Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Envy on the Coast Kinda Reunites but Not Really

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Envy on the Coast recently announced three reunion shows, but a statement released today says that it won’t include three of the band’s founding members:

In light of the recent announcement about the upcoming Envy On The Coast dates, we wanted to take the opportunity to officially let everyone know that the three of us will not be participating in these shows. Recently the idea of reuniting to do shows was collectively discussed at length, though we were unable to reach a unanimous decision about how exactly we would move forward, if at all. It was in the aftermath of these discussions that two of our individual members decided that they would go out on their own using the Envy On The Coast name. Rest assured, our not being a part of these shows is not for lack of desire. We hold the legacy of this band near and dear to our hearts, as well as the decade of unwavering support and enthusiasm from the lifeblood of Envy On The Coast — you guys, the fans. However, we do not want the public to be misled that this will be a full reunion with all five original members. We love all of you, we are forever grateful for your continued support, and nothing will ever change that.

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Kind of a bummer. This band was fantastic, especially on Lowcountry.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  3. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

No Sal, no care

4. schackbr

Regular

anybody know who the primary songwriters were in this band?

still interested in seeing this live. ryan's voice is incredible.

5. SayHello

Regular

This is silly.

6. Nice of them to do this for the fans, but the whole situation just feels kinda weird haha.

7. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Like we were talking about in the official thread the 2 guys that make up 1st Vows (Ryan & Brian) just had fun playing some EOTC songs so they decided they would play a couple EOTC shows but without the whole squad. It's less about using the name and more about just playing the discography live.

8. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

So it's just Ryan and Brian? And Dan was in the running to return as well? Damn, that would've been killer.

9. LionInMyPocket

If I had to guess I would say Sal with help from Ryan but this is pure speculation from Post-EOTC side projects.

Jacob Davidson likes this.
  10. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Decent size venue on LI. I wonder who the support will be.

11. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Excited, but the situation is kind of strange. Sal, Dan, and Jer seem pretty upset about this from the statement.
    I never got a chance to see EOTC, so this will probably be my only shot at ever seeing these songs live. Can't miss it.

12. Eric

Regular

I don't really care about this band but it does seem like a weird situation. Guess it's cool that they're open with fans about who's actually playing in the band. At least they didn't pull a Mars Volta

13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Figured this was the case, oh well. I won't be able to make it to any of the shows anyway, I just really want new music from them

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Envy On The Coast: This is not a reunion, but a reincarnation - Features - Alternative Press

[summary because fuck giving Alt Press more traffic] Ryan and Brian talked about the reunion, made it seem like they've been trying to get it going for over a year and the other guys weren't as excited. Also worth noting that the drummer for these shows is the touring drummer they had after Lowcountry. They're going to see how these shows go and are open to more touring and claim to new music they've been sitting on.

Excited.

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

From their most recent interview, they make it seem like Ryan/Brian were the largest contributors to Lowcountry. But who knows for sure

16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Would have been awesome to see Jeremy and Sal return..

Still excited for this though.

17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Well that has me even more excited..

18. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Would be cool if they all came back but I'll definitely take this as well. I remember seeing this band at my first concert ever, opening for Anberlin and Taking Back Sunday in 2009. LOWCOUNTRY is such a dope record and I think it's actually gotten better over time for me. Hope to hear some new music!

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Idk why people think this is anything less than awesome. The other three band members didnt want to reunite so the remaining two are replacing them with other band members. It only makes sense, and im perfectly fine with that if it means they get to continue to exist and tour and make new records

20. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Entire situation is really bizarre. Sal and Jer were key to the band so it makes sense for people to be upset. Excited to see the songs played live again, but definitely didn't need it to happen

21. LionInMyPocket

Sounds like they have some new music they've been sitting on! That excites me! Ryan's voice is a lot of what I love about EOTC and even though i think Sal was a huge part it seems like they have capable hands and I've heard songs Ryan has written that gives me hope. Also this song is such a jam by Sal... Really hope we get Heavy English LP this year.

mattylikesfilms and OotyPa like this.
  22. GhostOverground

The way they announced this was a buzzkill. First I see the shows, and then days later I see it is 2/5 of the EOTC members. My hopes were way up for a minute.

pauljgreco likes this.
  23. LionInMyPocket

I personally welcome the fact that new music seems extremely likely from Ryan, Brian and the new crew. Would kill to have Heavy English LP and EOTC EP by the end of the year. That article got me excited that there definitely seems to be some new EOTC songs on the horizon. Also it sounds like Ryan, Sal, and Brian were the main writers.

24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I'd love to have new music from EOTC, sad to see it's not everybody from their former line-up, seeing as I obviously loved the interaction of some added second vocals, but that's gonna be neat anyway. I enjoy 1ST VOWS a lot as well, I liked NK and so on, but EOTC was really special, both albums sounded so influential for me.