments that bring you in. The new songs just don't have the daring and unrelenting vision of anything on LG or LC

19. mattylikesfilms Jun 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 22, 2017)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

It's true. Like I said, I loved "Virginia Girls" live and was so excited to hear a studio version but once I did it felt so... ok? It feels half baked in some ways.

Lowcountry is one of my all time favorite records. Legitimately, I love that record start to finish and it still gives me chills. These songs do not and I'm worried I'm going to be let down and that would just suck so much.. cause I've been so excited for this EP.

20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved the first two tracks they've released, felt like an evolution to Lowcountry (embracing the groove, moving further from their post-hardcore beginnings) but Sift is a miss for me. Doesn't feel like EOTC AT ALL. It's not a bad song, but it's not great either.

I do hope they bring back some of the edge in the future, but I'm fine with groovy fucktunes

21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

22. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

all of these songs sound like decent b-sides, but really nothing special. it was probably a bad idea to finish a bunch of songs they wrote 7 years ago instead of just writing in the now. i don't want to say they don't feel authentic, because they are authentic, but they don't feel authentic

pauljgreco, airik625 and Joe4th like this.
  23. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I'm treating this EP as an appetizer. I really think with some momentum froma good tour or two they will come back with something great.

If it ends up being bad, I guess we know how much they depended on the other dudes in the band.

I Am Mick and mattylikesfilms like this.
  24. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Just listened to Sift for the first time. The first minute or so I was really feeling it, but then when the chorus started it kinda lost me

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I wouldn't be surprised if Sift is just an unused 1st Vows track that they threw on the EP