Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment That Let You Down • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by DarkHotline, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Game of Thrones recently has been disappointing a lot of the time to me... especially the last few seasons. Lady in the Water. Every Marvel movie since the first Iron Man. Alien 3.

2. Davjs

Trusted

I actually liked Dexter up until the last EP actually lol. I just try to forget the ridiculous subplot of Deb being in love with Dexter.

Winter Solider, Civil War and Ant Man?

3. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Sadly, no to all three. It's become a general "no" to Marvel for me. I'm completely jaded by the studio's approach as a whole at this point. Another rebooting of Spider-Man... I just can't. I won't.

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Lol I literally had to explain to someone the other day just how bullshit that ending was. I spent years of my life watching that show, even after it stopped being as good as the early seasons, and that was the most insulting way to end that show. I'm still mad, why couldn't they have stuck with the alternative ending?

5. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Dope was a huge disappointment for me, it had its moments but overall it was pretty corny and had absurd plot points, along with a tacked-on political message that had nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

6. Davjs

Trusted

I mean, as much as I didn't like it at the time.....it makes soooo much sense that this was a Ted and Robin story the whole time. Why would he keep telling his kids how much he slept and connected with Robin the whole show lol

Edit: If that were the case, the show could have started at Robin and Barney's Wedding.

7. Davjs

Trusted

I still loved it, the music and flow to me worked. I didn't think too much about the message tbh.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Dope was a surprisingly great film for me.

Davjs likes this.
  9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

True but that was like the worst way they could've end that. Like why bother drumming up all this stuff about the mother if you're going to end it that way?

10. Davjs

Trusted

Because I think the Mother was his true soul mate, but she was took from him. Years later after his kids are grown, he just wants to spend the latter of his life with the one he spent a ton of his best times with? I dunno, I think they were also going for a dramatic moment people wouldn't see coming and then end with a hopeful/happy moment that mirrors the first EP as a nice call back.

DarkHotline likes this.
  11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Jurassic world was awful
    himym's last season
    man of steel and batman v superman
    arrow has been on a decline but i'm still holding out hope for next season
    i also don't care half as much for frozen as most people seem to

12. fronkensteen

Trusted

I'm quoting all of this because I don't understand or disagree with these issues:

1. Individual scenes that don't add up to any sort of a coherent whole? Can you expound on that? Like, with examples?

2. What's wrong with the movies being about men? Or that the women characters had lesser parts?

3. Pretending Robert Ford was gay? What are you talking about?

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Dominik's films are always about the stylistic flair of the individual scene, even if it ultimately adds up to very little. The shootout between the two minor-league gang members in the house is there to add some life into the dreariness, but its impact is minimal to the storyline. It is supposed to be the catalyst for James suspecting Ford, but that had already been there throughout.

Women are underrepresented in film, and when they are in films they are given minimal roles. In The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, you have the wife of the old man who sleeps with one of the robbers, the sister of Ford who does nothing, the wife of James who just sort of stands around, and the girlfriend of Ford at the very end who is around for a minute. Just like any other film, you lose an element when you do not show female perspectives.

I do not know how to further go into the third point. There is no evidence that Ford was gay or in love with James, but the film pursues that narrative anyway. It is meant to add another layer to a story that anyone with Wikipedia can tell you the ending to, but it is a lazy device stolen from American Beauty and so many others.

14. chris

Trusted Supporter

will echo Arrested Development S4, was really disappointed in that. The jokes weren't even all bad or anything, but the format focusing on individual characters per episode just got tired super quick for me. I also had really high expectations. If it ever gets recut as has been hinted I think my opinion on it will change pretty dramatically

15. fronkensteen

Trusted

I appreciate that you answered quickly, but it feels like you're taking your opinions and stating them as facts. I'm the most familiar with The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford out of his movies, so I'm going to use that movie for my points:

1. I don't think that the individual scenes add up to very little. The awkwardness and tension and suspense that is throughout most the movie is great and it's re-telling a true story. If you don't find it interesting or whatever, that's cool, I just disagree.

2. I think creating new characters and/or purposefully squeezing them into movies is pandering and lame. The story is primarily about Robert Ford and Jesse James, and a few other scenes from people like Charlie, Dick, Ed, and Wood. If there was a significant impact from a woman in his life that had to do with the story the director or writer wanted to tell, he would have put it in there.

3. How exactly does the film pursue Robert being gay? I've watched it dozens of times and unless I'm completely missing something, I can't recall anything that suggests that. He was obsessed with Jesse, but that's it.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

in general female representation is lacking and I just found it particularly galling, there are plenty of movies about men, not saying you can't make a great movie with just men look at Reservoir Dogs

17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

lol. Our conflicting views on Spider-Man films will likely clash forever and ever amen. My first viewing of the first Spider-Man as a child, and the end of the Andrew Garfield ASM world, are both among my biggest disappointments in entertainment. ASM2 being viewed as unsalvageable at the same time that MoS was being viewed as a good jumping off point for like a dozen films will always be a massive head-scratcher to me. Oh well. With any luck, Homecoming will be good enough for me to rarely hear anyone talk about Tobey Maquire as Peter Parker for the rest of my life.

The drop from Arrow S2 to S3 still baffles me. I want to hold out hope for the series' future, but I kinda find it easier pretending the show ended after S2, lol. And, yeah, I didn't like almost anything about Jurassic World, which is a shame 'cause I like Chris Pratt a lot and really enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed.

lightning13 likes this.
  18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

one good thing that came out of jurassic world is a hearthstone meme

[​IMG]

19. fronkensteen

Trusted

I kind of understand this, but pointing at Killing Them Softly and saying it's a negative doesn't make sense when you say Reservoir Dogs is a great movie.

20. Tim

My favorite thing to come out of Jurassic World:
    [​IMG]

This should have been the movie.

Davjs and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. fronkensteen

Trusted

Please tell me that that isn't photoshopped.

22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Ended on a massive cliffhanger in 2007, still no resolution!

Ken likes this.
  23. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

24. Tim

Of course it is. We do not live in a world pure enough to deserve an actual major blockbuster where velociraptors ride motorcycles.

:chin:

fronkensteen and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  25. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Whoops, didn't see that they were on motorcycles lol. I thought they were just running next to him.